Author Topic: 2 foot f40 vs. 2 foot f20 bulbs  (Read 2940 times)
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
2 foot f40 vs. 2 foot f20 bulbs « on: May 16, 2015, 01:47:02 AM » Author: Solanaceae
I have an actinic f40t12 24 inch bulb and I'm wondering what makes it 40 watts. This bulb is identical to the other f20t12s physically, but not internally (excluding phosphors). Is there a difference in gas pressure, Hg amount, gas fill, electrodes, etc that set these two types of 2 foot lamps apart?

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 2 foot f40 vs. 2 foot f20 bulbs « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 01:51:12 AM » Author: Medved
It could be the same gas as the F20, just higher current electrodes.
You may figure it out (but take care of covering, due to the UV...):
Connect it to some F20T12 ballast and measure the arc voltage. If it is about 60..65V, it is indeed just heavier electrodes for 0.75A.

No more selfballasted c***

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 2 foot f40 vs. 2 foot f20 bulbs « Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 01:11:44 PM » Author: Solanaceae

It could be the same gas as the F20, just higher current electrodes.
You may figure it out (but take care of covering, due to the UV...):
Connect it to some F20T12 ballast and measure the arc voltage. If it is about 60..65V, it is indeed just heavier electrodes for 0.75A.

I'll have to go by the harbor freight store since I have a coupon for a free multimeter.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 2 foot f40 vs. 2 foot f20 bulbs « Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 03:49:32 PM » Author: Medved
And one extra note for multimeter measurements: Unless the multimeter is of the "true rms type", it may read the lamp arc voltage quite off, so if you get something in the +/-20% range, it probably is correct. The reason for the error is, the multimeters are calibrated to read values equal to rms value on a pure, ideal sinewave signal.But the voltage across the lamp is more of a rectangular shape. That shape difference means the rectifiers in the meters will convert to a different DC value.
 Internally each AC meter contains some form of rectifier converting the measured voltage (after a range select divider) to DC, as only the DC value could be then converted to the displayed number.

And the rectifier design influences, how is the AC converted to the DC. The "true-rms" meters do really what the name says: First make a square of the input signal (using a multiplier, feeding the signal to both inputs for the multiplication), then filter it (so the "mean" function) and then do the square root conversion (another multiplier in an opamp feedback). All this is usually within one IC, but that IC at first cost more money, but as well needs more power (so drains the battery faster) than a simple opamp with two diodes (doing just the "rectified average") or even just a diode with some resistor (does something between average and peak; present in the simplest multimeters, where the only AC ranges are the 200V one and one higher, usually labeled as something between 400..1000V, all other ranges are just DC).

No more selfballasted c***

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 2 foot f40 vs. 2 foot f20 bulbs « Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 01:52:44 PM » Author: funkybulb
2x 20 watt choke will do fine in perallel

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 2 foot f40 vs. 2 foot f20 bulbs « Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 05:39:01 PM » Author: Ash
A cheap multimeter can indeed tell lies, but it will tell lies with a F20T12 as well, and in the same "direction". So just compare the 40W to a 20W using the same multimeter

Let lamps warm up. The arc voltage goes up as the lamp warms, in the 36W T8 i tested it went from under 90V just after striking to over 110V after proper warm up

And i would not connect the multimeter before the lamp struck, i can imagine a multimeter "blasting off again" from starting pulses on Preheat, especially a cheap one
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 2 foot f40 vs. 2 foot f20 bulbs « Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 11:09:19 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Thanks, Ash. I've tried the bulb in an f20 fixture. It lights, but only if the cathodes warm and then I remove the starter.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 2 foot f40 vs. 2 foot f20 bulbs « Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 12:30:18 AM » Author: Solanaceae
I tried a GE and an osram starter and the osram worked the best and I actually didn't need to remove it, It flashed for about ten seconds and then it stabilized.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: 2 foot f40 vs. 2 foot f20 bulbs « Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 01:45:54 AM » Author: themaritimegirl
Interesting, I didn't know you could get 2-foot F40T12 lamps here.

Based on the specs of a couple of European 2-foot 40W ballasts I've seen on here, the lamp is approximately 52V by 0.9A. So three 14/15/20 chokes in parallel would do the trick.  A 150 watt incandescent bulb would work great too. So would an F24T12/HO ballast. And I think a 35 watt HPS choke would work well, too.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 01:47:48 AM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 2 foot f40 vs. 2 foot f20 bulbs « Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 10:13:48 AM » Author: Solanaceae
It is an aquarium actinic lamp. It is basically a HO version of its 20w counterpart.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies