Author Topic: What's your favourite light source?  (Read 5116 times)
ElectroLite

View Posts
View Gallery

What's your favourite light source? « on: December 21, 2014, 12:03:09 AM » Author: ElectroLite
For me, It is:

Low Pressure Sodium (SOX/LPS)
Mercury Vapor (MBF/MV)
T12 & Old T8 Fluorescent
Metal Halide (MH)
High Pressure Sodium (HPS/SON)
Incandescent (GLS)

My room is filed with SOX and MV lamps :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:28:24 PM by subway5411 » Logged
Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 03:31:31 PM » Author: Beta 5
MBF (MV)
SOX (LPS)
SON-T (Tubular clear HPS lamps)
QMH (Quartz metal halide)
GLS (normal "A" shape incandescent lamps)
T12 & T8 Fluorescent (and all the 2D, PL-S and PL-C shapes)

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 04:01:27 PM » Author: merc
1. MBF (MV DX-coated) - old lamps with 5500+ K colour temperatures - for the best night atmosphere
2. Daylight fluorescents (especially those from Philips), incl. CFL (stick preferred) - for home/office lighting
3. SON-T (clear) for energy-efficient street lighting

Note: I don't mind LEDs (if they're properly made).
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 06:51:40 PM » Author: funkybulb
MV
LPS
Fluorescent
MH
HPS

In that order

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

ElectroLite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 07:07:31 PM » Author: ElectroLite
It's cool how lots of people like MV and LPS even though they are being phased out with "eco friendly" lamps. :(

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:29:34 PM by subway5411 » Logged
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 08:33:43 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
I like T12 and preheat T5 lighting, DX-coated mercury vapor and metal halide lamps, and incandescent. My favorite incandescent bulbs are the (now discontinued  :'( ) Sylvania Daylight bulbs.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

mrboojay

View Posts
View Gallery

I love bulbs of all types.

mrboojay UC2tpasJaLc8IhVdjcDkI_3A mrboojay mrboojays_pics
Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 02:11:50 PM » Author: mrboojay
HID MV
T12
Inc
CFLs believe it or not.

-mrboojay
My lighting-gallery.net Gallery
My YouTube Channel

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 05:31:22 PM » Author: hannahs lights
My favorites are clear conventional lightbulbs colored bulbs (forfun)
And any type of magnetic ballast fluorescent.  Hate any CFLs and LEDs grrr terrible things they are
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 01:19:55 AM » Author: Silverliner
Mercury Vapor
Magnetic linear fluorescent
Incandescent bulbs
Ceramic Metal Halide
Early CFLs

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 02:41:15 AM » Author: dor123
It's cool how lots of people like MV and LPS even though they are being phased out with "eco friendly" lamps. :(

Notice the quotes around Eco Friendly. Get it?

Lamp bans are evil.
@Subway5411: Medved said in the past that LPS don't being banned like the MV, but just the councils decided to stop using LPS lamps.
Read the comment of Medved here .
I like T12, T8 and short T5 fluorescents on magnetic ballast, magnetic 2D, PL-S and PL-D, MV, HPS and MH. Israel stopped to use LPS lamps during the beginning of the 2000s. I hate LED for general lighting, and where a strong light is required.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 08:32:40 AM » Author: nicksfans
Definitely linear or Circline fluorescent (and preferably magnetic preheat).

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

ElectroLite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 04:18:35 PM » Author: ElectroLite

Notice the quotes around Eco Friendly. Get it?

Lamp bans are evil.
@Subway5411: Medved said in the past that LPS don't being banned like the MV, but just the councils decided to stop using LPS lamps.
Read the comment of Medved here .
I like T12, T8 and short T5 fluorescents on magnetic ballast, magnetic 2D, PL-S and PL-D, MV, HPS and MH. Israel stopped to use LPS lamps during the beginning of the 2000s. I hate LED for general lighting, and where a strong light is required.

I know that LPS won't be banned because of their Lumens Per Watt, I'm just thinking that they may ban LPS because of their poor CRI.

But there is a pretty low chance of that happening.
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 05:08:32 AM » Author: tolivac
My favorites are the Metal Halide family of light sources-Pulse Start Ventures are a daily driver with me--400W and 450W.Next is Philips Ceramic Master Color-Retro White-this is a MH conversion bulb for HPS fixtures and ballasts.Best one out there!Excellent quality light and life!Another daily driver.For my portable lights-Again HID-Streamlite HID Lightbox 35W.Another is a Polarion "Abyss Dual" 30W(Lo)45W(Hi)portable dive light-these two are other daily drivers-esp good for security checks at work.Has to be done each shift.Nothing like a High powereed portable "darkness Sucker" to light the far ends of the tower feild-See lots of deer,possums!Their eyes stand out well!These portable lights use similar bulbs that HID car headlights use-often called "Xenide" bulbs-Xenon gas with halide salts in their tiny quartz arc tubes.They warm up to brightness and color very fast unlike the larger ones.The portable HID bulbs warm up in 30-45 seconds.And they can be hot restruck-but if you do this frequently-shortens the life of the lamp.
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 07:08:51 PM » Author: James
For me it is the latest generation of gas-cooled full-glass LED lamps.  They share so many technical features of conventional lamps and their manufacturing methods which makes them especially challenging to work on, they deliver an excellent light distribution pattern again similar to traditional lamps, are cheap to produce, and in parallel have the potential for extremely high performance thanks to the gas-cooling and improved light extraction efficiency from the LED die.  Still better they eliminate much of the system complexity of the usual LED paraphernalia such as heat sinks, thermal interfaces, printed circuit boards, soldered wires, screws, plastic parts etc. - as a result improving reliability and presenting a more inert product for disposal at end of life.

I really find it incredible that via this technique we can now make relatively long-lifetime LED replacements for ordinary 60W incandescent with efficacies pushing 150lm/W - far better than any other white-light HID lamp even of much higher powers - and which cost barely 2-3 times as much as a halogen eco lamp.  I do think that this new family of lamps will become very important in future - and thanks to their design will hopefully keep both traditional lighting enthusiasts as well as the latest technology-adopters all satisfied.
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: What's your favourite light source? « Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 07:54:46 PM » Author: nicksfans
I've thought about the same thing. "You mean lights used to not come on right away? That's annoying."

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies