Author Topic: What are your lighting pet peeve?  (Read 17533 times)
gailgrove

View Posts
View Gallery

MVs at Dusk

Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 01:52:11 PM » Author: gailgrove
1 Streetlights that have such bad poles they are ready to fall over
2 MH highbays that run 24/7/365 and have no sheileds
3 the price of HID lamps for the average consumer
4 Streetlights being distroyed
5 light bulb banns that make no sense (and none do)
6 HPS lamps that cycle for ever.
7 ALTOs
8 Cooper cobra heads that are really bad quality
9 any MH lamp that is run non-stop
10 when buildings a demoed with HID lights still on/in them
11 dayburning MH&MV and 1KW HPS street lights (under 1KW HPS's don't seem to bother me)
12 when I can't get old lights do to liability issues
And thats most of it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 03:18:05 PM by gailgrove » Logged

Say no to Induction & LED, HID forever!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 02:01:43 PM » Author: Medved
...(stupid smiley I did not put it there)

You did, the "8_)" without the "_" is a reserved string for 8) ...
I know, it is annoying, when making lists.
Btw: I had to correct this reply too, as it make smiley even when in quotes...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 02:04:22 PM by Medved » Logged

No more selfballasted c***

chapman84
Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 05:27:41 PM » Author: chapman84
Seeing older streetlights being discarded in favor of new junk.
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 07:58:40 PM » Author: lightman64
@chapman84- I feel the same way!! The city of Atlanta started replacing their VAST quantities of Form 109's with King Luminaries, AE 115's, and GEM400's in the early 1980's.

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 03:59:17 AM » Author: tmcdllr
1. Common around here, blocks of streetlights controlled by one contactor. It fails and half or the entire street is dark. You complain to the city about it and they only partly fix it.

2. Improperly aimed floods, such as pointing straight down instead of out.

3. Two streetlights or poles very close to each other. Is this really necessary?

4. MANY missing lenses on LPS streetlights or the only thing left on the pole is the ballast compartment, that is common here too.

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 04:57:25 PM » Author: Xytrell
What bothers me is when businesses elect for "power saving" HPS as security lighting, but then leave them on all day long.
tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 10:02:46 PM » Author: tmcdllr
I recently complained to the city about some light being out on a main street, this street has two blocks of lights on it, every other light is on a different block. So for example, if one of the two blocks does not light, only every other light will be out instead of 5 or 6 in a row. This particular street has this happening, every other light is out. The response I got today said this....

"Unfortunately, as a result of seven successive years of funding deficits and budget cuts, the City is no longer able to afford keeping all of our streetlights operating. Therefore, we are shutting off about 900 lights for indefinite period of time to reduce our overall electricity usage, and lights listed below  happens to be seventeen (17) of the lights affected.

Facts to support:

1        City has approximately 60,000 streetlights

2        It costs about $3.5 million per year for electricity to run them.

3        Shutting of these lights will save us about $75,000 per year......"

I don't like this idea of turning off streetlights, lights used for safety, to save money. If these city employees, etc. who are responsible for managing the finances of the city would have done their jobs right then this would not have to be done and no, you can't use the economy as an excuse anymore. Well I guess the up side to this is that there will be less LPS fixtures creating an awful, ugly orange cloud at night.

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

chapman84
Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 10:55:34 PM » Author: chapman84
I can't stand how the government has brain washed many people into getting rid of their mercury lights and replacing them with "energy efficient high pressure sodium" ones. It just makes me sick. >:(
Dimiz

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #38 on: January 26, 2010, 01:25:31 AM » Author: Dimiz
I think they are just trying to stop using mercury in all the lamps; Sodium bulbs here can be bought "Mercury Free". I don't get it though that throughout all the smaller streets, 80W mercs are still being installed and larger HPS on main roads.. LED's haven't appeared.....yet

Could never explain why I risk so much to collect them!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #39 on: January 26, 2010, 02:48:19 AM » Author: Medved
I think they are just trying to stop using mercury in all the lamps; Sodium bulbs here can be bought "Mercury Free". I don't get it though that throughout all the smaller streets, 80W mercs are still being installed and larger HPS on main roads.. LED's haven't appeared.....yet

Problem is mercury and other polutants in the environment, not in lamps. And bucket truck trips for spot relamping (when lamps reliability require it) work cause much more severe pollution then few accidentally smashed lamps - on MV (due to their reliability and life predictability) you might very accuratelly plan the group relamping, so the truck travel only once per about four years for whole street and you still do not have issues with not working lamps.

No more selfballasted c***

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #40 on: February 04, 2010, 11:14:55 PM » Author: DieselNut
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but the "low mercury" fluorescent lamps (Alto, Ecolux, etc) do not last as long as regular lamps, at least not the F40 and F96 ones.

I hate seeing someone leaving bad fluorescent lamps in a fixture instead of replacing them, especially preheat, to where the lamp flashes repeatedly, then finally sits there and just glows after the starter seizes (what a ballast killer!)

I hate Metal Halide light, at least the "yellow" colored ones

Magnetic ballast bans...Keep the damn government OUT of my light fixtures!  I love my preheat fixtures and they make much lass radio noise than the new electronic crap!  Ballasts last longer too!!

Cheap light fixtures that "snap together" instead of screw together.  I miss the old porcelain shields like the lights I have!

People trashing old fixtures.  I had wanted the rest of the old lights out of the local cotton mill where i got most of my old Miller units and had kept watch and was promised them when they replaced them.  Mill shut down and sat vacant for several years.  A renovation crew came in and stripped the place, DESTROYING antique fixtures from the 50s and 60s!  There were hundreds of them and nearly every one of them still worked, many with original ballasts!  THAT made me sick!!!

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #41 on: November 27, 2011, 11:26:42 PM » Author: ace100w120v
burned out light bulbs or broken lights of any kind not being fixed/replaced.
FrontSideBus

View Posts
View Gallery

FrontSideBus
Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #42 on: December 01, 2011, 10:02:36 AM » Author: FrontSideBus
At work we have hundreds of 4 lamp 2 foot T5 recessed units lighting the main shop floor.
Each time a lamp fails, because they are all wired to the same ballast it takes the entire fixture down. Eventually this happens to quite a few fixtures and people start complaining about the level of illumination. The "building technician" goes round in a scissor lift and changes the lamps... all of them! I've mentioned to the management several times that only one lamp needs to be changed and there is an obscene amount of perfectly serviceable lamps being wasted! What do I know though? Now they are saying that it's getting expensive to keep all of the lights going and now a few units being inoperative is acceptable.

So I try and explain again and even offer to build a lamp tester so they can sort out the good lamps but again I'm ignored. Now they are talking about looking into LED refits..... ARRGHHH!

I give up, let them waste their money.

Bulbs are for planting: Lamps are for lighting!
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/index.php?cat=11271

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #43 on: December 01, 2011, 11:14:33 AM » Author: Ash
The guy replacing the lamps and the management are not the same guy. The lamp worker uses up X lamps, management decides that X lamps are too expensive and buys none

I have a load of 18W T8 lamps where exactly 1/2 of them are ok, from identical relamping tactics applied to 4x18W magnetic fixtures

And they cant buy T5 lamps but can but LED fixtures WOW
FrontSideBus

View Posts
View Gallery

FrontSideBus
Re: What are your lighting pet peeve? « Reply #44 on: December 01, 2011, 01:39:59 PM » Author: FrontSideBus
Probably with the idea that LED's will last for ages and almost never need changing.
I've seen rather a lot of failed LED units so far...

Bulbs are for planting: Lamps are for lighting!
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/index.php?cat=11271

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies