Author Topic: Philips Smart Starter  (Read 383 times)
TheDischargeGuy16

View Posts
View Gallery

SGS 203

Philips Smart Starter « on: May 06, 2024, 09:57:08 AM » Author: TheDischargeGuy16
Did this starter exist or is it a scam/joke?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLDfj4i7TJY

LED hater since born

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Philips Smart Starter « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 05:33:28 PM » Author: Rommie
That video is 12 years old, the link in its description goes nowhere, so I don't know. I've never heard of it, anyway.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

Re: Philips Smart Starter « Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 06:04:40 PM » Author: Lcubed3
Here is an archive of the website: https://web.archive.org/web/20131126232859/http://smartstarter.eu/smart_idea.html
I don't see how it would work, as starters are normally open switches.

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Philips Smart Starter « Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 06:14:07 PM » Author: Rommie
A programmable electronic starter, maybe..?  :wndr:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Philips Smart Starter « Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 10:59:54 PM » Author: Patrick
Could it shut the lights off by closing, while also limiting current to only a trickle, preventing the lamp from lighting while using less power than an ordinary starter that had stuck closed?

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips Smart Starter « Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 12:06:00 AM » Author: Medved
It may work for T8, where the 230V is not enough to ignite the discharge even with hot electrodes, so it may quench the arc, as well as restrike it on demand.
I think it was doomed to failure from the getgo: Because at the time when the technology allows to integrate the wireless protocol into a starter body the magnetic ballasts fell out of use, so the only use was with upgrading existing installations. Not that much of market to justify the rather costly development.
This video seems to me just as a teaser, sensing whether it does make any commercial sense to actually develop such thing. And the result clearly was it does not, as we have not seen any such product...

No more selfballasted c***

TheDischargeGuy16

View Posts
View Gallery

SGS 203

Re: Philips Smart Starter « Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 10:11:55 AM » Author: TheDischargeGuy16
It was better/cheaper to use an electronic ballast instead of this

LED hater since born

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies