Author Topic: HPS lamp technology obsolete?  (Read 3204 times)
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
HPS lamp technology obsolete? « on: March 05, 2007, 03:46:45 AM » Author: Silverliner
Found this interesting article. The city of Compton considers HPS lighting to be awful in regards to color, etc and even considers it outdated! BTW Compton is full of bad neighrhoods so be careful there!

http://www.thecomptonbulletin.com/news02_070506/index.html

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS lamp technology obsolete? « Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 04:31:54 PM » Author: don93s
I believe current HPS technology will eventually become obsolete because people will get sick of the lousy color rendering and dingy atmosphere created by these lights as well as the fact that our vision doesn't respond well to this spectrum at night.

As more infrastructures get updated, more alternatives will be available as opposed to the 1980-90's when HPS seemed the most economical option.
chapman84
Re: HPS lamp technology obsolete? « Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 10:27:07 PM » Author: chapman84
High pressure sodium is also a maintenance nightmare since most of those lamps made today are junk. I've noticed lamps that started cycling at only 3 years old.

I can't stand the color rendering or the nasty glare from those high pressure sodium lights. Those 400-1000 watt lights hurt my eyes too.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: HPS lamp technology obsolete? « Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 09:43:42 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Well Alex......according to Steve....some Merc bulbs from China Philips have even lasted like 2 months....I have one VERY DEAD MV bulb given to me from him that only lasted 2 months! Maybe LESS!!!!

Also Cooper Cobraheads make HPS bulbs not last as long.....I have noticed GE fixture HPS seems to do pretty well lasting 5 years............while Coopers last a lot shorter.....

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

chapman84
Re: HPS lamp technology obsolete? « Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 02:21:49 PM » Author: chapman84
Yeah those Phillips mercs are also poor quality ever since they started making them in China. I think they starting doing that around late 2005.

The only good mercs I know not made in China are the GEs. Those are now made in Hungary.

It seems like the only thing these companies care about is making money, I guess money talks and quality walks or something like that.
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: HPS lamp technology obsolete? « Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 12:38:45 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I believe current HPS technology will eventually become obsolete because people will get sick of the lousy color rendering and dingy atmosphere created by these lights as well as the fact that our vision doesn't respond well to this spectrum at night.

As more infrastructures get updated, more alternatives will be available as opposed to the 1980-90's when HPS seemed the most economical option.
I dread the day when/if that comes to my city... not only will my childhood memory of orange streets be taken, but my night vision aswell... I HATE white light at night... and I'm sure the wildlife does too....

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: HPS lamp technology obsolete? « Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 07:49:47 AM » Author: 589
The more Amber and worse color rendering the better imho. I can stare straight into a sox 180w floodlight and it not hurt. Try doing that with any white light source. And yes the lower cri is better for wildlife as well.
l
l
l
l
V

:lps:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: HPS lamp technology obsolete? « Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 06:27:04 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl

On the contrary, the human eyes respond best to the yellow light from SOX and HPS lighting, hence professional drivers and marksmen having yellow tinted glasses.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS lamp technology obsolete? « Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 06:27:18 PM » Author: Rommie
I HATE white light at night...
Me too  >:(

This isn't a direct attack on LED by the way, it's an attack on any white street lighting. MH is the same in many places, although LED is the worst regarding glare as far as I'm concerned.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: HPS lamp technology obsolete? « Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 10:07:52 AM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
The more Amber and worse color rendering the better imho. I can stare straight into a sox 180w floodlight and it not hurt. Try doing that with any white light source. And yes the lower cri is better for wildlife as well.
l
l
l
l
V

Yes, totally agreeable
But what about red streetlights

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS lamp technology obsolete? « Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 10:48:52 AM » Author: Ash
If some places would be lit with them and some with other stuff, it won't be bad (this holds for any color, not necessarily Red)

If the question is whether its ok as an only light source, it might be too far off, and it might cause some eye strain for the same reason LEDs do with the Blue : The Red will disproportionally affect the L (Red) cone cells compared to the overall visible brightness (so size of the pupil of the eye, that adapts to it). The overloaded cells will cause increased eye strain. While the L cone cells are not as few as the S (Blue) cells, and have less of other problems related with them, we are talking about pure Red light here vs. LED White in which Blue is only a part

Also, there is no sense from the energy saving point of view in using Red light : Red is way off the main part of the spectrum we can see brightly, i.e. it takes putting out more light power (and respectivey electrical power input to the lamp) in Red to make the lighting appear as bright, compared to something we preceive better like Orange of SON
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies