Author Topic: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!)  (Read 51519 times)
Zelandeth

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL @zelandeth Zelandeth zelandeth zelandeth zelandeth
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #60 on: July 14, 2011, 03:56:18 PM » Author: Zelandeth
The yellow stuff we've got up there is single-core and pretty beefy.  I've no worries about the current carrying capacity, just a pain that they're all the same colour if you're trying to work on the system.

The coax (cheap and nasty coax in this case as well) is the only *really* dodgy thing I've found so far.  It's the "so far" which worries me...
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #61 on: July 14, 2011, 05:51:49 PM » Author: Ash
I see what you mean. Been shocked by standing on 2 floor tiles in my home. Came out there were damaged wires laid right below them without protective duct
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #62 on: November 27, 2011, 08:48:22 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Found a good one yesterday.

My parents told me that their outside light had stopped working, and was tripping the circuit breaker for the lighting circuit.

Simple enough, I say, as there's only about six feet between it and the light switch which it works from.  Probably just a bit of water having got in somewhere.

You can imagine my surprise when I pulled the light switch off the wall and discovered what it had been wired up with.  TV ANTENNA COAX!

Even more surprising is that it had been working perfectly fine for at least the last eleven years since we moved in.  Unsurprisingly, the cable was a dead short and the cause of the tripping circuit breaker.  It's now been re-wired with something rather more suitable.

I've done/seen/heard about  a few interesting ones:
once, when I was about four years old or so, I attempted to stick a nightlight bulb into a regular lamp. Oh, the sparks! It destroyed the lamp!
Don't even get me started on Nitwit ridge!
I've seen wiring connected to a generator with absolutely no breakers of fuses.
My friend's house had/has (note: we are off the grid), a 2-prong plug powering the house!
Someone I know has wires SCREWED into other wires (note, this is 12 volt ), and disconnected.
My neighbor's house was pretty crazy.
I have seen extension cords used for actual wiring.
Not as bad, but my school has mixed-up color temps of flourescent lights. It's kinds weird to see one chroma 50 among a bunch of 4100k tubes. They also don't change both bulbs in a fixture at the same time, so you have mixed brightnesses.
My teacher related a story to me of his son putting a piece of paper in an easy-bake oven, it almost caught on fire.
My teacher has been jokingly called an electrician when working on cubicles with integrated wiring.
Someone I know tells a story of the plug for a stereo being halfway out of the outlet but still making contact, when a necklace fell from the shelf above the sparks were pretty awesome, evidently.
Let's not forget someone I know who had a breaker box mounted to their generator. Even though there was a big piece of rubber between it and the box to absorb some of the vibration, the wire for the main breaker vibrated loose and arced. Ever since this individual had lived in that house, the lights had flickered slightly,but it suddenly got worse one day. Guy goes into the 20' container van the generator was installed in, and the room is full of smoke and the burning wiring smell. He immediately shut off the genertor, and discovered the arcing, which had melted the breaker!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #63 on: November 28, 2011, 02:29:11 AM » Author: Medved
I've seen wiring connected to a generator with absolutely no breakers of fuses.

Many lower power generators do not need any fuses, as their output lad characteristic already protect against short circuits.
And the fuses/breakers won't work, because such generators are not able to deliver current high enough to trip them, so they are usable only as switches.

But what does make sense to use is ground fault shut down (either GFCI or other leakage detector linked to the engine shut off).
For protection against loose sparking the only thing, what work, is some form of AFCI (as the related current is not enough to trip breaker, but the heat released at the sparking spot is enough to set a fire)

No more selfballasted c***

SeanB~1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #64 on: November 28, 2011, 02:15:55 PM » Author: SeanB~1
I think AFCI is a uniquely American thing, as here 230V will trip breakers. Had a fault today on airconditioner, where water got into the outdoor isolator and burnt it out, so will replace tomorrow after stripping back the cables to remove the crispy sections. Had quite a storm last night, parking lot for the Casspirs is around a foot under water, when I went home the Metro was using pumps on floats to get it into the storm water drains.
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #65 on: November 28, 2011, 02:20:52 PM » Author: nogden
I still have never seen an AFCI "in the wild". They are code on new homes for a few circuits but I don't know anyone who is installing them anywhere else. I'm not running right out to buy them!
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #66 on: November 28, 2011, 04:19:16 PM » Author: Ash
We dont have them (Israel 240V), and looks like they are redundant. Arcing here (unless limited by some other resistance or ballasted somehow) does not arc continupusly, but makes one big flash and immediately trips the breakers

As for the generator :

Thermal breakers can be good overload protection, and shold be installed

I doubt even the smallest generator can't give enough current to trip a B6 breaker magnetically - it takes just 24A
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #67 on: November 28, 2011, 04:40:09 PM » Author: Medved
I think AFCI is a uniquely American thing, as here 230V will trip breakers.

It trip the breakers, but only when the short circuit current is high enough to trip the instant (electromagnetic) trigger, so at least 10x the rated current for at least one second. On 230V direct mains indeed the formed arc take care of it (currents are way higher, so less time is needed for the breaker to react), while the 120V mains does not guarantee this with high enough reliability (too low voltage to form such fat arc so quickly).
But many generators do not provide this current (or not for such long time - only capacitor discharge, but nothing more), so the breaker would not trip.

Once I met the problem of not tripping the breaker on intermittent short circuits even on 230V - when using long extension cord (about 50m/1.5mm^2, so short circuit current was only about 200A, my guess) It triggered for really hard, permanent short with reasonable core temperature rise (no noticeable temperature change of the spool, when I did few experiments with that later on), but the loose wire was sparking there for few seconds (the house did not use the RCD, it was an older installation), before the breaker responded, melting the screw head. So it would be able easily to set the fire, should be there anything flammable in the close proximity.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #68 on: November 28, 2011, 04:47:01 PM » Author: Ash
What was the size of the breaker it was supposed to trip ? IIRC you need 3-5x and 5-10x (so average 4x and 7.5x) the rated current to instantly trip B and C breakers respectively
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #69 on: November 28, 2011, 05:07:14 PM » Author: Medved
The "B" (so rated to protect only wiring) need 10x the nominal current to trip within 1 second, while the integral i^2*t till it break the current is within certain limits.
So for 15A breaker it mean 150A within 1 second, 210A within 0.5 seconds, 300A within 0.25s and so on.
Most of the breakers are way faster, as that time is measured from the current appearing till the current being interrupted, what yield on higher fault currents time in low ms range, the intermittent arcing does not have to create pulses much longer.

So if the current during the arcing is about 150A (mains voltage minus the arc voltage drop, the result divided by the wiring resistance), many breakers would not trip on the arcing bursts only few ms long.
And if the arc drop is so, the fault current is only 100A, the breaker won't trip on the electromagnet at all (only the thermal trigger, but that is after some time).

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #70 on: November 28, 2011, 06:01:25 PM » Author: nogden
Arcing actually can be a problem here. Especially arcs in series with a load. Arcs in series with the load won't make the load draw more current, so they won't trip standard breakers. You can also get an arc at the end of a long, lightweight extension cord that doesn't carry sufficient current to trip the breaker before starting a fire.
FrontSideBus

View Posts
View Gallery

FrontSideBus
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #71 on: December 01, 2011, 06:52:37 PM » Author: FrontSideBus
Touched the ht out of a home made flyback transformer by mistake. Finger went nicely numb for several minutes. Was putting an 8w fluro tube across it to make it light up.  ;D

Bulbs are for planting: Lamps are for lighting!
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/index.php?cat=11271

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #72 on: December 01, 2011, 08:25:18 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Not nearly as crazy as some of the things have done, but I've modified multiple sets of Christmas lights.......with them plugged in :o (a mod that involves taking them partially apart/leaving exposed wires until put back together)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

FrontSideBus

View Posts
View Gallery

FrontSideBus
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #73 on: December 01, 2011, 09:06:31 PM » Author: FrontSideBus
Heh, needless to say I'm in no rush to repeat getting zapped by about 30kv. No current but still hurt like hell.  :)

Bulbs are for planting: Lamps are for lighting!
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/index.php?cat=11271

paintballer22

View Posts
View Gallery

120V/240V 60hz

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #74 on: December 01, 2011, 09:24:39 PM » Author: paintballer22
A couple of years ago I found some incandescent bulbs they looked liked 60w A-19 lamps so I put them in a five bulb chandelier when I turned on the light they blew up :o ??? I had one more left and looked at very carefully and found out they wore 12 volt bulbs not 120 volt bulbs as the etch was hard to see.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies