Author Topic: 40 watt GE ballast uses a Flasher Control  (Read 2488 times)
Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

40 watt GE ballast uses a Flasher Control « on: March 28, 2014, 07:34:59 PM » Author: Larry
This must be a oldie as the 40 watt GE ballast shows connections for a "flasher control". ???

Rapid start ballast uses a "Flasher Control" where ever you may find one of those. :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930s-Fluorescent-ballast-/320727900772?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aacdf6264
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 09:21:18 PM by Larry » Logged

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's GE Power Groove

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 40 watt GE ballast uses a Flasher Control not a starter. « Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 08:17:39 PM » Author: sol
That is a flashing ballast. The flasher is simply a switch that interrupts the arc current, and the cathode heating circuit is maintained to conserve lamp life while flashing. It's applications would be commercial signs and such (or jukeboxes as the seller suggests)... The flasher module is similar in operation to an automotive blinking relay. It can be used as a standard RS ballast by shorting the flasher switch wires. It is otherwise a standard RS ballast and uses no starter.
Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: 40 watt GE ballast uses a Flasher Control not a starter. « Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 09:20:07 PM » Author: Larry
That is a flashing ballast. The flasher is simply a switch that interrupts the arc current, and the cathode heating circuit is maintained to conserve lamp life while flashing. It's applications would be commercial signs and such (or jukeboxes as the seller suggests)... The flasher module is similar in operation to an automotive blinking relay. It can be used as a standard RS ballast by shorting the flasher switch wires. It is otherwise a standard RS ballast and uses no starter.

I did not know that.
I never thought of a  flashing Fluorescent light before, but I guess for signs it would be ok.
But I would not want one in my home. :D

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 40 watt GE ballast uses a Flasher Control « Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 10:00:00 PM » Author: sol
The most memorable installation that I can recall is the billboards at Picadilly Circus in London. You  may be able to find some footage of those signs on Youtube. One in particular had dozens of vertical lamps and the flashing chased each other in a similar fasion to the S14 lamps on the perimeter of cabaret signs.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 40 watt GE ballast uses a Flasher Control « Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 10:39:11 PM » Author: sol
Larry, have a look at this video. At 0:56 the TDK billboard (underneath the digital display) lights up. It's background is a massive amount of flashing fluorescent tubes. Very impressive in person. I think, however, that it has since been replaced with more electronic billboard like the top one, sadly. If any Londoners are nearby, maybe you can shed a little light on this question.  ;)
Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: 40 watt GE ballast uses a Flasher Control « Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 07:53:53 PM » Author: Larry
Yeah a lot of nice signs here have been replaced with these bill boards.
It has turned in to just light pollution for the most part as they are going up all over the place.
It has turned in to a distraction for drivers, so with these types of bill boards and driver cell phone use it is really distracting.
If I told you where I lived, you would understand.

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: 40 watt GE ballast uses a Flasher Control « Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 08:02:06 PM » Author: nicksfans
That is way cool! Never knew these existed.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies