Author Topic: HID Tech Best Cold weather Performer (Xenon Arc/ Carbon Arc/ MH/ MV/ HPS/ LPS)  (Read 1091 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
HID Tech Best Cold weather Performer (Xenon Arc/ Carbon Arc/ MH/ MV/ HPS/ LPS) « on: December 15, 2017, 09:32:46 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Which of this lamp technologies Do you guys think perform the best in cold weather? I'm talking in negative temps, Reason i ask is just out of pure curiosity, looking out the window at the various HPS and MV fixtures made me wonder....

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: HID Tech Best Cold weather Performer (Xenon Arc/ Carbon Arc/ MH/ MV/ HPS/ LPS) « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 12:54:03 AM » Author: dor123
Xenon arc and carbon arc performs best at extremely cold weather, xenon because it contains only xenon and don't needs to vaporize anything inside the arctube to reach full output, and carbon arc because it don't need to warm-up at all, and is some forms similar to a an electrical flame. Next are the HPS lamps, pulse-start MH lamps with vacuum outer jacket, and ceramic MH lamps with vacuum outer jacket. They can operate at full brightness at 113*F (45*C) minimum.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HID Tech Best Cold weather Performer (Xenon Arc/ Carbon Arc/ MH/ MV/ HPS/ LPS) « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 01:44:44 AM » Author: Medved
When compared how the light is generated, carbon arc is in fact an incandescen light source. And because it operates at such high temperature, the 45degC change (caused when the ambient goes from zero to the -45) makes not that much difference there, compare to all other effects.
But at such cold temperatures I would suspect the mechanical electrode adjustment system the carbon arc needs will have some problems operating correctly.

Andfor the others: Ignoring the potential ballast problems (mainly electronic - electrolytic capacitors will have very high ESR, component parameter shifts may be so severe the circuit my not be working at all; talking about temperatures below the designed minimum) the lower the operating temperature, more effect the cold ambient would have. The thing is, hotter the lamp operates, the more itbwould be sensitive to power changes, so needs some form of temperature stabilization mechanism. And this mechanism then covers for the ambient temperature as well. Most dominant mechanism in practically all high temperature sources is the thermal radiation (power proportional to (absolute temperature)^4), which becomes stronger at higher temperatures.
So no wonder the worst are the fluorescent (inherently sensitive, but mainly folow the ambient), followed by LPS and the best are then the incandescent sources (inherenly sensitive too, but very strong temperature stabilization by the radiation). The LEDs may have even better efficacy (that alone would make them better than the best), but their color will shift (that is a performance degradation).

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies