Author Topic: Collecting bulbs?  (Read 2551 times)
bluelights

View Posts
View Gallery

Collecting bulbs? « on: May 20, 2009, 02:00:28 PM » Author: bluelights
Do you guys collect bulbs just for the purpose of having them / putting them on the shelves and showing what you got, or also because you are interested in the physics behind it - the light they emit and its spectrum, their efficacy and lifetime, various start-up characteristics/colors, construction etc (so you also fire them up and have the gear to run them)?

"The orange cloud looks like floating nuclear waste."
Save the mercury lamp

lite_lover

View Posts
View Gallery

Darren

GoL darren.harward
Re: Collecting bulbs? « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 03:10:15 PM » Author: lite_lover
I collect the discharge lamps as I love the shape of them especially the BT style and the start-up characteristics,also the internal construction of the lamps.I'm able to run all my HID lamps except the 1000W MH.Collecting incandescent lamps is a more recent interest,as less lamps were being manufactured here in Canada I've been looking for lamps made here before they totally disappear.

The brighter the better.

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Collecting bulbs? « Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 02:42:50 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I think that collecting lamps is just like collecting something else like Scale models or old military stuff. I myself, even thought I may not be so enthusiastic collector, like old fluorescent fixtures. there just is something magic about them.  I like the design of those. I like to use my fixtures. These are not just showing items in vitrin. I like actually instal them and use. old lamps may be a littlebit different if you use them too much they will eventually burn out but still its sometimes nice to screw them in and use them few days. Ofcourse every lamp has its own history, maybe where you got it or where it has been used or how/why it was designed that way. Its hard to explain especially since english is not my native language

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Collecting bulbs? « Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 03:39:55 PM » Author: SeanB~1
Some collect just because they like lamps, some are interested in various aspects.

Myself I generally collect lamps that are of interest to me personally, and will give those that I have plenty of to others easily, either to use or to collect. I do use a lot of my collection at various times, not all is for static storage ( although a lot is in boxes currently) but is in regular use  y me.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Collecting bulbs? « Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 07:38:20 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
I must say this is one of the BEST questions ever asked!

I collect them, just like one collects shells, rocks and stuff...

I also collect them because they really intrigue me big time and they were always fun for me to look at them.

I also like defective or used lamps mostly gas discharge because there are many possibilities of defectiveness to watch and experiment with.

They also look so GOOD on display shelves!!!!

Since I started joining this page and collecting lights ive learned a LOT more!

I also have been always interested in streetlighting, although I used to be mainly interested in general the POLE & streetlight combined.....I orginally was more into looking at shapes of poles which probably started with me and New York City since I went there pretty often so as a kid in a car in a long trip, that was something for me to look at, random streetlight poles on highways!

Examples:

Truss arms and twin tapereds

LI Express way randoms

(more of those highway scenes will be uploaded soon)

But later I actually started noticing different styles of cobraheads which was because of different models or brands which I didn't notice as much before! I believe one of my personal favorites back then was the silver GE M-250Rs with remote photocells!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Brisluminous
Re: Collecting bulbs? « Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 06:33:57 AM » Author: Brisluminous
I have collected bulbs all my life, since I could walk.

I think they are just beautiful and fascinating objects.

My collection of 70 odd is nothing, compared to some members. Globe Collector has over 10,000 and I think he would love to have some input into this great old post. So I'm sort of bumping it for him (and others too).

Joining the Lighting-Gallery has enhanced my interset and has cost me a fortune because it has increased my hunger for aquiring more lighting goodies. Compared to many of you, I am way behind in getting mine powered up - I have three young children and time is my enemy.

Banning of incandescent globes has put the world in a frenzy, with tens of thousands of people all around the world tracking down the last of them and hoarding them.

So Andrew, when you see this, speak up lad.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Collecting bulbs? « Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 04:30:51 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I collect and have done since I was 10, but back then I could only look at them, and now 30 years later I can run and use them with all the control gear I have acquired over the years, (and the electrical knowlage to do this), via building rigs for each lamp.

Its also good to put them into service around the home.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Brisluminous
Re: Collecting bulbs? « Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 07:29:40 AM » Author: Brisluminous
Rich if you still have lamps from 30 years ago, that's impressive.

I have lost all but a couple of my original lamps over my lifetime. There were times in life where it was just too difficult to store them. Over the last year or two, I have put a lot of energy and expense into putting a collection together.

The L.G Forums have really motivated me to go the extra mile!
BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Collecting bulbs? « Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 02:33:42 PM » Author: BG101
Most of the lamps I have were bought for use, however a few are only used occasionally (for demonstration or experimentation) and I do have a few oldies which are being preserved for posterity.

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Collecting bulbs? « Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 06:13:37 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Blake, sadly I have none of my very first ones anymore as my dad wasn`t impressed with his 10 year old son collecting thigs in the house like that! ::)
My first lamp I bought was a MBF in 80watt by Thorn, but a total disaster would see me drop it out of the attic and break it! >:(, I still have whats left of it, which is the cap and tube fitted to the framework, and is now 25 years old.
My oldest ones in my collection are some 1950s, 200watt GLS lamps made for British Railways by Mazda.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:16:31 AM by LinearSLI/H » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies