Author Topic: Chandelier Shorted Out. What Should I Do?  (Read 1219 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Chandelier Shorted Out. What Should I Do? « on: April 29, 2020, 09:32:51 AM » Author: CEB1993
Hi all, I recently had a strange lighting mishap. The old brass chandelier at my house had a burnt out light bulb last week that lasted nearly 30 years (probably original to the house). The old bulb was a Korean made GE 40 watt candelabra bulb.

When I put the new bulb in (40 watt Sylvania double life candelabra) and flipped the switch, there was a loud pop and now none of the bulbs light. I removed the bulb I just put in and the base was completely blackened, so I threw it away.

Strange thing is that it didn’t trip the circuit breaker. I hope I didn’t ruin the whole chandelier. It won’t turn on at all, despite not having any more burnt out bulbs.  Anything I can do to get it working again? Thank you!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 09:35:09 AM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
Re: Chandelier Shorted Out. What Should I Do? « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 09:46:19 AM » Author: LampLover
Is the switch a dimmer or a electronic/smart device one by chance? If so that was probably fried by that bulb blowing up.

Also are you sure no breaker was tripped as when some of them trip they can look to be in on posotion but are actually not (some have the handle move to the center of the breaker others only move slightly) If you are certain to which breaker controls that light I would fully move it to the off position and then move it to the on position, this can sometimes take a bit of force to reset a tripped breaker. If you really like that chandelier I would have it checked out by an electrician (if you don't feel up to the task yourself) to rewire it and replace the burnt socket.

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies