Author Topic: LED'S For Streetlighting  (Read 11114 times)
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED'S For Streetlighting « Reply #30 on: March 07, 2009, 01:26:25 PM » Author: Medved
The (future) energy saving advantage of LED's i do not see in their efficacy (it will not improve much), but controlability (it's ON, only when needed).
And their use not on all-night busy streets (due to efficacy), but on quiet residential areas (nobody on the street => lights OFF)

No more selfballasted c***

sotonsteve

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED'S For Streetlighting « Reply #31 on: March 08, 2009, 06:52:03 AM » Author: sotonsteve
Compact fluorescent is cheaper than LED, both in terms of initial purchase costs of the lamps and gear and also running costs, plus it can be dimmed and switched on and off more regularly. I think LEDs are like wind turbines; hyped up to sound better than they actually are. LEDs, like wind turbines, have their right time and place, but applications requiring higher levels of illumination are not one of those, at present anyway. More technological development is needed. But I digress. There is an issue with switching off street lighting in quiet residential streets; it's unpopular with the general public, and proposing such a thing is political suicide.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED'S For Streetlighting « Reply #32 on: March 08, 2009, 08:21:04 AM » Author: Medved
CFL's are cheaper, but as diffuse light sources much more difficult to control, so the optics would be or large or with poor efficiency (CFL's are installed in my village as streetlights, but they throw the light everywhere but not as much onto the road - using same wattage incandescent with decent reflector would do similar job for visibility). Moreover the lifetime of CFL's is much shorter then LED's, so the luminaire needs to be designed so, the lamp is easy to replace, yielding the dust accumulation problem when aged seals are not perfect anymore.
Anyway we will see, LED's are new in streetlights and i don't believe those cities, who install them, do install the required infrastructure to really utilize advantages of LED...

form109
Re: LED'S For Streetlighting « Reply #33 on: June 10, 2009, 02:31:46 PM » Author: form109
i dont like LED For streetlighting...HID It is
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED'S For Streetlighting « Reply #34 on: June 10, 2009, 04:28:16 PM » Author: Medved
HID's (uncoated) allow good optical control, but you might not switch them ON and OFF frequently...

Parrot

View Posts
View Gallery
YouTube: Parrot175

Parrot175 parrot175
Re: LED'S For Streetlighting « Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 07:57:48 PM » Author: Parrot
I would stay with HID streetlights or go with ice-trons. I still don’t know if LEDs are good for street lighting.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies