Author Topic: Remaking sounds of fluorescent lights  (Read 52 times)
Mr Lamp

View Posts
View Gallery

UC4cgSO7ARvVgpX4tpKegf5w
Remaking sounds of fluorescent lights « on: Today at 01:16:31 PM » Author: Mr Lamp
Hi

Can someone help me remake sounds of fluorescent starter chimes and 50hZ ballast hum? I have no idea on how to create similar sounds. I am just considering to make an animation with fluorescent lights turning on (and perhaps an EOL lamp). Any help would be appreciated. And of course I can use ready sound effects as well  :bulbman:

Also, any help with the animation itself is appreciated. I will probably be using Blender as it's free. But no hurries, as my current laptop can't run Blender that well (I'm saving for a more powerful computer).
LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Remaking sounds of fluorescent lights « Reply #1 on: Today at 01:22:06 PM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Get an eol tube and a noisy starter. Record the sounds along with the ballast hum. If you are wanting to make multiple (like a room full) record multiple startups of the lamp (maybe different starter) and change loudness (amplitude) and overlay them. That should get you a decent sound.

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
245v 50Hz

Mr Lamp

View Posts
View Gallery

UC4cgSO7ARvVgpX4tpKegf5w
Re: Remaking sounds of fluorescent lights « Reply #2 on: Today at 01:26:10 PM » Author: Mr Lamp
Yeah, that could work. But there is one thing... I don't have such a good microphone. I have a microphone on my phone and it always picks up some background sounds. But of course there are many tools to remove background sounds...
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Remaking sounds of fluorescent lights « Reply #3 on: Today at 02:20:09 PM » Author: Laurens
They're fairly quiet sounds, recording them is indeed not too easy unless you already have a proper portable recorder like the ones from Zoom or Roland.

If you don't need them urgently, i can make a few tries. I tried with a contact microphone and i instantly run into two problems: RF clicks from the starter, and inductively coupled hum from the ballast. So the only option would be to use a well shielded condenser/electret microphone, because a dynamic will gladly pick up the magnetic field from the ballast. I do have one, but i need to set up everything outside of the room with my computer. But that's exactly where all my lighting stuff is.

I don't have any EOL tubes. I can make them plink a few times if i lower the input voltage to 190v or so, but they start annoyingly easy.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:22:48 PM by Laurens » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies