Author Topic: Help finding a 60R14 Intermediate Base Mini Reflector Bulb for Lava Lamp  (Read 4203 times)
refridgedude1841

View Posts
View Gallery

Help finding a 60R14 Intermediate Base Mini Reflector Bulb for Lava Lamp « on: September 06, 2013, 12:40:31 AM » Author: refridgedude1841
Hoping maybe someone here either has some of these stockpiled, or knows where to find some in stock...they seem to be very rare in 60 watt...40 watts are all over but they aren't quite enough for the lava lamp to work properly. 

Its an intermediate base type R14 reflector bulb, looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-03626-40R14-Incandescent-Intermediate/dp/B000LNO0ES  but I need it in 60 watts, not 40 or 25.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Help finding a 60R14 Intermediate Base Mini Reflector Bulb for Lava Lamp « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 04:25:34 AM » Author: dor123
I think that a reflector lamp would make the temperature of the material inside the lamp higher than 140degF, which is the required temperature for the lava lamp to operate, since all the infra red radiation is concentrated on the lava, so that the process will be stopped and the material will float onto itself. Usually an A shaped 25-40W incandescent lamp is required for the process to operate successfully.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

jrmcferren

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Help finding a 60R14 Intermediate Base Mini Reflector Bulb for Lava Lamp « Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 04:25:23 PM » Author: jrmcferren
I think that a reflector lamp would make the temperature of the material inside the lamp higher than 140degF, which is the required temperature for the lava lamp to operate, since all the infra red radiation is concentrated on the lava, so that the process will be stopped and the material will float onto itself. Usually an A shaped 25-40W incandescent lamp is required for the process to operate successfully.

I agree that 60 watts is a bit high, but my lava lamp uses a 25R14 lamp.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Help finding a 60R14 Intermediate Base Mini Reflector Bulb for Lava Lamp « Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 06:09:19 PM » Author: Ash
Maybe try GU10 adapter + 50w halogen (preferrably NOT dichroic one) ?
refridgedude1841

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Help finding a 60R14 Intermediate Base Mini Reflector Bulb for Lava Lamp « Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 09:58:27 PM » Author: refridgedude1841
I agree, the 60w does indeed seem high...all my others except for the Lava Grande's use at most a 40 watt, or a 25 watt.  The Grande's use a 100 watt, but they are 250 ounce.  This particular one that uses the 60 watt is a tall one though...it's globe is about 4 feet long.  Here's a link to a similar one: 

http://www.amazon.com/Tower-Lava-Motion-Lamp-Black/dp/B002WVFY7E#productDetails

I have an r14 40 watt in it now and it does flow, but its sluggish and takes forever to get going. 

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Help finding a 60R14 Intermediate Base Mini Reflector Bulb for Lava Lamp « Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 12:56:46 AM » Author: Medved
With lava lamps, you have to keep the exact rated lamp wattage and form, the thermal balance is there simply very tight.
When converting to another form (not only socket, but switching to halogen energy savers instead of classic), be prepared for experiments with different power ratings and height adjustments. A dimmer could help too...

No more selfballasted c***

refridgedude1841

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Help finding a 60R14 Intermediate Base Mini Reflector Bulb for Lava Lamp « Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 11:42:31 PM » Author: refridgedude1841
Any other suggestions?  This lava lamp came from the factory with the 60 watt r14 bulb...its not like I'm looking to put a higher wattage in it.  It was designed to work with a 60 watt, but they are impossible to find.  Going to end up junking the lamp I guess.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Help finding a 60R14 Intermediate Base Mini Reflector Bulb for Lava Lamp « Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 12:25:16 AM » Author: Medved
In order to work, you have to provide to the lamp the same heat as the 60W lamp. If it become impossible to get directly the exact 60W lamp, you have to put there higher nominal wattage and reduce it's power electrically (so by the dimmer) to 60W, so the lamp get it's 60W it need.
Once you find the correct setting (wax accumulating in the tip mean too much, staying at the bottom mean too little heat), it isn't a bad idea to remove the setting "handle", so you can not accidentally change the dimmer setting.

You can experiment with 50+W halogen MR16, as these have more efficient reflector, but it should not be the "cold beam" type (here you need mainly the IR to be focused forward onto the wax bottle).

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies