Author Topic: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ??  (Read 6575 times)
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « on: April 18, 2021, 12:09:06 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I know it's something we don't want to think about , but someday the time WILL come for each of us . Along with lighting , I also collect old cars . I've known several people in the old car hobby who's family wanted nothing to do with their collection after they passed and literally scrapped EVERYTHING that either wasn't finished or was deemed "not of any value to anyone" ! :poof:

I've only recently started to mildly consider what I'd like to see become of my many collections. Being that I'm 53 , I may want to consider thinking a bit harder.

Any thoughts or comments ??

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 12:21:06 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I’m 14, I got awhile yet before I go EOL. I don’t even want to think about it!

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 02:20:22 PM » Author: Econolite03
If I know my days are numbered, I would try to donate my collection to another lighting collector. It’s always good to plan ahead regardless.

My family members otherwise see my collection as outdated junk that could head to the dumpster, particularly my fixtures. So definitely if I could find a collector that could acquire it I would.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:22:30 PM by Econolite03 » Logged

Now on Linktree

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 06:12:06 PM » Author: Rommie
Hey Tim, I'm somewhat older than you, and I'm well aware, so yes we have to plan. Although I really don't know what we'll do with it all at the moment. I think some of the older pip-top lamps might well be museum material, but as for the rest, I don't know  :wndr:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 08:03:33 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
Well, I have thought many times about that. Among my wishes is that my estate find a good home or homes for all of my stuff, preferably in a museum. Further... during my funeral/wake that the room be lit by clear MVs and not those super bright mogul incandescents typically used in mortuary torcherie upright lamps.  :mv: :mv: :mv:

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 08:16:22 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Well i have a long road ahead of me and i don't like thinking about this too often or deep, if i ever burnout then i would have most of my collection given to other younger collectors and museums to help keep the history of lighting going. That and selling it all would probably be too much of a task for my family to deal with and i would be afraid it would all be tossed out. :P

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 08:17:51 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Further... during my funeral/wake that the room be lit by clear MVs and not those super bright mogul incandescents typically used in mortuary torcherie upright lamps.  :mv: :mv: :mv:

There was a comment that those mortuary lamps made the dead look alive, and clear mv made the alive look dead, so would you want to make the dead look undead? :wndr: ;)

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 08:19:23 PM » Author: thelightingman
I don't have to worry as I am only 15 and am nowhere near EOL.

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 08:40:33 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
There was a comment that those mortuary lamps made the dead look alive, and clear mv made the alive look dead, so would you want to make the dead look undead? :wndr: ;)

By that time if facial masks are still mandatory (lets hope not!) the effect of the clears should not matter that much.  :mv:
My second choice would be nicely greened-out /C MV lamps lighting the place if there was objection to the clear ones.  :mvc:

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 11:58:36 PM » Author: Lumex120
I've thought about this a lot more than I probably should (I'm only 18, but then again I'm someone who likes to prepare for things even if they seem unlikely). I have a few relatives/family members who are expert eBay sellers so they would try to sell off what they could from my collection, and the rest of my stuff would either go to Habitat or be put up on Craigslist. This is assuming it's sudden though. If it's something I know is coming, I'd just give away as much of my stuff on here for free as I could. At that point I'd just want to make sure it gets in good hands. Kind of depressing to think about but as I said I like being prepared for as many things as I can, something happened last year that's really made me consider things like this.

Unofficial LG Discord

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 12:13:54 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
My thoughts behind this were since most of us don't have any idea when our number will come up it might be worth while to at least have a plan setup just in case . I pretty much know for a fact that if my family outlives me that 99% of what I own will wind up in a large dumpster as they think that most of what I own is just that , TRASH !!  I want to make sure that my lighting collection at least gets distributed to members here .

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 09:40:38 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I'm old and worn out, and who knows how many more years I have left..

When I go EOL, I assume that some of the stuff(a small amount) would be kept & used by various family members, but most would probably just be "gotten rid of". Maybe by brother would eBay or CraigsList a bunch of it, or maybe it'd all just be scrapped. Maybe what they(family) should do is have it all incinerated and dumped with wherever my ashes go....

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 08:33:09 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
I know it's something we don't want to think about , but someday the time WILL come for each of us . Along with lighting , I also collect old cars . I've known several people in the old car hobby who's family wanted nothing to do with their collection after they passed and literally scrapped EVERYTHING that either wasn't finished or was deemed "not of any value to anyone" ! :poof:

I've only recently started to mildly consider what I'd like to see become of my many collections. Being that I'm 53 , I may want to consider thinking a bit harder.

Any thoughts or comments ??

I thought about this a little more and with having plenty of mercury in my blood, it will be rather difficult for me to be properly disposed of.  :laugh: :mvc: :mv:

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 09:37:53 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Well Joe , I think that would apply to a lot of us here !!!  :lol: :mv: :mvc:

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What becomes of your collection when YOU reach EOL ?? « Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 09:47:14 PM » Author: Bulbman256
I thought about this a little more and with having plenty of mercury in my blood, it will be rather difficult for me to be properly disposed of.  :laugh: :mvc: :mv:

Would we have to dump your remains in one of those fluorescent lamp disposal bins at hardware stores? :mrg: Although LallenLighting might stop by and get a nasty surprise if he stops bye...... :poof: :lol:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies