Author Topic: Pesky light switch  (Read 5496 times)
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Pesky light switch « on: April 05, 2021, 10:13:35 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Hey all,

The lightswithc in my bathroom for the main door for the lights has started to flicker jsut a bit when turning it on, gonna investigate tommorow. I suspect its those pesky backstabes, if so i will rewire everything for screw terminal use. >:( :-\

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Pesky light switch « Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 10:20:28 PM » Author: Econolite03
Hmm, I have light switches that are backstab wired from the 70s and 2000s that I haven’t had any issues. They are Levitons. I’ve heard from a few electricians the issues with backstabbing, but so far I haven’t encountered it. Sounds like a loose connection.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 10:23:16 PM by Econolite03 » Logged

Now on Linktree

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Pesky light switch « Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 10:22:26 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Hmm, I have light switches that are backstab wired from the 70s and 2000s that I haven’t had any issues. They are Levitons.

There modern leveitones, the house was built last year. :P

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Pesky light switch « Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 10:25:49 PM » Author: Econolite03
There modern leveitones, the house was built last year. :P
I’m assuming they’re the standard, residential grade ones. I heard the newer residential Levitons have the option of backstab, screw-clamp, and hook-on-screw type connections (at least for the Decoras). My house is mostly backstab so I just use the backstab to be consistent with the rest of the house.

Now on Linktree

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Pesky light switch « Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 10:28:00 PM » Author: Bulbman256
I’m assuming they’re the standard, residential grade ones. I heard the newer residential Levitons have the option of backstab, screw-clamp, and hook-on-screw type connections (at least for the Decoras). My house is mostly backstab so I just use the backstab to be consistent with the rest of the house.

My house is all standards, i can't stand decora switchies anyway. :sick:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Pesky light switch « Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 10:30:22 PM » Author: Econolite03
If it’s standard it should be pretty straightforward.

Now on Linktree

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Pesky light switch « Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 10:31:41 PM » Author: Bulbman256
If it’s standard it should be pretty straightforward.

It is, i know all the three way switch wiring combos so i can figure it out, just need to change over to the far superior screw terminal. ;D

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Pesky light switch « Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 10:34:16 PM » Author: Econolite03
My house has all devices wired with all three wire methods.  :poof:

I prefer the screw terminal as it makes the best connection. Just make the power is totally off, so you don’t end up like me when I got shocked.

Now on Linktree

Desultory13
Re: Pesky light switch « Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 06:50:01 PM » Author: Desultory13
Hey all,

The lightswithc in my bathroom for the main door for the lights has started to flicker jsut a bit when turning it on, gonna investigate tommorow. I suspect its those pesky backstabes, if so i will rewire everything for screw terminal use. >:( :-\
What exactly do you mean that the switch has started to flicker? Can you see an arc when you turn the switch on?
My advice would be to spend just a few extra dollars for a commercial grade switch and wire it using the standard screw terminals or the pressure plate terminals.
Personally I prefer the pressure plates, I've seen way to many screw terminals that were not properly connected.
Also I try to avoid residential grade devices whenever possible.
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Pesky light switch « Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 07:16:53 PM » Author: Econolite03
Agreed. The commercial grade ones (from my experience) seem to be also easier to install, particularly with the screw-clamp terminals that come with Levitons.

Now on Linktree

Desultory13
Re: Pesky light switch « Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 07:35:40 PM » Author: Desultory13
Agreed. The commercial grade ones (from my experience) seem to be also easier to install, particularly with the screw-clamp terminals that come with Levitons.
Absolutely! The commercial grade Levitons with the pressure plates are the preferred choice of this electrician.
They can be installed extremely quickly and easily, which really matters when you have an entire building to trim out!
When wiring the residential grade devices, if you've got a crowded box full of #12 wire they'll often break apart when you try to fit them into the box.
That's one of the biggest reasons that I prefer the commercial grade devices, they won't break no matter how crowded the box is.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Pesky light switch « Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 07:49:33 PM » Author: Bulbman256
What exactly do you mean that the switch has started to flicker? Can you see an arc when you turn the switch on?
My advice would be to spend just a few extra dollars for a commercial grade switch and wire it using the standard screw terminals or the pressure plate terminals.
Personally I prefer the pressure plates, I've seen way to many screw terminals that were not properly connected.
Also I try to avoid residential grade devices whenever possible.

Whenever turning on the main three way switch occasionally the lights will flicker for just a second and then operate normally, I am think it’s loose and the vibrations are messing with it. If the switch turns up to be an issue I will get a new one in that spec. :D

Desultory13
Re: Pesky light switch « Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 08:34:43 PM » Author: Desultory13
Whenever turning on the main three way switch occasionally the lights will flicker for just a second and then operate normally, I am think it’s loose and the vibrations are messing with it. If the switch turns up to be an issue I will get a new one in that spec. :D
When you say the main 3way switch, do the lights flicker if you use the other 3way switch?
If they don't then I'd say that the main 3way is bad or there is a loose connection to it.
If the lights flicker when you use either switch, well that's a whole other problem.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Pesky light switch « Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 09:10:01 PM » Author: Bulbman256
When you say the main 3way switch, do the lights flicker if you use the other 3way switch?
If they don't then I'd say that the main 3way is bad or there is a loose connection to it.
If the lights flicker when you use either switch, well that's a whole other problem.

No, its just the main switch by the hallway bathroom door, the door to my room has one but it works fine. Te flickering only happens when the side switch is down and you flick the main one up. :P

Desultory13
Re: Pesky light switch « Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 10:25:15 PM » Author: Desultory13
No, its just the main switch by the hallway bathroom door, the door to my room has one but it works fine. Te flickering only happens when the side switch is down and you flick the main one up. :P
Hmmm sounds like the problem is with the main 3way. Couldn't hurt to check them both and certainly wouldn't be much more effort to replace them both.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies