Author Topic: When SOX lighting was common in the UK, did it have the least skyglow in Europe?  (Read 1230 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
When SOX lighting was common in the UK, did it have the least skyglow in Europe? « on: October 19, 2020, 03:48:31 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Does anyone know if the UK was the least light polluted country in Europe when SOX street lighting was the norm?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: When SOX lighting was common in the UK, did it have the least skyglow in Europe? « Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 03:55:29 PM » Author: AngryHorse
No, not at all, very few Sox lanterns were fully cut off, so orange sky glow has always been with us, just the same as it is now with LED!
The only difference was, it could be filtered out by astronomers better.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: When SOX lighting was common in the UK, did it have the least skyglow in Europe? « Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 06:02:06 PM » Author: Ash
Besides the luminaire cutoff, there is also light reflected from the Earth. It can be low for a luminaire above an area of mud, or very high above fresh snow...

And this depends to a large extent on the light quantity in general, including light that is directed down from the luminaire

And this depends on trends, that could go both ways :

1. Old lighting setups tend to have lower light levels that were deemed acceptable at the time, and new lighting setups tend to over illuminate the area, often under claims of improving safety or "higher standards" in general

2. As LED lighting is not more efficient than HPS, the only way to use LEDs to fulfill arbitrary energy saving goals, is to cut down on the light levels when doing a LED conversion. This results also in cutting down on the sky glow levels
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: When SOX lighting was common in the UK, did it have the least skyglow in Europe? « Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 06:25:58 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Besides the luminaire cutoff, there is also light reflected from the Earth. It can be low for a luminaire above an area of mud, or very high above fresh snow...

And this depends to a large extent on the light quantity in general, including light that is directed down from the luminaire

1. Old lighting setups tend to have lower light levels that were deemed acceptable at the time, and new lighting setups tend to over illuminate the area, often under claims of improving safety or "higher standards" in general

2. As LED lighting is not more efficient than HPS, the only way to use LEDs to fulfill arbitrary energy saving goals, is to cut down on the light levels when doing a LED conversion. This results also in cutting down on the sky glow levels

It seems stupid that some lighting companies have discontinued HID ballasts such as Advance, Venture, and Eltam in favor of LED.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: When SOX lighting was common in the UK, did it have the least skyglow in Europe? « Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 11:57:09 PM » Author: dor123
It seems stupid that some lighting companies have discontinued HID ballasts such as Advance, Venture, and Eltam in favor of LED.
Eltam factory has been closed down.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: When SOX lighting was common in the UK, did it have the least skyglow in Europe? « Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 07:30:43 AM » Author: Medved

Old lighting used very inefficient optics, so a lot of the light did not contribute to the desired illumination level, but just became light pollution.
Plus lights were designed with assuming very significant output degradation, so in order to meet the requirement at their end of life, the average output had to be way higher.
And LEDs benefit mainly from the possibility of accurate beam control and rather strict standard for lifetime output reduction (strictly 70%, for other light sources the EOL output was anticipated somewhere between 50 to 30%).
And with LEDs, there is quite strong purchase cost related push to install only the output really needed. And not many times higher as was the case with many HID from the last 20..30 years.

Plus there is wider selection of LED outputs, so an installation could be more accurately designed.
But all that depends if the one designing the installation and specifying the exact fixtures to be used does his homework properly of if it goes as a lazy quickie... Unfortunately the later seems to be the case way too often.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies