Author Topic: What is the purpose of gu24 base bulbs?  (Read 1864 times)
Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

HID lighting is the best!!!

What is the purpose of gu24 base bulbs? « on: September 09, 2023, 05:57:17 PM » Author: Robotjulep
Why are newer homes using gu24 base sockets and lamps? It seems like they are not backwards compatible with incandescent or halogen. They only work with CFL or LED. Also, they cost more than their e26 counterparts. Does anyone know why?

On side note: It makes these gu24 bulbs very easy do use without a lamp holder. Simply solder on wires to the gu24 base bulb and you have an integrated light.

I collect:
Light bulbs, fixtures, and gear,
Electric motors (Preferably AC induction motors),
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is the purpose of gu24 base bulbs? « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 06:11:58 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 You answered your own question !  Their purpose is to prevent you from using non-energy efficient lighting such as halogen or incandescent !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: What is the purpose of gu24 base bulbs? « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 06:36:43 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
GU24 sockets and bases can burn in hell for all I care. They're such a pain in the you-know-what to find what variety you want, even with LED and CFL; when GU24 lamps can be found, they're only available in a few wattages and color temperatures. :curse: Also, they're huge, so, a lot of the time, they won't even fit in an enclosed fixture. Not to mention that they'll stick out of an open fixture, such as a wall sconce.

Rant over.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is the purpose of gu24 base bulbs? « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 06:44:39 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I recently bought a Panasonic bathroom fan/light combo from ReStore that uses a GU24 R-30 LED flood . I plan on installing a normal medium base socket so I can run what I want ! The supplied lamp is extremely dim !

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: What is the purpose of gu24 base bulbs? « Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 03:11:00 AM » Author: Richmond2000
the laundry room and the "coal shoot" both have GU24 LOW profile florescent CFL lights and those things are lucky to last a year and have swapped to LED due to CFL not in stock anymore and those burn out in a year +/- and the lest one gone dead short and made a "mess" of the fixture and tripped the fuses
as far as I am concerned they can ROT where the sun don't shine
as for GU24 I have seen a "florescent" drum light that took 2X CFL on GU24 base at the restore and it was left to ROT on the shelf
Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is the purpose of gu24 base bulbs? « Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 03:43:15 PM » Author: Robotjulep
How many watts can a GU24 base handle?

I collect:
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is the purpose of gu24 base bulbs? « Reply #6 on: September 10, 2023, 04:30:22 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I think the highest I remember seeing in a CFL was 23w , 100w equiv. . I may be wrong though

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is the purpose of gu24 base bulbs? « Reply #7 on: September 10, 2023, 10:53:35 PM » Author: Robotjulep
I thought GU base lamps are only for preheat fluorescent starters, but these gu24 ones in particular, are rather useless.

I collect:
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is the purpose of gu24 base bulbs? « Reply #8 on: September 10, 2023, 11:00:58 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5209&pos=0&pid=228499  It's listed as 720 lumens but it's not even as bright as an incandescent 30R20 !!   You can also get GU based MR-16 lamps .

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is the purpose of gu24 base bulbs? « Reply #9 on: September 10, 2023, 11:53:41 PM » Author: Robotjulep
Recently, I got MR-16 halogen can lights from a restore. They use a ceramic base instead of a plastic base. Too bad they never made any PAR-30 or PAR-38 GU-24 halogen floods.

I collect:
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What is the purpose of gu24 base bulbs? « Reply #10 on: September 11, 2023, 08:03:37 AM » Author: Rommie
Back when CFL first came in, they tried to force us to use them here by installing modified bayonet cap lampholders in new build houses. They were similar to the 3-pin BC sockets once common with mercury lamps here, but the pins were at a different offset. Needless to say anyone with any sense just changed them out for normal 2-pin BC sockets.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is the purpose of gu24 base bulbs? « Reply #11 on: September 11, 2023, 11:04:10 AM » Author: Robotjulep
So manufacturers do this everywhere? Just because consumers like the price of incandescent more than CFL or L*D, manufacturers try to force them to buy their stuff by changing compatibility. That is rather sneaky.

I collect:
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What is the purpose of gu24 base bulbs? « Reply #12 on: September 11, 2023, 11:26:32 AM » Author: Rommie
They gave up on it here, they just removed everything but L*D from the shelves  :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: What is the purpose of gu24 base bulbs? « Reply #13 on: September 11, 2023, 12:06:11 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Design wise, the GU24 base socket seems like it is a good design. The bulbs are easier to put in or take out in an enclosed space, and the live terminals (and the lamp base when inserted) are shrouded so that you can't touch them.

But unfortunately they used them to force "energy efficient" lighting technologies on us.

Another thing that people didn't like is there was no version for 3 way lamps, but the designers probably could have added that by adding another version to the standard with a pin in the middle.

So overall in my opinion it is a decent design with a wasted potential. If they had designed it with the intention of being a better lampholder and made all lamps in the GU24 base format (including incandescent and halogen) and had not used it to force people to use CFLs and LEDs, then I would like it.

Also, they're huge, so, a lot of the time, they won't even fit in an enclosed fixture. Not to mention that they'll stick out of an open fixture, such as a wall sconce.
When I have seen GU24 base fixtures in the wild, I have never seen lamps sticking out or not fitting.
They are actually shallower than an E26 socket, and since they don't need to be screwed in, so they are quite practical for enclosed fixtures.

They're such a pain in the you-know-what to find what variety you want, even with LED and CFL; when GU24 lamps can be found, they're only available in a few wattages and color temperatures.
But this is definitely true.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 12:13:59 PM by HIDLad001 » Logged

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

Robotjulep

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What is the purpose of gu24 base bulbs? « Reply #14 on: September 11, 2023, 01:36:50 PM » Author: Robotjulep
Well, the lighting industry is going from glass to plastic, unfortunately. Also, quality control is not very good either. Occasionally, there is a good L*D lamp but that doesn't often occur.

I collect:
Computers,
and Stereo equipment.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies