Author Topic: CFL nostalgia!  (Read 2759 times)
arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #15 on: April 28, 2022, 02:08:09 PM » Author: arcblue
I definitely find CFLs collectible. Once CFLs were mostly homogenized to spiral instant-start form, I took my older CFLs largely out of regular service to display the various tube designs that were used throughout the years. It's quite fascinating the various designs of U-tube, twin tube, tri-tube and quad tubes used over the years....even the spiral designs could be different, and there were unique designs like the Hitachi, Megaman, Plumen, the lotus shape, the MaxLite "filament" spiral, circline, 2-D, cold cathode, hybrid with LED or halogen, and electrodeless designs....magnetic preheat, electronic and program start ballasts, and adapters with replaceable tubes. I have one of almost every style now and they rotate use in my display weekly.

Diversity is what makes life on this planet interesting, even though we each have our preferences. I would get very irritated if I only could use one or two lamp types, even if they were my most favourite lamps. To me it's like having to wear the same uniform every day vs. having a closet of clothes. I don't know how I survived childhood since my home basically had soft white incandescents in every fixture...I guess it was the one halogen, the pair of clear incandescents and the two F6T5s I had that kept me sane, plus a good variety of classic T12 fluorescents, mercury streetlights and HPS out in the world. My interest in collecting light bulbs began when I bought my first CFL, a GE Compax, in 1990, so CFLs have special meaning.

I'm lampin...

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #16 on: May 06, 2022, 03:43:55 PM » Author: Silverliner
Sure, CFL nostalgia exists. My CFL collection is satisfied when I got a pair of early 1980s Westinghouse Econ-Novas.  :)

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #17 on: May 08, 2022, 02:08:27 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I definitely find CFLs collectible. Once CFLs were mostly homogenized to spiral instant-start form, I took my older CFLs largely out of regular service to display the various tube designs that were used throughout the years. It's quite fascinating the various designs of U-tube, twin tube, tri-tube and quad tubes used over the years....even the spiral designs could be different, and there were unique designs like the Hitachi, Megaman, Plumen, the lotus shape, the MaxLite "filament" spiral, circline, 2-D, cold cathode, hybrid with LED or halogen, and electrodeless designs....magnetic preheat, electronic and program start ballasts, and adapters with replaceable tubes. I have one of almost every style now and they rotate use in my display weekly.

Diversity is what makes life on this planet interesting, even though we each have our preferences. I would get very irritated if I only could use one or two lamp types, even if they were my most favourite lamps. To me it's like having to wear the same uniform every day vs. having a closet of clothes. I don't know how I survived childhood since my home basically had soft white incandescents in every fixture...I guess it was the one halogen, the pair of clear incandescents and the two F6T5s I had that kept me sane, plus a good variety of classic T12 fluorescents, mercury streetlights and HPS out in the world. My interest in collecting light bulbs began when I bought my first CFL, a GE Compax, in 1990, so CFLs have special meaning.
I agree with you on the spirals!  ;D , we did have them here but they were not as mainstream as they were in the US, our most common ones were the twin U tube and Philips’s Genie, I only ever had one spiral in use, even when CFL was the main choice for domestic lighting!
It would have been sad if all you could get were the spirals, given they were not even the most efficient design!, I can understand why Ed Hammer went with the spirals, as you could indeed get a lot of tube into such a small area, but I wonder if he ever realised how hard they would be to phosphor coat?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #18 on: May 09, 2022, 10:12:57 PM » Author: Cavannus
Interesting! CFL are not an old technology, however I assume your nostalgia depends on your own experiences and age. If your parents or grand parents used CFLs, or if you used them when you were a student, or if they are part of your lighting enthusiasm, then they probably carry good memories.

Personally I've always hated them, because their light has a poor colour rendering compared to the linear tubes. Home CFLs became popular when I started working, no I have no emotion related to them. I only like the first magnetic ballast CFLs, and I think their light is better.

I also remember the first industrial/commercial CFLs (with an external ballast) when I was a teen, their thin and straight shape was a novelty, but once again I didn't like the light very much.

However I have a strong nostalgia regarding the first Nichia 5mm leds (around 2000-2001) and still have some headlamps that use them. They had a blue centre spot, but the overall CRI were quite cool, around 80, and the warm materials (wood, skin, etc.) render very well.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #19 on: May 10, 2022, 05:55:59 AM » Author: AngryHorse
For me, when I moved into my own house in 1995, I first fitted 2 foot fluorescent battens in every room, however back then the fittings I bought only came with standard halophosphate tubes (white 35), a colour that I think looks awful for domestic use!
The electronic CFL were already established, and given the poor power factor with fluorescent battens on wire wound gear, I did a mass change over to them two years later.
I’ve always liked the complete package of the CFL, as your still getting the benefits of fluorescent but contained in one unit with tri-phosphor tube and on board HF efficient running gear, in various compact sizes and wattages.

I have had all LED fitted in the house, but although the LED lamps are more efficient at producing light, I always missed the nostalgic side of the CFL, the gradual warm up, the visible wear marks you get on the tube and the long thin shape of them, I guess that’s what I find nostalgic about them?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #20 on: May 10, 2022, 06:35:01 AM » Author: Rommie
My favourites are the American coloured spirals, where the base of the lamp is the same colour as the tube. Here, they tended to use white bases irrespective of the tube colour, which weren't nearly as good to look at when unlit.

:cfl3: :redcfl: :pinkcfl: :ycfl: :gcfl: :Bluecfl: :blbcfl:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

Resolutely crack down on inferior LED lighting!!

GoL
Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #21 on: May 13, 2022, 02:54:31 AM » Author: bulb_tester2009
My favourites are the American coloured spirals, where the base of the lamp is the same colour as the tube. Here, they tended to use white bases irrespective of the tube colour, which weren't nearly as good to look at when unlit.

:cfl3: :redcfl: :pinkcfl: :ycfl: :gcfl: :Bluecfl: :blbcfl:
I have a green CFL whose tube is the same as a normal CFL when it's not on, but when it's on, it emits a beautiful green light. :greencflhd:

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
 :hps::hps::hps:
由于我来自中国,所以英语不精通,大部分内容都是翻译的,所以可能不通顺,请大家谅解
Note:
Bulb base in China:E12(CES) E14(SES) B22d(BC) E27(ES) E40(GES)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies