Author Topic: MH Legalities  (Read 3593 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

MH Legalities « on: May 29, 2016, 08:25:31 AM » Author: wattMaster
Are MH bulbs banned? Everything indicates no, But I think there are some bans in place.
What about PSMH? QMH? CMH? What about "Xenon" MH?

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: MH Legalities « Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 08:34:56 AM » Author: dor123
I don't heard about ban on MH lamps in the US, but in the EU, most probe and pulse start MH lamps will be banned at 2016: http://www.osram.com/media/resource/HIRES/615522/118844/erp-guideline-phase-out-2017-and-future-proof-lamps-list-en.pdf

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: MH Legalities « Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 09:04:52 AM » Author: wattMaster
Attack of the EU!  :o

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: MH Legalities « Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 01:39:50 PM » Author: BlueHalide
All types of metal halide are still legal here in the US. The reason being that our gov't likes to phase out technology on only the merits of efficiency and CRI, which even probe start metal halide far exceeds. If the gov't increases their minimum efficiency requirement to say 85 lm/w to knock out probe start MH, they also would need to ban most fluorescents like T8, T5, PL and induction, as well as some LED. MH is still too efficient to be banned anytime soon.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: MH Legalities « Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 01:46:00 PM » Author: wattMaster
All types of metal halide are still legal here in the US. The reason being that our gov't likes to phase out technology on only the merits of efficiency and CRI, which even probe start metal halide far exceeds. If the gov't increases their minimum efficiency requirement to say 85 lm/w to knock out probe start MH, they also would need to ban most fluorescents like T8, T5, PL and induction, as well as some LED. MH is still too efficient to be banned anytime soon.
Phew.  :)
Actually lots of LED is 85 LPW or less.

ADAM90

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: MH Legalities « Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 02:31:39 PM » Author: ADAM90
I don't heard about ban on MH lamps in the US, but in the EU, most probe and pulse start MH lamps will be banned at 2016: http://www.osram.com/media/resource/HIRES/615522/118844/erp-guideline-phase-out-2017-and-future-proof-lamps-list-en.pdf
That's a bad joke right? They can not do it...
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: MH Legalities « Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 02:33:19 PM » Author: wattMaster
That's a bad joke right? They can not do it...
I'm confused.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: MH Legalities « Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 02:38:37 PM » Author: Medved
Well, comparing the efficacy of a 30klm beast against a 400lm device is anything but fair. The HID do reach high efficacy, but only at high power levels. For about a 600lm or below you will have hart time to find anything more efficient than LED's.
Plus the point is not that much the efficacy of the lamp alone, but the complete system starting at power connection and ending at the visibility in the desired area at the time when needed. And that is way more complex thing than just a single lm/W figure.

That said, there is no excuse for government bans: It is the operator (so the user), who is responsible to get that done in an effective way

No more selfballasted c***

ADAM90

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: MH Legalities « Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 02:39:38 PM » Author: ADAM90
I'm confused.
Me too... :( But if that's true we have to do some expensive replacements to led... Our city is illuminated by 50% of various type of metal halide in the streetlights. The remaining 50% is high pressure sodium, compact fluorescent and a small piece of led
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 02:42:16 PM by ADAM90 » Logged
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: MH Legalities « Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 02:41:34 PM » Author: wattMaster
Me too... :( But if that's true we have to do some expensive replacements to led... Our city is illuminated by 50% of various type of metal halide in the streetlights. The remaining 50% is high pressure sodium, compact fluorescent and a small piece of led
Florida is mostly HPS and LED.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: MH Legalities « Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 05:57:14 PM » Author: Ash
600 Lm is the output of a 9W PL-S, that uses 12W including Magnetic ballast. At this low power it simply does not matter if the light draws 12W or 6W. I dont consider cases where 100's of those 9W PL-s are used in one room, that is bad design in the 1st place and those cases are not common
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: MH Legalities « Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 06:22:48 PM » Author: wattMaster
600 Lm is the output of a 9W PL-S, that uses 12W including Magnetic ballast. At this low power it simply does not matter if the light draws 12W or 6W. I dont consider cases where 100's of those 9W PL-s are used in one room, that is bad design in the 1st place and those cases are not common
This would matter if it was in a battery powered item, Like a lantern.
A savings of 1 watt could mean an extra hour or two.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: MH Legalities « Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 06:25:32 PM » Author: Ash
The bans are all about mains powered lighting
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: MH Legalities « Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 07:16:01 PM » Author: wattMaster
The bans are all about mains powered lighting

So that's why I still see Incandescent flashlights.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: MH Legalities « Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 05:32:54 PM » Author: Medved
To be more specific: The bans are all only about general service lighting.
A flashlight is not a general service lighting, but a special use. But I think the commercial market pressure will make the incandescents to end very soon there. I have strong doubts any new ones are really still made, I would rather guess all ot os just selling off the inventory...

The "Long life", "rough service", "signal" and similar are again special service lamps, so not affected by the bans.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies