Author Topic: Colored CFL Rant  (Read 2084 times)
mbulb146

View Posts
View Gallery

Colored CFL Rant « on: May 23, 2014, 09:05:46 PM » Author: mbulb146
OK, my 10 year old daughter and I went to Walmart for some quality time and I bought her a green "TCP" brand CFL for her room.  I've seen green fluorescents before and they usually have pretty deep green color (from the special green phosphors they use).  Well, this one lit up a pale green-white.  It looks like a regular white CFL that has been spray-painted semi-translucent green.  She was really disappointed.  She read the package where it says "best in quality" and really had a laugh with it.  I bought her a blue CFL from Lowe's last year and it has a nice deep blue color. I figure this would be about the same quality, I guess not.  She's not really crying but wanted me to use this face:  :'(
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Colored CFL Rant « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 01:18:04 AM » Author: dor123
Several fluorescent lamps uses colored phosphor, several have an external colored glass and several have both colored phosphor and glass. I think that CFLs that uses a combination of both clolred phosphor and glass, will give you the best result, as with colored phosphor and uncolored glass, parasitic phosphors bands and the mercury lines in the lamp spectrum would cause the lamp color to looks pale (Red would be pink, and green would be whitish green), and colored glass alone isn't enough to give you a saturated color.
I've a genetic bug light CFL, which it is essentially a cool white CFL with a yellow plastic cover, which looks very warm while as a result.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: Colored CFL Rant « Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 03:38:10 AM » Author: merc
I've learned to ignore those "best in quality" labels many year ago. (The same with false n-year "warranties" written on boxes.) >:(

Is your daughter particularly interested in CFLs? If she wants just a special mood, she might like a colour changing LED.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:48:33 AM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged
mbulb146

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Colored CFL Rant « Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 07:07:03 AM » Author: mbulb146
Thanks for the link to the color changing LED bulb.  She might be interested in that.  Yeah, I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the quality.  The blue bulb from Lowe's is painted blue but looks like it also uses blue phosphors.  It was a good learning lesson for her about quality, advertising claims, and, of course, how fluorescent lights work.

Matt
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Colored CFL Rant « Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 07:22:09 AM » Author: sol
If you're after a deeper green colour without breaking the bank, you could try this although it isn't a CFL. Long usage fades the yellow particles and the colour turns more towards the blue-green after a while, but is still plenty green. I am on my second lamp in this fixture and it is just about ready to go EOL so I should get ready to make another filter and find another lamp. I don't reuse the filter when I relamp.

I did originally buy a green CFL, and I found exactly the colour you are describing. Very frustrating...
kai

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Colored CFL Rant « Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 07:35:44 PM » Author: kai
It seems that indeed no real green retrofit CFL's exist, just this unsatisfactory stuff with painted glass.

A glance at the European market shows real green lamps in PL-S and T8 (European T8, which are retrofits for T12), all with regular price tags. It's perhaps worth to go with the linear option if feasible since it's certainly of educational value: This intense green light is produced by white powder as well...
DetroitTwoStroke

View Posts
View Gallery

Luke

Re: Colored CFL Rant « Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 10:14:17 PM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
I have a Feit 13W green CFL that is very green. It appears to use green phosphor and green painted glass.

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Colored CFL Rant « Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 11:33:56 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
I would imagine the choice to use a white phosphor and colored glass is simply a cost-saving measure. Although I would think in the long run it would be more worth it to up the price a bit and use a real phosphor, since colored CFL's are a niche market anyway.

Your daughter seems to have a least a little interest in this stuff, and that's excellent.  ;D

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

randacnam7321

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Colored CFL Rant « Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 06:04:18 AM » Author: randacnam7321
Feit Electric CFLs use both colored phosphors and colored glass and produce fairly good colored light (at least in my experience).  If the light source does not have to be fluorescent, Feit also have a line of colored 3W LED lamps.  I know that Lowes sells them, but different stores have them in different departments so it may take some searching.  The LED lamps are not as bright as the fluorescent lamps for obvious reasons, but as they are not easily broken and given that this is for somewhere where there will be kids messing about, not having delicate exposed glasswork would be advantageous.

Old school FTW!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies