Author Topic: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb  (Read 13016 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #30 on: October 27, 2019, 01:47:51 PM » Author: Rommie
Btw I do love the classic lights but not the high energy use making the electric bill go into the stratosphere. My money better spent on more useful/fun things than the electric company. :inc:
Some things are just worth the money spent on them  :inc:  8)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #31 on: October 27, 2019, 04:14:46 PM » Author: Ash
What high bills are you talking about ?

PL and T8 user here
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #32 on: October 27, 2019, 04:20:37 PM » Author: takemorepills
"High bills" in general lighting for the average residential home is a farce.

Our home was all incan BR40 cans, about 28 of them, and they are used often for general purpose lighting.

We decided to switch over to the LED can retrofit not for electrical savings, but because the BR40 cans were letting the occasional flying insect into our home (as in, wasps and house flies) and the LED retrofits seal that ceiling opening completely with a gasketed lip. The BR40 cans were wide open around the socket.

Anyways, a few months later I asked my wife if she noticed a benefit to our electric bills. Mind you, my wife is hawkish about our bills and notices everything. She said converting to LED made no difference to our bill that she could tell.

We still use lots of incan in our home. I only buy LED when forced to or it is interesting (like the SWITCH brand LEDs)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #33 on: October 27, 2019, 04:56:41 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
We've found an incandescent lamp with a colour temperature of 2800K, that we're happy with.  :)  :inc:

As to the saving money it's not that much more really, working out at just over £18 per year.

I dint even hate LED but I still prefer the old stuff. Right now I have a 100 watt Clear mercury running in the hallway and 35 watt HPS in my room. My house will always be a discharge house. Semiconductor is a secondary thing. I don't really care about energy savings.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #34 on: October 27, 2019, 06:29:08 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I dint even hate LED but I still prefer the old stuff. Right now I have a 100 watt Clear mercury running in the hallway and 35 watt HPS in my room. My house will always be a discharge house. Semiconductor is a secondary thing. I don't really care about energy savings.
Wait until it's you paying the bills...  :D

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #35 on: October 27, 2019, 09:22:51 PM » Author: FGS
"High bills" in general lighting for the average residential home is a farce.

Our home was all incan BR40 cans, about 28 of them, and they are used often for general purpose lighting.

We decided to switch over to the LED can retrofit not for electrical savings, but because the BR40 cans were letting the occasional flying insect into our home (as in, wasps and house flies) and the LED retrofits seal that ceiling opening completely with a gasketed lip. The BR40 cans were wide open around the socket.

Anyways, a few months later I asked my wife if she noticed a benefit to our electric bills. Mind you, my wife is hawkish about our bills and notices everything. She said converting to LED made no difference to our bill that she could tell.

We still use lots of incan in our home. I only buy LED when forced to or it is interesting (like the SWITCH brand LEDs)

House flies wouldn’t bother me much. A challenge of hunting them down with the fly swatter. Like sneak up on them to kill before they fly away. Wasps... don’t get me started how much I despise the yellow things. They sting you just for the giggles of it. ::)

The only wasp I let crawl on my hand are those cicada killers. Huge critters and scary as wasps goes but rather docile. They don’t sting unless stepped on or manhandled. I let them climb on my hand since they got into the house and I had to get them outside.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #36 on: October 27, 2019, 10:39:53 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Wait until it's you paying the bills...  :D

I am paying the bills.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #37 on: October 27, 2019, 11:37:54 PM » Author: Lumex120
Once I get my own place I'm planning on investing in a large off grid solar/wind power setup so I hopefully won't have to worry about energy bills.

Unofficial LG Discord

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #38 on: December 21, 2020, 04:55:13 PM » Author: Binarix128
Wifi is completely unnecessary for changing the color, there are IR controlled lights that you can customize the rgb values without the need of extra BS.

I'm happy with my IR controlled RGB bulb, I don't need more automatization. As simple as pointing the remote control.  :D

BTW electricity companies here or more like in all over the world has raised the electricity cost due to LED lights, so there's no money loss and they can make extra more of the ones who haven't updated yet. We only use incandescent bulbs at three rooms and the bill is quite high.  >:(
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #39 on: December 21, 2020, 04:56:57 PM » Author: takemorepills
I prefer RF over IR for remote control of LED lighting.

RF doesn't suffer from line-of-sight issues
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #40 on: December 23, 2020, 12:05:08 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
After much thinking, opinion change:

I think they're stupid.

I'd much rather have an analog controlled radio bulb with dials that I can manually mix the colors with and not have to configure and waste bandwidth on wifi or Bluetooth for something that should be simple with minimal parts. Not to mention the possible privacy concerns.

I also hate things like Amazon Alexa and Google assistant. I will not allow them into my house. I'd like to eliminate them off my phone too.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 12:10:07 AM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #41 on: December 23, 2020, 02:06:32 AM » Author: joseph_125
I have a single wifi connected smart bulb and I pretty much only use the timer features on it. The RGB is nice for when you want to simulate light sources like MV and HPS without swapping lamps and ballasts. The IR ones are ok, but suffer from line of sight issues and you do get more precise with a phone app. Ideally I want a smart lamp that operated off it's only controller so you don't need a phone to turn them on/off.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #42 on: December 23, 2020, 07:41:47 AM » Author: Rommie
I don't want to simulate MV or HPS etc., I'd rather have the real thing  :a_sox: :mv: :hps:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #43 on: December 23, 2020, 04:28:27 PM » Author: Ash
I'd much rather have an analog controlled radio bulb with dials that I can manually mix the colors with and not have to configure and waste bandwidth on wifi or Bluetooth for something that should be simple with minimal parts. Not to mention the possible privacy concerns.

If you are about wasting bandwidth, consider this :

The messages submitted for the lamp are tiny (3 bytes = 16.7 million colors). Packed in a packet that is transferrable over BT or Wifi would be bigger but still in the kB range at most, and it's one off (on each manual color change), not something that uses the bandwidth constantly. The connection is managed by a BT host or by your wifi router

Using an analog circuit would mean unmanaged transmission on each button press. There is no defined management protocol for that, so you are open for interference with other "smart" lamps or any other appliance that you would choose to build the same way (if a lamp can be controlled by analog RF signal, why not toaster etc). This may become a problem if more "smart" appliances would exist around, and more of them would have the "analog signal" implementation

Also for the manufacturer, it may be more economical to slap in an off the shelf BT or wifi "solution" than build anything analog, especially if the latter might require some individual tuning foreach manufactured unit

I also hate things like Amazon Alexa and Google assistant. I will not allow them into my house. I'd like to eliminate them off my phone too.
Those are not inherent essential part of the technology. You can have a self sufficient and self contained network controlling appliances, without any data exchange with anyone like Google or Amazon. The fact that "smart" appliances actually available on the market are usually tied to those companies is a problem in its own right, way outside of just the area of lighting

I agree with you that i would not permit "open mics" in areas that belong to me

I prefer RF over IR for remote control of LED lighting.

RF doesn't suffer from line-of-sight issues

Being a lamp of all things, you dont actually need it when you dont have a line of sight to it, do you ? (With some exceptional use cases, i can think of a few that relate to security, but they are quite few). The line of sight actually helps the management problem, as it limits the scope of "unwanted" appliances that will also get the signal

I would expect that a strong enough IR transmitter will overcome indirect lighting paths in the cases where needed (where the lamp is behind the corner, or in an enclosed luminaire, etc)
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Wifi Connected Smart Bulb « Reply #44 on: December 23, 2020, 06:49:20 PM » Author: takemorepills

Being a lamp of all things, you dont actually need it when you dont have a line of sight to it, do you ? (With some exceptional use cases, i can think of a few that relate to security, but they are quite few). The line of sight actually helps the management problem, as it limits the scope of "unwanted" appliances that will also get the signal

I would expect that a strong enough IR transmitter will overcome indirect lighting paths in the cases where needed (where the lamp is behind the corner, or in an enclosed luminaire, etc)

All of my LED lights have obscured line-of-sight.
I have R30 track floods with LED facing a near wall.
I have PAR38 LEDs outside, obviously facing off into space. The IR receiver of "reflector" style LEDs are in the face of the "bulb", therefore I'd never be able to get IR commands to them.
I also have LEDs behind shades. RF works perfect for them. Either simple RF or WiFi.

I have never bought IR controlled LEDs and never will.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies