Author Topic: What was (is) your children's room lighting?  (Read 711 times)
merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
What was (is) your children's room lighting? « on: January 21, 2024, 07:51:40 AM » Author: merc
End of 1970's and all the 1980's:

Main: 3x 100W incandescent Tesla Intima (see the attachment), bare (just with metallic sleeves covering the sockets), in various heights. Since ~1985 used with a touch sensor switch with a dimmer.
When Philips Prismatic appeared (here in early 1990's), I replaced them with these blinking beauties. (Of course, the dimming wasn't an option anymore.)

Table lamp: Classic design, usually used with reflector lamps but also with a 60W Philips Daylight incandescent for some time.
Later replaced with a table lamp using 11W or 9W PL-S fluorescent.

Night light: Home made lamp: Turned up massive cubic clear ink-bottle on a wooden block with a telephone lamp inside, dimmed with a capacitor to run at a reduced power.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: What was (is) your children's room lighting? « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2024, 11:57:42 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
In my bedroom, I have a ceiling fan that originally used a light kit that was designed for a single 60W incandescent lamp. Later on, I got the light kit replaced with another light kit that was designed for 3 60W incandescent lamps instead of one, and currently, my bedroom ceiling fan uses an imported Japanese market 100V 50Hz 32W preheat circline fluorescent pendant light fixture as its light kit and it’s really fun watching the lamp blink to life and hear the ballast humming.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 11:59:43 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: What was (is) your children's room lighting? « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 02:13:29 AM » Author: icefoglights
My childhood bedroom was a 2-bulb cluster light with a round glass shade.  At some point after my dad disassembled his dark room, he put the red safelight bulb up in my cluster light in place of one of the regular bulbs.
When I was 11, that light was replaced with a single bulb porcelain fixture, so I could use a circline adapter.  I later went back to the cluster light with two Circlite 75 adapters.  Eventually went back to regular 55 watt "Miser" bulbs.  Later in high school, I moved to a different room in the house with a wall-mounted light.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: What was (is) your children's room lighting? « Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 04:13:22 AM » Author: Richmond2000
childhood home was a 50s era "MCM" rancher and the ceilings were vaulted and the light was wall mounted at first had a big standard 70s bedroom light with the square glass shade over the 2 bulbs later it got replaced with a bathroom style with the 4 bulbs in a row and we had gotten traffic signal bulbs clear with a chrome strap around the middle monster glare and crummy light for a bedroom moved to Canada and the house was nothing but PL 26 watt quads all in "cans" had 2 4 foot floro tubes end to end behind the curtain in the living room and a chandelier over the table was very old and looked like a oil lamp with the chimney
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What was (is) your children's room lighting? « Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 05:03:14 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
As far as I remember, I had one 60W pendant in the middle of the ceiling, one angle poise style lamp with a 40W incandescent blub in it on my desk, and a single clip on spot by my bed.  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: What was (is) your children's room lighting? « Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 10:21:26 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
childhood home was a 50s era "MCM" rancher and the ceilings were vaulted and the light was wall mounted at first had a big standard 70s bedroom light with the square glass shade over the 2 bulbs later it got replaced with a bathroom style with the 4 bulbs in a row and we had gotten traffic signal bulbs clear with a chrome strap around the middle monster glare and crummy light for a bedroom moved to Canada and the house was nothing but PL 26 watt quads all in "cans" had 2 4 foot floro tubes end to end behind the curtain in the living room and a chandelier over the table was very old and looked like a oil lamp with the chimney

In your place with 26W PL lamps, were they 4 pin electronically ballasted lamps or 2 pin magnetically ballasted lamps?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What was (is) your children's room lighting? « Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 07:05:51 AM » Author: Rommie
When I was a kid I had a ceiling pendant (don't remember the wattage, probably around 60) and also a 2ft 20W T12 fixture over my bed as a reading light. There was also an 80W BC-capped T12 on the window sill (I had nowhere else to put it..!)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Danny

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What was (is) your children's room lighting? « Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024, 12:35:50 PM » Author: Danny
I have no kids so ill put what i had.  but i had a 4ft 36w fluorescent in my room when i was a kid
CoolBeans

View Posts
View Gallery

Say no to generic EXIT signs

UCgS0pNTqygf9BJruCGNd_yA
Re: What was (is) your children's room lighting? « Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 05:33:03 PM » Author: CoolBeans
A ceiling fan that resembled the nose and prop of a P40 tiger shark airplane. The nose cone had one A15 60w incandescent. I actually had it up until turning 28.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What was (is) your children's room lighting? « Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 06:42:35 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
A pretty standard and common one was in my room in pretty much every house throughout my life. Just the typical fixture that uses 2 incandescent lamps and has a glass square cover secured by one plastic nut in the little.

I have a few of those fixtures in my possession but they aren't installed. One has a 4 lamp socket system so all four corners of the glass light up on it which is more esthetically pleasing.

Administrator #5

Caroline

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What was (is) your children's room lighting? « Reply #10 on: March 13, 2024, 11:16:52 PM » Author: Caroline
It's the same room but up until ~2 years ago the light in this room was a 250 watt CC metal halide, not the kind of light you want for a bedroom but before I was born this wasn't a bedroom but a storage room where my grandparents stored stuff, it had the typical glass cone with the pendant holder that was pretty much used everywhere for those MH bulbs. I have a fond memory of the warm up process and was only turned off when I was away for long periods.
The gear was hidden inside a large junction box that's over the door. That wiring was a mess.

During the pandemic I rewired the house room by room and ended up installing a large ceiling fan in mine, comes with 3 E27 holder so I went the ez route and installed 3 70 watt halogens in there and called it a day, the MH was nice and all but I have no spares so if it died I would have to rewire anyway. Could've reused the E40 with a big incandescent but I only have 4 of those and don't need that much light anyway, I make good use of the sunlight during the day and at night I use the desk lamp if I'm only reading or using the PC.

From unique to standard.
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: What was (is) your children's room lighting? « Reply #11 on: March 16, 2024, 11:09:19 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
A ceiling fan that resembled the nose and prop of a P40 tiger shark airplane. The nose cone had one A15 60w incandescent. I actually had it up until turning 28.

Ah, the Craftmade Tiger Shark. Interesting little fans.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What was (is) your children's room lighting? « Reply #12 on: Today at 02:00:24 AM » Author: ace100w120v
As a child, my bedroom had a 3x60w 'cluster' fixture. At one time, my parents put in yellow bug bulbs (GE green box Era to date me) and later transparent red, blue, and green party bulbs. Had lots of GE or Sylvania party bulbs as a kid.

The first CFL we ever had was in a "banker" type lamp in my bedroom.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies