Author Topic: An Interesting Read: "Slumper Lamps"  (Read 2107 times)
Bamaslamma1003

View Posts
View Gallery

An Interesting Read: "Slumper Lamps" « on: September 06, 2009, 12:12:58 PM » Author: Bamaslamma1003
This website has an interesting article on the plague of mercury starvation problems that have resulted from "low mercury" fluorescent tubes (cough Philips Alto T8's cough). Notice how vintage lamps with full mercury doses actually last their rated life and then some! Anyway here is the link. http://www.stitzell.com/customer/stelde/customerpages/slumpers.htm

Power provided by Alabama Power, 120 volts 60 Hz. House is an LED free zone, tungsten and linear fluorescent only.

Alights

View Posts
View Gallery

USA (120V 60HZ)

Re: An Interesting Read: "Slumper Lamps" « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 01:18:27 PM » Author: Alights
This is very true, especially when the new Alto 2 lamps get used because they have 30% less mercury. They do not mention how the instant start ballasts can get killed because of the open circuit voltage (ocv) goes up in a failed lamp as the argon (pink) glow needs a lot of voltage to keep the arc struck. The ballast is overworked and failes after a couple of months. Also 24/7 applications also see mercurey starvation problems with GE and Phillips.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: An Interesting Read: "Slumper Lamps" « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 03:55:55 PM » Author: Medved
If the ballast die due to "slumper" lamp, it is crappy quality ballast, because EOL protection (the most essential feature for long ballast life) is missing...

No more selfballasted c***

Bamaslamma1003

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: An Interesting Read: "Slumper Lamps" « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 11:00:49 PM » Author: Bamaslamma1003
My F32T8 ballast is a rapid start magnetic ballast as opposed to the more common instant start electronic lamp killer variety. I wonder if that makes a difference in whether lamps go mercury starved or not.

Power provided by Alabama Power, 120 volts 60 Hz. House is an LED free zone, tungsten and linear fluorescent only.

Alights

View Posts
View Gallery

USA (120V 60HZ)

Re: An Interesting Read: "Slumper Lamps" « Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 12:34:14 AM » Author: Alights
it should prolng the lamps life and it should take longer to go mercury starved. i use my lights too frequently to have this slumper issue.  the t8 lampkillers got one of my bulbs yesterday.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies