Author Topic: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting?  (Read 12781 times)
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #30 on: December 22, 2020, 10:34:30 AM » Author: sol
Ah, ok, makes sense. Here, home improvement stores (used to) sell HID to the public. There are still lots in use although the numbers are declining. I do know that some people are confused by this maximum wattage labels that should be worded differently. Even electricians don’t always understand HID, sometimes.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #31 on: December 22, 2020, 10:36:32 AM » Author: Rommie
No, sadly discharge lighting has never been available retail over here. Wholesalers and in recent years places like eBay have been the only sources. Generally, people who buy discharge lighting here are people who know what they're doing with it (well usually, anyway..!)  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #32 on: December 22, 2020, 10:40:58 AM » Author: sol
You’re right, HID is a strange beast to the uninitiated.  :)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #33 on: December 22, 2020, 04:51:04 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
No, sadly discharge lighting has never been available retail over here. Wholesalers and in recent years places like eBay have been the only sources. Generally, people who buy discharge lighting here are people who know what they're doing with it (well usually, anyway..!)  :mrg:

A website like CP-Lighting or BLTDirect is a good place to shop for HID lighting in Britain. In addition, these sites also ship lamps, ballasts, and fixtures throughout the world. I personally bought some rare European 100w E27 coated Sylvania HPS lamps from BLT Direct for my own collection.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #34 on: December 22, 2020, 05:58:58 PM » Author: Rommie
True, but these are not retail stores such as is common in the US.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #35 on: December 22, 2020, 07:46:34 PM » Author: HPS_250
A common misconception in my opinion is that all HID is inefficient. When LED is advertised, the ads often make other lamp types seem much worse than they really are. For example, I once saw an LED advertisement that said LEDs last “10 times longer” because according to them, LED lasts 50,000 hours and HPS 5000 hours. The other most common misconception is simply believing false advertising.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #36 on: December 22, 2020, 09:35:16 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
A common misconception in my opinion is that all HID is inefficient. When LED is advertised, the ads often make other lamp types seem much worse than they really are. For example, I once saw an LED advertisement that said LEDs last “10 times longer” because according to them, LED lasts 50,000 hours and HPS 5000 hours. The other most common misconception is simply believing false advertising.

I personally have a fear that all of this LED stuff going on will potentially lead to pointless bulb bans of non-LED lighting in many countries.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #37 on: December 22, 2020, 09:40:41 PM » Author: Binarix128
I personally have a fear that all of this LED stuff going on will potentially lead to pointless bulb bans of non-LED lighting in many countries.
My friend that's already happening all over the world.  :P
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #38 on: December 22, 2020, 10:37:00 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
My friend that's already happening all over the world.  :P

Do you have any evidence of any countries making outright bans on HID lighting?

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #39 on: December 22, 2020, 10:47:17 PM » Author: Binarix128
Do you have any evidence of any countries making outright bans on HID lighting?
They're not being banned, but are getting pushed away by the LEDs. I haven't seen a HID or incandescent bulb at the local home stores since 2017, also, HID streetlights are getting massively LEDiseased, and are getting harder to get in general.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #40 on: December 23, 2020, 05:41:23 AM » Author: sol
With the popularity of LED, no bans are necessary ; supply and demand will make them vanish... :(
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #41 on: December 23, 2020, 06:54:43 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It's not just the popularity, which is driven by the advertising campaigns, but the fact that manufacturers have a wider profit margin on L*Ds   >:(
They have introduced bans here, for new installations it must be cool white L*D  :curse:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 06:58:50 AM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #42 on: December 23, 2020, 03:09:23 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
It's not just the popularity, which is driven by the advertising campaigns, but the fact that manufacturers have a wider profit margin on L*Ds   >:(
They have introduced bans here, for new installations it must be cool white L*D  :curse:

So, is this a law in all of the UK to not allow HID in new installations including CMH?

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #43 on: December 23, 2020, 05:48:35 PM » Author: AngryHorse
It’s more to do with the EU, people here though had a common misconception that HID will make a return when we’ve left the EU, but 3 of our biggest lighting factories have closed here since the millennium, so there’s little chance of that if it were even true!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are examples of common misconceptions about lighting? « Reply #44 on: December 23, 2020, 06:08:27 PM » Author: Rommie
Sadly, I fear you are right  :'(

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies