Author Topic: Can you remove 'lamp cement' from cfls ?  (Read 272 times)
LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Can you remove 'lamp cement' from cfls ? « on: April 04, 2024, 11:00:01 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
May have a different wording but what I want to know is if it is possible to remove the cement that holds tubes to the plastic? I really want to harvest these tubes.
There are two different ones I have, a dense smooth white one (ceramic texture) and a rough powdery brownish one.

If not, is there any way to trim the base without damaging the tube.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 06:35:52 AM by LightsAreBright27 » Logged

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
One of the only Indian members here!
245v 50Hz

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you remove 'lamp cement' from cfls ? « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 11:01:15 AM » Author: Laurens
Try soaking it in a closed jar with acetone for a few days.
LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Can you remove 'lamp cement' from cfls ? « Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 11:34:53 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
I have started it.
Also, I have seen some tubes have their endcaps fall off. Is this because of heat? I once saw a brand new tube have this issue, because it was kept in the sun.

245v 50Hz

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can you remove 'lamp cement' from cfls ? « Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 05:48:38 AM » Author: Medved
I have seen at least 3 or 4 different materials (some foam-ish materials are hard, some flexible - dunno if the difference is the main resin material or just its processing/age/filler so whether to count them as one or two kind of materials, some lamps used some form of silicon), so the eventual release method will vary.
Frequent manufacturing problem is apparently glass contamination during assembly, then practically none of the materials will truly stick so very little effort is enough to free it. I doubt the sun exposure itself will be able to release it - the material is normally exposed to heat and UV from the lamp, so I would guess nothing sensitive will be used in the first place.

No more selfballasted c***

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Can you remove 'lamp cement' from cfls ? « Reply #4 on: April 05, 2024, 06:35:21 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
@Medved

The big one has a ceramic like cement. It seems to be very tightly packed and not powdery. The small one has a bumpy and powdery cement, which I could easily chip with a sharp object.

245v 50Hz

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Can you remove 'lamp cement' from cfls ? « Reply #5 on: April 05, 2024, 07:04:46 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Update- I actually didn't have acetone, just dipped them in expired hand sanitizer for a day and foth came of easily!
The brown one crumpled like wet biscuits and the white one came of like clay.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 07:38:50 AM by LightsAreBright27 » Logged

245v 50Hz

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies