Author Topic: USA Lighting Legislation Update  (Read 1722 times)
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
USA Lighting Legislation Update « on: January 02, 2011, 12:35:45 PM » Author: nogden
Hello everyone,

I have been reviewing current USA lighting legislation and wanted to remind everyone that the DoE has quietly established some new rules for fluorescent tubes and halogen reflectors. This is in addition to the Energy Independance and Security Act of 2007 (EISA 2007). We discussed this before but I thought I should bring it up again. Additionally, there is a good chance that the DoE is going to establish even stricter standards for some lamps in the near future.

Sylvania has some good resources for federal and state legislation:
Take a look at their regulations homepage.
Most importantly, take a look at this presentation.

I was going to put together a review of recent legislation but Sylvania's presentation is very good.
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: USA Lighting Legislation Update « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 12:43:37 PM » Author: nogden
Now my commentary/opinion:

Naturally, I think this lighting legislation is absolutely absurd! I hate the idea of big brother telling Americans what light bulbs to use. This legislation (all of it from EPACT92 to the latest DoE rulemaking) is evidence of too much government control and a reduction of individual rights. I also dislike this legislation (especially EISA 2007) because of the technical issues surrounding the replacement lamps. We all know about the hazards of CFLs and the uncertainty of LEDs! It is just silly.

I can go on and on about the absurdities of this legislation, but that doesn't do much good. What can/should we do about this? Is there really anything we can do? Is there still a chance to persuade the DoE not to go ahead with their proposed rulemaking that would further restrict lighting? How can we do something productive and positive? (Besides stocking up on soon-to-be-banned lamps.)

I just thought I would bring this to everyone's attention again.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies