Author Topic: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House?  (Read 18151 times)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #30 on: December 17, 2011, 11:17:21 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I have this on the front, with an 18watt LPS lamp in, and this at the back of the house with a 250watt HPS lamp in.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #31 on: December 17, 2011, 11:19:31 AM » Author: Ash
I dont have any in full time work, as there is enough light coming from outside. When i actually need light, it can be anything from a LED to 400W MH depending on what i need at the moment
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #32 on: December 20, 2011, 10:05:03 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Depends on the time of year...I've got 4 1-lamp 4-foot fluorescents - all with electronic ballasts (for energy saving and reliable starting in freezing cold), most of the year I only run 2 of them (from midnight til morning), but for late November til Mid January I use all 4 fixtures

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #33 on: December 20, 2011, 10:09:14 PM » Author: sol
This is my security light, a Cooper Vanguard III with a coated 175W MV and a Magnetek H39 only ballast.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #34 on: December 20, 2011, 10:33:51 PM » Author: joseph_125
I use a 35w HPS tallpack on the side and a 100w MV patio light in the back.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #35 on: December 21, 2011, 04:21:05 AM » Author: Medved
Here the electricity is pretty expensive, so people use either no lights or (more recently) controlled by motion detectors, in most cases incandescents.

No more selfballasted c***

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #36 on: December 25, 2011, 07:11:20 PM » Author: toomanybulbs
65w fluorex plastic junker till i rehab the old ge metal and glass unit.
was 100w mv.bulb was real tired and ballast buzzing loudly.will have 2x 42w plug in cfl when i am done.
the flourex was free and had 2 bad caps keeping it out.got two free new bulbs but i doubt it will live to use them up.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #37 on: December 26, 2011, 04:35:57 AM » Author: dor123
My hostel illuminates outside by four globes with CFLs and incandescents (Only two working, and the two working have Eurolux CFLs).
The back of my hostel illuminated by 2x36W T8 preheat/switchstart fixture, which usually isn't in use.
My father home enterance uses fixture that have an energy saving CFL.
My mother home enterance uses street number and name backlit sign that uses 2-pin PL-S 11W with preheat/switchstart magnetic ballast. It had a photocell in the past, but it was distroyed, because of the switch, and currently it is only manual switched, and usually no in use.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #38 on: December 26, 2011, 06:42:05 PM » Author: nogden
I have a  :mv: 175 watt MV NEMA with standard refractor in the yard. I'll have to take a picture of it someday. Its been up there on the pole longer than I've been around and I've always just taken it for granted. Never thought about it being something interesting until recently. I've grown up with mercury, so until recently, just figured it was the norm for outdoor lighting.
BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #39 on: February 07, 2012, 04:37:44 PM » Author: BG101
I run a Nordex Astra 1 with photocell on a 15ft pole in the back yard, using an Eye 80W clear mercury vapour lamp. It's the only clear MV lamp I know of in use for outdoor lighting here, I've never seen another clear MV lamp running in the UK! There must be others surely! The original coated bulb was causing the nearby tree to extend its branches towards the light and also encouraging the weeds ...  ::)

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

Brisluminous
Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #40 on: July 25, 2012, 06:54:36 AM » Author: Brisluminous
At the moment, an incandescent on an old brass swan neck.

But we live directly across from a railway station, so we don't need much in the way of 'extra lights'

I intend to install my Thorn 2 x 20 Stradalux's around the house, but I need to make the brackets for them!
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #41 on: July 25, 2012, 08:04:34 AM » Author: dor123
Why HID lamps are so popular in household use in North America, compared to the rest of the world!?!? Almost all of the american LG members, almost always uses HID lanterns for security lighting at their homes (Without the relationship to them being lighting collectors), what isn't exists in the rest of the world.
In Israel, security lighting, is done either by incandescent, SBMV and now CFLs globe lanterns, fluorescent battens or halogen floodlights with motion detectors, which gradually being replaced by CFL floodlights, because all double ended halogen lamps were banned in Israel.
MH floodlights as a security lighting at the enterance of residential buildings, appeared only recently, after the ban of the incandescent and halogen lamps over 60W.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #42 on: July 25, 2012, 08:28:42 PM » Author: joseph_125
Why HID lamps are so popular in household use in North America, compared to the rest of the world!?!? Almost all of the american LG members, almost always uses HID lanterns for security lighting at their homes (Without the relationship to them being lighting collectors), what isn't exists in the rest of the world.
In Israel, security lighting, is done either by incandescent, SBMV and now CFLs globe lanterns, fluorescent battens or halogen floodlights with motion detectors, which gradually being replaced by CFL floodlights, because all double ended halogen lamps were banned in Israel.
MH floodlights as a security lighting at the enterance of residential buildings, appeared only recently, after the ban of the incandescent and halogen lamps over 60W.

HID security lights are not that popular here for security lighting in urban and suburban areas...I think you're exaggerating and generalizing about North America based on what you see here again. Remember that since this is a lighting site so members here would be more willing than the public to pay extra to install HID lighting. The only place where HID security lighting is somewhat popular are in rural areas.

Most security lights here use incandescent, halogen, and CFL.  
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:30:58 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #43 on: July 25, 2012, 09:00:20 PM » Author: nogden
Mercury vapor and metal halide lights are nearly ubiquitous as yard lights around here. NEMA heads and other similar bucket lights are everywhere. Nearly every farm seems to have one. Halogen and incandescent are common around homes and garages to provided localized lighting, sometimes on a motion sensor. I'm just starting to see some CFL floodlights, but they are rare (and for good reason, they seem to be poorly built and dim!).
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Kind Of Security Lights Are Illuminating The Outside Of Your House? « Reply #44 on: July 26, 2012, 03:01:16 PM » Author: Ash
Yep i can confirm this about the CFL floods... Lately we also have LED floodlights using the same enclosures as halogens, but they are not too bright, but i think a lot better than the CFLs
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies