Author Topic: Advice on finding the cause of unknown (electrical?) buzzing sound?  (Read 869 times)
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Advice on finding the cause of unknown (electrical?) buzzing sound? « on: December 07, 2020, 01:13:25 PM » Author: HPS_250
I am not sure if this sound is electrical, or if it is caused by something else such as vibration. Today is very windy, so it could possibly be caused by some kind of vibration. Coming from the wall between my laundry room and living room, there is a slight buzzing sound. The only electrical items nearby are an outlet and a switch box. There are some electronics on the table/cabinet next to the wall, including a TV (turned off), subwoofer, and WiFi router. I will check later if the sound goes away upon unplugging anything. Does anyone have advice on finding the cause of this sound?

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Advice on finding the cause of unknown (electrical?) buzzing sound? « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 01:42:06 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
You're going about it in the correct way.  :bulbman:
Unplug everything and plug them back in one by one until the humming starts up again.
If it's still there after unplugging everything a more in-depth investigation will be needed.  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Advice on finding the cause of unknown (electrical?) buzzing sound? « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 02:25:22 PM » Author: HPS_250
You're going about it in the correct way.  :bulbman:
Unplug everything and plug them back in one by one until the humming starts up again.
If it's still there after unplugging everything a more in-depth investigation will be needed.  :wndr:

Thanks, I will try unplugging everything and testing for the sound later when I have time. I’ll report back if I find out the cause of it.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Advice on finding the cause of unknown (electrical?) buzzing sound? « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 02:27:54 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
No problem, I like to help when I can, in between introducing some levity onto the site.  :'-)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Advice on finding the cause of unknown (electrical?) buzzing sound? « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 02:46:12 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Does this buzzing produce a mains hum such as a 60hz hum in your case?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Advice on finding the cause of unknown (electrical?) buzzing sound? « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 03:05:31 PM » Author: HPS_250
Does this buzzing produce a mains hum such as a 60hz hum in your case?

It sounds like a mains hum or 60Hz hum as far as I can tell, because it is not loud or high-pitched. There was another high-pitched hum in the same area, which turned out to be the TV power supply.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Advice on finding the cause of unknown (electrical?) buzzing sound? « Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 05:02:11 PM » Author: Medved
I have a switch (used in kitchen to disconnect power to the stove), which tends to make noise even when the stove is off. It is no sparking, just probably something like piezoelectricity in the bakelite (base material for holding tge contacts).

So if unplugging things wont lead to anything conclusive, you may try to shut down the breakers of all the circuits around, one by one.

No more selfballasted c***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Advice on finding the cause of unknown (electrical?) buzzing sound? « Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 05:04:46 PM » Author: Binarix128
On my bathroom, there's a hose vibrating at 100Hz. No mains involved, just the given conditions like the length, the width and the quantity of water passing. At the beginning I thought it was actually the mains, but then I casually twisted the hose and the frequency changed. In your case it can be anything but not the mains, cut off the power if you can, if it the sound keeps check the hoses and the piping.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Advice on finding the cause of unknown (electrical?) buzzing sound? « Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 05:28:28 PM » Author: Ash
Water hammer perhaps might end up close to the line frequency for a reason : The water is pumped by an asynchronous motor at the pump station, and under certain conditions could be conducting the vibration from there over the water supply, perhaps for quite some distance, especially if you have something on your end that would rattle in sync.... The actual sound frequency in this case will be ~0.95 of the electrical supply frequency

In your case, switch off breakers and see if it goes

Also try to record it, record some genuine line frequency hum, open the recordings on the computer in Audacity and compare the exact frequency. If it is not the same or an exact multiple, then it is not electrical. (An exception, once again, to asynchronous motors running at a slip)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies