Author Topic: I might be going away.  (Read 1008 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
I might be going away. « on: July 02, 2023, 04:42:33 PM » Author: HIDLad001
I have lately been thinking about leaving Lighting-Gallery, possibly for good.
I am feeling like this because diverse photos (posted by me and others) with a clear description and technical details aren't getting as much praise and exposure as I thought they would, and that they are getting drowned out by other photos which have been posted on this site plenty of other times. I also want to spend more time working on my lighting related YouTube channel, because stuff gets more exposure there than it does here. I also feel that certain people are rude to me (but I have a hard time telling) when I politely ask a question.

I have to thank some of the admins for helping me get back into here, but it might be time for me to leave this all behind.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 04:47:24 PM by HIDLad001 » Logged

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: I might be going away. « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 05:29:56 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Yeah, whenever I upload pictures of an obscure or rare outdoor luminaire, it doesn't really seem to get much attention.

You've uploaded some interesting stuff, too, like the AEL Series ATBMic and the Spaulding Lighting fixtures.

I hope I haven't caused you any trouble, and if I have, I'm truly sorry. I hate seeing people in situations like you're in.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I might be going away. « Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 06:12:35 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Don't worry, you haven't caused me any trouble for me.
I don't recall uploading any pictures of an AEL ATBM though.

Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: I might be going away. « Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 07:15:52 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
I meant the ATB Micro, or, as the spec sheet says, ATBMic.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I might be going away. « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 05:29:35 AM » Author: Rommie
Sorry to hear you feel this way. It may be difficult, but try not to take it to heart when your uploads don't get many comments, it's just how things go on a large site like this. I'll tell you one thing; every single member who has photos on the gallery has some with no comments. It happens, we have thousands of photos from hundreds of members, and people comment on what interests them. You won't find many comments from me on American street lights, for example, as they simply don't interest me. My interests are lamps; incandescents, discharge, pretty much anything except LED..! So that's where my comments tend to go.

With my admin hat on, let me say one other thing. If anyone is causing problems for you, if it's something that breaks the site rules, we can help. Let me or one of the team know, we can't do anything unless we're aware of the problem.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I might be going away. « Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 01:48:34 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
  I myself have uploaded TONS of photos of what I consider to be either rare or very interesting lamps , fixtures ,etc. that got little or no views . Unfortunately , weather or not I or anyone else likes it , it happens ! This site goes though stages like that for some reason . There are photos here that were posted for YEARS before they ever got the attention they deserve . 

Personally , I don't feel the lack of comments to be anything bad directed directly at you or your photos but just a pointer of which way the site happens to be leaning towards at this moment .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: I might be going away. « Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 04:23:03 PM » Author: Silverliner
Low self esteem? Caring too much what others think?

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

I will be staying! « Reply #7 on: July 03, 2023, 06:07:22 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Thank you to everyone who has replied. I thought I was the only person feeling the way that I did, but everyone has helped me realize that I am not alone here.
I will hopefully be uploading pictures of some of my lamp collection soon, and will hopefully be staying for years to come. But it is true that I haven't done much on my YouTube channel lately, so I will be working on that as well!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I might be going away. « Reply #8 on: July 03, 2023, 06:36:48 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 As Silverliner said , don't worry about what other's think ! I've been here for a bit over 5 years and I've seen members come and go and I've seen popular items come and go . It's not worth getting yourself wound up over .
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 06:16:50 PM by wide-lite 1000 » Logged

Richmond2000

View Posts
View Gallery

120V 60HZ

Re: I might be going away. « Reply #9 on: July 10, 2023, 01:47:50 AM » Author: Richmond2000
as a NEW user on LG and one for a long time liked street lights and how they look
a lot of my pics are "amateur" and not the best knowledge of luminaire brands / models
I have found a FEW people regularly point out the fixtures to me and am thankful for them
also I know that what I LIKE is not what *you* like to look at and have to accept pics sitting unlooked at or commented on
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: I might be going away. « Reply #10 on: July 14, 2023, 09:26:09 PM » Author: 108CAM
Sometimes we just need a break.
I'm only just starting to come back to LG after my second long term break from the site. These breaks have really helped me with my mental health and during the time away from LG, some of my older photos got their first comments.

Try to not take things personally, it usually makes things worse than what they already are.
Also, you can always message the admins if you feel concerned about something on the site. I've had times where I've felt the need to message the admins and they've always been there to help.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I might be going away. « Reply #11 on: July 14, 2023, 10:15:28 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Just thought of something . The very first photo uploaded to LG took a whopping 10 years to get it's first comment !!

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: I might be going away. « Reply #12 on: July 15, 2023, 09:10:59 PM » Author: BT25
This site is always in flux...there are times with of lots of interesting posts, pictures, and comments...and then there are times when it's slow and it seems no one comments or posts anything interesting. I've posted photos that no one has ever commented on...such is life on LG.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: I might be going away. « Reply #13 on: July 16, 2023, 08:51:57 PM » Author: 589
This site is great for documenting lighting for posterity and one of the biggest independent collections of excellent lighting related photography by users anywhere not beholden to any corporate shenanigans. Sometimes it takes years for someone to stumble upon something that's been posted. Rest assured, if your gallery is well documented someone will find something you have eventually and be a blessing to them. It's a long game and I came here after seeing internet searches turn up photo results from this site, some years old. I like the tradeoff of having a smaller more personal community vs the quantity of the others.

:lps:

mefurd98

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I might be going away. « Reply #14 on: July 20, 2023, 06:22:41 PM » Author: mefurd98
Don’t get discouraged…it might just take some time for people to stumble on the pictures. A lot of the posts I come across I first see on Google images just looking around and it turns out it’s a post that was published a number of years ago.  :mv: :mv: :mv:
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies