Author Topic: When will you be done collecting?  (Read 1797 times)
tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

When will you be done collecting? « on: May 26, 2011, 02:25:32 AM » Author: tmcdllr
I'm pretty happy with what I've got so far. I really just wanted some small floods in the various light sources and a few ballasts and lamps to make my own, plus some odd fixtures I came across. There really isn't much else that I want. There are a couple of things I see on ebay and a few other sites I will try to get but that's pretty much it. I have enough fixtures, lamps, ballasts to last me and completely light the entire outside of my house, which is what I want to do, so I think I'm done. I might pick up something here and there if it looks interesring but that's it. I also can't really afford to keep spending money on this stuff and I'm running out of room. Its not so bad though mainly because the stuff I have is small, which was done on purpose.

But what about you all? There are some really impressive collections on here and its a lot of fun to look at them but when is it enough or is it ever enough?

I'm curious to see what you guys say.

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: When will you be done collecting? « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:37:02 AM » Author: nogden
I'm definitely much more picky about what I pick up or buy than I used to be. I don't think I will ever be done collecting, but I am being more selective about what I collect. I no longer collect lighting-related items that I would never use, unless I am rescuing something from a dumpster or saving for someone else. I am more interested in practical, useful lighting rather than collecting unusual or antique lights.
tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: When will you be done collecting? « Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:24:50 AM » Author: tmcdllr
Yeah I think that describes where I'm at. If I do get more its going to be stuff mainly that is useful. I think I'm never really going to stop I'm just going to be more picky.

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: When will you be done collecting? « Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 10:56:33 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I hear ya about lighting outside the house, I have used and changed that many lights!! ::), never deciding what to keep, I have at the minute, 3 18watt sox, (and didn`t buy a couple for spares, I bought a box full)!!
Now I`m tidying my garden up, re-growing the lawn, and changing one of my 18watt sox for a 250watt SON of all things ::)
As for my collection, I may get a couple more 200watt SLIs, but I`m happy with what I have ;)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Brisluminous
Re: When will you be done collecting? « Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 07:04:20 AM » Author: Brisluminous
I'll never be done collecting!

But lighting is the only thing that I've collected consistantly (I collect table fans, clocks and audio gear as well!)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies