Author Topic: False claims about UV radiation from CFL from 30cm for one hour, outside Israel  (Read 1732 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

False claims about UV radiation from CFL from 30cm for one hour, outside Israel « on: March 30, 2013, 03:28:00 AM » Author: dor123
I've found that despite the false claiming about UV radiation from fluorescent lamps and CFLs from 30cm for one hour, looks like a pure invention of the Israeli Ministry of Health, I found an evidence of this false claims also outside of Israel:
1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescent_lamps_and_health
2. http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1223534061375
3. http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/equipment/lighting/2713

I know that CFLs have higher brilliancy than most other types of fluorescent lamps. Probaby because of this, UV emissions from CFLs, are much more intense than regular fluorescent lamps. Also, as most of the CFL marketed worldwide, are either generic, or comes from generic companies (Small companies, that claimed to be lamp manufacturers, that in fact don't own any factory or laboratory, and all of their productions are made for them by generic factories in China. Megamen is an example of a generic lamp company), there is no guarantee, that the factories that makes the lamps modify their glass, to be more transparent to UV radiation form the mercury discharge, which lead to this claim.
I have some evidences of generic 70-150W RX7s MH lamps, that make use of pure fused (Undoped) quartz outer that is transparent to UVC radiation, and can be very dangerous to use in open fixtures or fixtures with glass that is transparent to UV radiation.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: False claims about UV radiation from CFL from 30cm for one hour, outside Israel « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 03:59:03 AM » Author: Ash
The 3rd link are serious - They actually give measurement data, lamp power and exposure time. Unlike the israeli ministry that say just "30cm = BAD", not known what lamp and not known how much time.

However, did they compare the amount of UV in room with window allowing daylight in ? No, and from my experience (how fast plastic stuff discolors and decays over years in room) looks like a room with window (even one that never faces the sun, ie north window in the northern hemisphere) lets in way moreUV than quite heavy T8/T12 fluorescent lighting. For example (in the old days when computer front panels and CRT monitors were light grey plastic) computers near windows would have visible yellowing within couple months, yet in underground rooms over-illuminated with lots of T8s the computers still look new many years later

So if a window is not a concern, why would a lamp be ?

Besides, their testing shows that the 60w incandescent is not far behind. Yet, was anyone ever burned from the UV of a 60w incandescent ? If the risk of UV would be really comparable, then UV damage from incandescents would not be _unheard of_, but it is

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: False claims about UV radiation from CFL from 30cm for one hour, outside Israel « Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 06:10:04 AM » Author: dor123
Besides, their testing shows that the 60w incandescent is not far behind. Yet, was anyone ever burned from the UV of a 60w incandescent ? If the risk of UV would be really comparable, then UV damage from incandescents would not be _unheard of_, but it is
And indeed, blacklight incandescent lamps, don't produces UV radiation at all: http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/32/voltblb.htm .

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies