Author Topic: The first LED retrofit lamp you saw in your life?  (Read 970 times)
arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The first LED retrofit lamp you saw in your life? « Reply #15 on: April 05, 2024, 01:19:17 PM » Author: arcblue
Indeed, the first LED retrofit lamp I saw in use were the tubular exit sign ones with 5mm red or green LEDs. The oldest LED retrofit lamp I have personally dates to the early 90s I think - it's a 12V MR16 bipin base and uses a cluster of 5mm red LEDs. In the early 2000s I bought some early Lights of America PAR30 CFLs that used 6500K 5mm LEDs. It looks like a showerhead. One has been in nightly use for 14 years now on a timer, so it's surpassed the 30,000 mark and all diodes are still working, just very dim and yellowed out. I also bought some early A19 LEDs of various styles and one of the heavy metal case R20 GE LED spotlights around the same time, and some early SMD low-voltage flashlight and landscape bulb retrofits that put out barely any usable light. Maybe the absolute worst I remember were the plastic base "Meridian" C7 nightlight retrofit LEDs that used a single 5mm LED. They were just about useless in terms of light and failed by literally burning up...not a good design.

I'm lampin...

EnzoLiv

View Posts
View Gallery

Hello

@enzoliv
Re: The first LED retrofit lamp you saw in your life? « Reply #16 on: April 29, 2024, 04:42:28 AM » Author: EnzoLiv
Was in 2012, at Rio de Janeiro, when they retrofitted the Rodrigo de Freitas lake pedestrian lighting with the GE envolve Iberia fixtures
Today they are no longer there and had been replaced by new bad quality LED street lights

Fan of :mhhd: MH, :par: Low voltage Halogen and :cflhd: Fluorescent

In collection: 156 lamps

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The first LED retrofit lamp you saw in your life? « Reply #17 on: April 29, 2024, 11:53:22 PM » Author: Michael
Does this also counts as a retrofit lamp?

My mum got a bunch of green T5mm LEDs in the late 1980s. A couple of these she installed into some „Pissello“ sockets of christmas tree lights in place of dead incandescent bulbs. It does worked well. However I don‘t remember but quite possibly she also added some resistors to them.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies