Author Topic: Low Pressure Sodium Ballast Question  (Read 1091 times)
MeanDumpsterCat

View Posts
View Gallery

Low Pressure Sodium Ballast Question « on: January 07, 2022, 01:21:36 PM » Author: MeanDumpsterCat
Hi everyone.

I'm planning to set up a 35w low pressure sodium lamp. I know I will need a ballast and ignitor.

My question is would a ballast rated at 55w still work with a 35w bulb or would I risk damaging the lamp?

I would appreciate any help.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Low Pressure Sodium Ballast Question « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 01:34:34 PM » Author: Rommie
It depends on your location. If you're in the UK or Europe with a 220-240V supply, then most choke ballasts will run both 35W or 55W lamps.

If you're in the US with 120V then options are different, I'll leave one of our North American members to advise on that.

But anyway, welcome to the madhouse that is LG and as a diehard SOX fan I'll be interested to see how you get on  :lps: :lps: :lps:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

MeanDumpsterCat

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Low Pressure Sodium Ballast Question « Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 01:41:01 PM » Author: MeanDumpsterCat
Thanks,

I am in the UK so 240v country.

The ballast only says 55w. I have attached a picture if that helps.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Low Pressure Sodium Ballast Question « Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 01:47:24 PM » Author: Rommie
Yeah, that one looks to be single wattage. I found this one one on eBay which is dual wattage, you'd need an SX72 ignitor to go with that.

Hope this helps  :love:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

MeanDumpsterCat

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Low Pressure Sodium Ballast Question « Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 01:51:10 PM » Author: MeanDumpsterCat
Thanks. I do already have a Parmar PXE070255 ignitor on the way. Would I be able to use that instead of the SX72?
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Low Pressure Sodium Ballast Question « Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 01:52:26 PM » Author: Rommie
I've just looked that one up and it's a 3-wire 50/70W HPS ignitor, so NO  :poof:

MeanDumpsterCat

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Low Pressure Sodium Ballast Question « Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 01:54:46 PM » Author: MeanDumpsterCat
Yeah, it's this one. Just a standard ignitor by the looks of it.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Low Pressure Sodium Ballast Question « Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 01:55:23 PM » Author: Rommie
No, that's an HPS or MH ignitor. No good for SOX.

MeanDumpsterCat

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Low Pressure Sodium Ballast Question « Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 02:15:02 PM » Author: MeanDumpsterCat
Ahh, thanks. Well, I think it's too late for a refund on that. Guess it's useful if ever I want a HPS lamp :P.

Also, is it safe to mount the SOX lamps base-up. i.e installed like a regular light bulb on the ceiling. I heard something about them being weird in terms of how you should mount them.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Low Pressure Sodium Ballast Question « Reply #9 on: January 07, 2022, 02:20:25 PM » Author: Rommie
The SX72 is the one designed for that Philips ballast, so they're guaranteed to work well together. As for burning position, lamps up to 55W can be burnt base up with slight loss of light output, but the ideal position for them is horizontal.
NEVER burn them cap down  :o :poof:

For more info on the general principles of lamps of all types, including SOX, I can recommend the excellent Lamptech site, run by James Hooker, who is a member here.

See this page for an introduction to LPS lamps in general.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 02:28:35 PM by Rommie » Logged

Nisei

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Low Pressure Sodium Ballast Question « Reply #10 on: January 07, 2022, 03:24:11 PM » Author: Nisei
Send me a message
I can probably get you the right gear

John

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies