Author Topic: Three bulb Sylvania 40 watt fixture  (Read 2108 times)
Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Three bulb Sylvania 40 watt fixture « on: April 25, 2014, 04:14:42 PM » Author: Larry
I think it is a little high priced for a 40 watt fixture that looks like it need some help. :o
Wish it was a T17. ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ANTIQUE-SYLVANIA-ELECTRIC-PRODUCTS-MIRALUME-48-FLOURESCENT-LIGHT-1940-/161143905171?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2584ecdb93

Here ya go and only $7300 :o
Bulbs not included.
But you do get free shipping.
Sorry I have to pass on this one. ;D

After looking at this. it is implied that it a 1930s fixture, but it don't look like it to me.
I would say it is something from the 1970s made up as a retro look fixture.
If the ballasts go inside those brass plated bulb holders, how is a brick ballast going to fit in there as the ends are about the same diameter as the bulb?
Also if this was real 1930 brass and 1930s ballasts, the weight would be huge.
They don't really say that it is from the 1930s, but seem to imply that it is.
My bet is someone is going to get ripped on this. ::)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1of-2-Giant-Art-Deco-20-s-30-s-German-Chandelier-modernist-streamline-ballroom-/251372150032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a86f29d10
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:23:33 AM by Larry » Logged

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's GE Power Groove

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Three bulb Sylvania 40 watt fixture « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 01:53:29 PM » Author: DieselNut
Wow. I have some just like that!

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Three bulb Sylvania 40 watt fixture « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 07:57:14 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I wish someone could tell me what to search when I want to look for vintage striplights, shoplights, lamps, and ballasts. Whenever I Iook for for items like these, I am bombarded by thousands of desk lamps. I don't want desk lamps.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Three bulb Sylvania 40 watt fixture « Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 12:49:39 AM » Author: themaritimegirl
What do you usually search? When looking for strip lights try just the brand name. "american fluorescent", "simkar", "duray", etc, since that's what those manufacturers make most of. For shop lights try "fluorescent shop light" - I see a good many and even some strip lights when I search that. For lamps, you'll probably have to look through a bunch of modern ones to find some vintage ones, since most sellers probably won't know the different between an old lamp and a new one. If I search "ge f4t5", I get some modern ones, but I get a handful of vintage ones as well. For ballasts, you could try the model of the ballast. I found my Advance LQ-106F-TP by searching "lq106ftp".

Or, sometimes, you might have to go through a bunch of desk lamps to find what you're looking for.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:52:03 AM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: Three bulb Sylvania 40 watt fixture « Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 01:01:20 AM » Author: Larry
I wish someone could tell me what to search when I want to look for vintage striplights, shoplights, lamps, and ballasts. Whenever I Iook for for items like these, I am bombarded by thousands of desk lamps. I don't want desk lamps.

Seems that most people think a desk light is the only kind of old fluorescent light fixture there is.

Yeah that is a problem. I have found that many times people are not sure where or how to list a fluorescent fixture.
I happened to find a 1940 Mitchell fluorescent shop light fixture on ebay in near perfect physical condition by accident just by looking around.
It is a beauty with the original paint.

It was not listed as fluorescent lighting but as a "florescent light".
So now I include "florescent" in my searches.
Sometimes they are listed as barn lighting, industrial, vintage, collector, antique shop lights but not always.
Sometimes there is no mention of fluorescent at all. ???

I was told by one old lighting dealer that they junk fluorescent fixtures as there is no market for them. :o
They just sell pendent lighting only.
I told them that there are pendent fluorescent lights too.
No response. ::)

Seems that a chain hung fluorescent light fixture could be considered a pendent fixture.
But I guess not.

Seems you just have to look around and try searching everything.

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Three bulb Sylvania 40 watt fixture « Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 01:18:24 AM » Author: themaritimegirl
Yes, I always try all three misspellings of fluorescent (flurescent, florescent, and flourescent) when searching for stuff.

I once came across an Eveready Commander fluorescent lantern, listed as "portable tube light flashlight" ...!

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: Three bulb Sylvania 40 watt fixture « Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 01:30:22 AM » Author: Larry
Yes, I always try all three misspellings of fluorescent (flurescent, florescent, and flourescent) when searching for stuff.

I once came across an Eveready Commander fluorescent lantern, listed as "portable tube light flashlight" ...!

Good idea.
Like you say sometimes there is no mention of fluorescent at all. ???
Also there are several other sites like ESTY that are similar to ebay and Craigs list.
There are some gems out there at reasonable prices.
Some at crazy prices. :o

I spend several hours a day looking.
Of course being retired I have the time to look around. ::)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies