Author Topic: Difference between T12HO bi-pin and one-pin  (Read 11134 times)
irpyc

View Posts
View Gallery

Difference between T12HO bi-pin and one-pin « on: May 21, 2012, 10:55:03 AM » Author: irpyc
Hi,

I woul'd like to run T12HO tube (like theses ones http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2208&pos=0&pid=61603 ) on ballast, and a found a good one, but for one-pin, so i woul'd like to know if it's possible, if this reduce lifespan or have any other inconvegnant.

Ballast are theses ones http://www.elightbulbs.com/Halco-57114-ESB-0216-12-T12-Fluorescent-Ballast
It's the only one i found for universal voltage (because i'm in 230v, and only US have T12HO) and for tubes from 2'
Only pin it's better also to have less clables between lamp and ballast, so cheaper an lighweiht.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between T12HO bi-pin and one-pin « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:32:58 PM » Author: Ash
The lamp life is determined by 2 main factors :

The Rapid Start ballast for HO heats the lamp's electrodes when starting the lamp. This prevents most of the wear of the electrodes when the lamp is starting, so lamp life will be longer by means of amount of times it can be started before it burns out. The effect of the starting method is less important if the lamp sees less starts through its life as in working continuously for many hours/days etc, then the wear from starting is less significant compared to the wear from normal work

As long as the working current in the lamp is right, the wear from normal work time will be about the same as with the proper ballast

Ask others here which manufacturers of electronic ballasts are high quality, and only buy ballasts from those manufacturers. There are too many electronic ballasts of extremely low reliability which fail within months or few years, while proper quality ballasts work for many years

Magnetic ballasts are generally less prone to sudden failures than electronic. Use magnetic ballast where you prefer a higher reliability ballast and dont mind the ballast heating more and taking somewhat more power

For other options, i think you should be able to get about the correct current for HO lamp by wiring 2 36W 240V inductor ballasts in parallel. Then you can use them in a standard Switch Start circuit

For 110W HO lamp, there is a magnetic Rapid Start ballast for 230V 50Hz which is baing manufactured as far as i know. It is suitable for 1 8ft T12 HO lamp and i think not suitable for shorter lamps
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between T12HO bi-pin and one-pin « Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 01:57:44 PM » Author: funkybulb
those instant start ballast use high voltage to strike the lamp,wich is hard on the cathode.
it the same conscept as our F32 lamp being fired up on electronic ballast. but magnetic instant start can last for many years those are comnonly found on single pin slimeline fixture.

but those HO tubes are generally needed to be heated up before start. the seem to work fine on 2x20
low current swich start chokes.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Powell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between T12HO bi-pin and one-pin « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 02:30:01 PM » Author: Powell
We have 2 fixtures now with F96T12 lamps.... one with F96T8 (solid state ballast) at the radio station.  As for the T12 lamps they last way longer than rated as the lamps are turned on once a day. I will see how well the T8 one lasts......

NNNN!

IOT_1928
Re: Difference between T12HO bi-pin and one-pin « Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 05:23:17 PM » Author: IOT_1928
I would prefer to use magnetic ballasts as they can last longer, and also less interference to radios. When a electronic ballasted linear fluoroescent/cfl is on, much of the AM broadcast band fades into noise, and also the shortwave bands from 75-20 metres are also gone. I can't do any DX'ing when a CFL is on :(
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between T12HO bi-pin and one-pin « Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 10:47:54 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
CQ CQ CQ... why isn't anyone answering!? 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between T12HO bi-pin and one-pin « Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 02:09:47 AM » Author: funkybulb
electronic ballast do create lot inference, esp with my hearing aid and audio magnetic loop around the room
thowing in the the electronic ballasted CFl just drive ya up the wall.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

irpyc

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between T12HO bi-pin and one-pin « Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 06:19:38 AM » Author: irpyc
Ok so if i clearly understand, mono-pin ballast can work with bipin tube, just the instant start will use much more tube at each start.

But somebody do know this brand "halco" ?

I do prefer rapid start, but theses ballast are only one i found with my needs :
- T12HO
- Work on 230v 50hz
- From 2'
- Possibility of light only one tube, and the choice of witch one
- I also need to put length beetwin ballast an tube (around 10m max), they just talk about "standard lengths", so i don't if it's good.

Instant start need always less cables for each tubes, so it's better for cheaper an lighter cable and connector, but maybe it's a fasle economy because it will use faster expensives tubes.

If your know better brand ballast with theses specificity, it will be apreciate.

Yes i coul'd use selfique ballast, but they are eavy (for 4x 75w T12HO, that make at lot of ballast), they are a bit noisy (especialy at start, but that not the point) and they can make flick on camera because of 50Hz.
Electronic ballast are not protected against interferance ? That is an important point, i will need to tests with sound equipment.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between T12HO bi-pin and one-pin « Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 08:59:14 AM » Author: Ash
You can go with Switch Start - using 2 FL ballasts in parallel or 80/125W mercury ballasts match some HO lamps quite well
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between T12HO bi-pin and one-pin « Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 09:44:02 AM » Author: funkybulb
you just better off using rapid start ballast wich last the longest for HO. and it design around the HO tube
 our magnetic ballast is no longer made in USA. but you can get them cheap on ebay especialy a 277 volt ballast.
 and I heard 240 volt work ok from other member on this site. genrally the ballast will base on 10 percent design of line voltage.  I found a two lamp F96HO ballast 277 volt and the seller willing to ship internationl
 that is cheap to buy. good for 6 foot to 8 foot Ho tube. but shipping part will be a killer. but beat the paying retail over 100 bucks for these at supply houses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VALMONT-ELECTRIC-8G1151W-RAPID-START-BONUS-LINE-BALLAST-91-AMP-91A-277V-60HZ-/230766418331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bac0199b

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between T12HO bi-pin and one-pin « Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 10:44:56 AM » Author: Ash
Our local manufacturer Eltam makes 240V Rapid Start for 1 lamp 110W F96. I think they are not suitable for shorter lamps. The ballasts are of excellent quality

Besides them i found also Switch Start and Instant Start magnetic ballasts for F96 (both from another manufacturer) but they are not common and i dont know how they are in regards to lamp life
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Difference between T12HO bi-pin and one-pin « Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 01:20:00 PM » Author: funkybulb
 here in USA instant start ballast for F96 is single pin slimeline tube and 75 watts

for shorter lamp it might be just as easier to fire up those lamp on two switch start ballast for 20 watt tubes
or instant start multivolt for 4xF32 3 of it the output leads to run your 2 and 3 foot HO lamp. as those F32 instant start can drive regular T12 using two out put leads. but how ever these ballast will drive lamp to vacume loss. No EOL protection.

for larger lamp might as well get magnetic ballast for those.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies