Author Topic: Is it actually allowed to have street lights on your property?  (Read 4105 times)
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Is it actually allowed to have street lights on your property? « on: July 13, 2023, 01:53:11 PM » Author: Burrito
This might be the dumbest question I've asked on this site yet.
I have had thoughts about buying land to construct my own house on and depending on the area i choose, it might have a long access road. Would it be legally allowed to have old street lighting standards/fixtures given away from the city on my property?
Extra information: Old highway street lights on the access road once every mile (to save energy) 400 watt HPS and turtle friendly (orange) LED street lights mixed in. Would this be possible after contacting city officials about my future request?

OR

I could purchase a new pole off the internet and put a few on my property. Would this also be legally allowed?
The area I'm choosing is pretty desolate so would this make a difference to the legality of putting poles on my property?

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it actually allowed to have street lights on your property? « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2023, 02:16:38 PM » Author: sol
As long as they are securely mounted and wired to code, there should be no problem. Plenty of members here are doing so, including me.

Oh, and as long as you pay the electricity bill, too !
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Is it actually allowed to have street lights on your property? « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 02:21:21 PM » Author: Burrito
Alrighty thank you so much for this information! I really appreciate it.
I think there are some people that may say otherwise but hey, it is your property so you could do whatever you want as long as it's legal and up to code and stuff (I don't know about legal things so this might not make sense).

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Is it actually allowed to have street lights on your property? « Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 02:26:00 PM » Author: Rommie
It will probably depend on whether your local authority has any planning regulations that would prohibit it. Check with them.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Is it actually allowed to have street lights on your property? « Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 02:26:52 PM » Author: Burrito
That's true also.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it actually allowed to have street lights on your property? « Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 02:30:36 PM » Author: sol
Yes, zoning regulations might prohibit this. Do other people nearby have HID of some kind on some kind of poles ? That could give you an idea of what could be permitted.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Is it actually allowed to have street lights on your property? « Reply #6 on: July 13, 2023, 02:32:15 PM » Author: Burrito
There are LM Ovalites on the street still mercury vapor. I haven't personally visited the city yet. The city is very small.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is it actually allowed to have street lights on your property? « Reply #7 on: July 13, 2023, 03:02:23 PM » Author: joseph_125
The minimum would be to install the pole, wiring, and luminaire to code. However if you live in a more urbanized area or a area with stricter outdoor lighting ordinances, there might be rules in place governing the proximity to other properties, light source, luminaire type, and max lumen/wattage you can install on a residential property.

Now if you live in a location that allows for your own access road, it's probably rural enough that most local ordinances won't apply unless if it's a statewide rule. For example Arizona actually has state legislation prohibiting the installation of mercury vapour outdoor luminaires. See here. Now I have a feeling the bulb police won't come knocking if you put up a MV luminaire but you'll probably have to install a HPS or a LED luminaire initially to pass inspection and the swap it out a month later. :-X

I live in a suburban area with the houses pretty closely packed so the best I've gotten away is a small gumball in the back and some misc low wattage MV and HPS wallpacks. Nothing over 35w HPS or 100w MV. American suburbs seem to have the houses spaced farther apart so you might be able to up those wattages to 100w HPS or 175w MV.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 03:05:04 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Is it actually allowed to have street lights on your property? « Reply #8 on: July 13, 2023, 03:19:42 PM » Author: Burrito
This is great information! I think modern NEC codes require only LED as of this year or something. I would have to put up an LED and then swap it out for HPS a month later and also attach a glare shield to the (HPS) luminaire for light trespass.

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Is it actually allowed to have street lights on your property? « Reply #9 on: July 13, 2023, 06:39:47 PM » Author: Burrito
One more thing to mention: The cities population is 329 (2021). Would this somehow also affect the ordinances or what?

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is it actually allowed to have street lights on your property? « Reply #10 on: July 13, 2023, 06:56:27 PM » Author: joseph_125
I'd say that makes it unlikely to have any local ordinances regarding outdoor lighting unless there's something like a observatory nearby.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Is it actually allowed to have street lights on your property? « Reply #11 on: July 13, 2023, 06:57:34 PM » Author: Burrito
Wow, nothing at all nearby so maybe there is a chance i could obtain some street light poles and fixtures from the city?

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Is it actually allowed to have street lights on your property? « Reply #12 on: July 14, 2023, 11:05:19 AM » Author: Burrito
Okay so if this ends up happening, what luminaires would you guys recommend? I've personally thought about getting a couple of 400 watt HPS or mercury M400A's & Cree LEDways with the turtle friendly option. Do you guys have any fixtures that would be better on the supposed property?

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Is it actually allowed to have street lights on your property? « Reply #13 on: July 14, 2023, 11:22:50 AM » Author: Econolite03
(…) is a chance i could obtain some street light poles and fixtures from the city?
It depends. The only way I’ve been able to obtain fixtures from a municipality is because I know someone who works for one. Other than that it’s difficult. Sometimes contractors pass stuff down, but due to liability they have been more strict in recent years. Poles on the other hand I have no idea, perhaps someone could chime in.

In regards to picking a fixture, it’s really personal preference. In my book I’d recommend finding something that is practical for your application and is easy to obtain, like a M-250R2 or Roadfocus.

Now on Linktree

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Is it actually allowed to have street lights on your property? « Reply #14 on: July 14, 2023, 11:24:06 AM » Author: Burrito
That's true. I'll see about them in the near future or could purchase a pole new off the internet

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies