Author Topic: Is it true that 18w SOX lamps can run off a F18T8 ballast and starter?  (Read 1386 times)
Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Is it true that 18w SOX lamps can run off a F18T8 ballast and starter? « Reply #15 on: February 25, 2024, 03:01:21 PM » Author: Richmond2000
ouch is right
he is fine but is traumatized by electricity now

edited to fix a type
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 05:14:40 PM by Richmond2000 » Logged
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it true that 18w SOX lamps can run off a F18T8 ballast and starter? « Reply #16 on: February 25, 2024, 03:08:35 PM » Author: Laurens
Even at home, lock out - tag out procedures are really valuable. In my case it's as simple as taking the key to the closet in which our fuse panel is situated with me. Switch off the circuit, don't trust on a light switch that anyone can just flip.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Is it true that 18w SOX lamps can run off a F18T8 ballast and starter? « Reply #17 on: February 25, 2024, 03:25:34 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Hey, I was doing the work when my flat mate was away, I did not expect them to come home a day early and put the power back on.!  :o :poof:
I thought that a locked front door would be enough.!! :sadbulb:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is it true that 18w SOX lamps can run off a F18T8 ballast and starter? « Reply #18 on: February 25, 2024, 09:13:53 PM » Author: joseph_125
Ouch, but this really shows up lock out/tag out procedures are required in the workplace. For switches, you can get lock out kits that attach over the switch and includes a provision to lock the switch on or off.

Anyway regarding alternate ballasts for 18w SOX lamps, I've tried both a 230v 18w fluorescent choke with a fluorescent starter in parallel with the lamp and a Fullham WH-3 with both leads used. I don't use these setups too much now though as I have a 18w SOX light with a proper ballast now.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Is it true that 18w SOX lamps can run off a F18T8 ballast and starter? « Reply #19 on: February 26, 2024, 07:10:48 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Ouch is right, but we learn from our mistakes.!
We do have a couple of lock out kits now.

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Is it true that 18w SOX lamps can run off a F18T8 ballast and starter? « Reply #20 on: February 26, 2024, 01:34:11 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Before attempting my 277V preheat choke ballast experiment with my 18W SOX low pressure sodium lamps, here is what I ended up getting when I tried attempting to ignite my 18W SOX low pressure sodium lamps off of 120V preheat choke ballasts:

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=5&pid=189801

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=8&pid=189997

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=6272&pos=266&pid=190184

This is what it looked like to operate a pair of 18W SOX low pressure sodium lamps in series off of a F40T12 preheat ballast using an imported European SOX low pressure sodium ignitor:

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=10&pid=189813

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it true that 18w SOX lamps can run off a F18T8 ballast and starter? « Reply #21 on: February 27, 2024, 05:21:29 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Interesting experiments

After reading about the lockout, I remembered that my panel actually has a lockout feature built in. (Not sure if this is a standard feature or not here)

When the main breaker is turned off, there is a bracket with a hole that's freed up for a padlock to go and physically block the switch from being turned on.

Administrator #5

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Is it true that 18w SOX lamps can run off a F18T8 ballast and starter? « Reply #22 on: February 28, 2024, 04:13:45 AM » Author: Richmond2000
my main panel is the same way the main fead can be padlocked when in the OFF position
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Is it true that 18w SOX lamps can run off a F18T8 ballast and starter? « Reply #23 on: February 28, 2024, 07:51:12 AM » Author: Rommie
Here, we have lockoff kits that can be used to ensure a breaker doesn't get switched back on.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: Is it true that 18w SOX lamps can run off a F18T8 ballast and starter? « Reply #24 on: February 28, 2024, 12:47:03 PM » Author: Richmond2000
never seen a UK distribution panel but the new ones in Canada there is a LOCKOUT provision on the BAIN in feed but the individual branch circuits there is NO provision to lock them out
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Is it true that 18w SOX lamps can run off a F18T8 ballast and starter? « Reply #25 on: February 28, 2024, 05:48:25 PM » Author: Rommie
Here's ours:

And here is a typical lockoff kit:

The locks can be applied to any individual breaker as well as the main switch. Very useful, don't work on anything without one.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is it true that 18w SOX lamps can run off a F18T8 ballast and starter? « Reply #26 on: February 28, 2024, 06:49:15 PM » Author: joseph_125
Most breaker panels have a lock out provision on the main breaker. The same thing for most fused disconnects.

For other stuff you can buy lockout kits with attachments that work for branch circuit breakers, light switches, plugs and receptacles. Most lock out kits also have the multi user lockout device (the thing with 6 holes in Rommie's picture) that lets a team of people working on the same circuit each lock out the circuit, so that only when everyone removed their own lock out can the circuit be re energized.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Is it true that 18w SOX lamps can run off a F18T8 ballast and starter? « Reply #27 on: February 28, 2024, 07:13:40 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Trust me, I have learned my lesson   :short::poof:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Is it true that 18w SOX lamps can run off a F18T8 ballast and starter? « Reply #28 on: February 29, 2024, 12:26:58 AM » Author: 108CAM
It would be nice to get back on the topic of running 18w SOX lamps with F18T8 ballasts.
I really want to start on my projects but without any definitive answer as to weather it will work, I'm stuck, especially with the starter part because another person said it reduced the life of the electrode coils because of sputtering.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Is it true that 18w SOX lamps can run off a F18T8 ballast and starter? « Reply #29 on: February 29, 2024, 07:22:22 AM » Author: Rommie
Sorry about the derailment  :rr:

In the absence of a definitive answer, I think you'll just have to suck it and see. You're unlikely to blow up the lamp instantaneously, and if it strikes you can measure the lamp voltage and current. It's what I'd do, anyway.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies