Author Topic: vintage smithcraft & Day-Brite lighting  (Read 1504 times)
Dano
vintage smithcraft & Day-Brite lighting « on: March 21, 2017, 01:45:07 AM » Author: Dano
hi Dan here,  recently I was removing florescent lighting in my shop and found myself amazed at the difference between old american made vrs. china? there are three 8 ft in length that must weigh close to 100# (amazing real steel!)each, they were smith-craft from Mass. and Day-Brite from Santa Clara Cal. they were here when i bought the house in 1980 but look to be considerably older maybe 50s or 60s I had originally planned to throw them in the dump but they seem to have some redeeming value? can anyone help me out with info on vintage florescent's ? thanks Dan
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: vintage smithcraft & Day-Brite lighting « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 02:22:15 AM » Author: Ash
They are most valuable as Fluorescents doing their job, even today. Wipe off the dust, put in new lamps, if there is a problem with the ballasts then new ballasts too, and they will outperform and outlast most modern things you could put up in their place
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: vintage smithcraft & Day-Brite lighting « Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 12:55:34 AM » Author: nicksfans
I'm curious about what the fixtures and ballasts look like. In any case, if they were working when removed, they'll likely last a good while longer. The biggest killers of these are 1) leaving dead lamps installed for a long time and 2) using energy-saver lamps on ballasts not rated for them.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Bert

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: vintage smithcraft & Day-Brite lighting « Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 09:53:16 PM » Author: Bert
I you're interested in getting rid of them, someone on here would definitely be interested.
Give us an idea of your location and if one of us are nearby we could get in touch.
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: vintage smithcraft & Day-Brite lighting « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 12:23:20 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Don't scrap them!  Someone will take em!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies