Author Topic: Automotive Reverse Lights  (Read 658 times)
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Automotive Reverse Lights « on: April 29, 2024, 06:09:46 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Is it just me or are most reverse lights borderline useless ?   Out of all of the cars I currently own maybe 2 have reverse lights that actually light the area behind the vehicle ! I'm not saying that reverse lights need to be headlight bright but they should be brighter than the brake lights and should fully light the area behind the vehicle when backing .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Automotive Reverse Lights « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 06:29:09 PM » Author: Rommie
I don't really think they're meant to be reversing headlights, I think they're just meant to indicate to people behind that you're heading in their direction..!

What I don't understand is the fact that rear foglamps aren't required in the US (not sure about Canada). They're mandatory here and the original owner of my car had to have one fitted.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Automotive Reverse Lights « Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 06:43:33 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 They don't need to be that bright , just bright enough to see where you're going when reversing as well as being seen by other people and vehicles .

As for the rear fogs , some cars here DO have them (usually models that are available both here and in Europe) I don't know why they're not required here (fog lights aren't actually required here either) Usually , what ever laws or design specs arise over there eventually find their way here  such as composite headlights , halogen lighting , stability control , etc.

When the aerodynamic , composite headlights arrived here in the mid 80's they were often referred to as Euro style headlights .

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Automotive Reverse Lights « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 08:38:02 PM » Author: Cole D.
What I don’t like is how a lot of newer cars turn on the reverse lights as part of the illuminated entry system when you unlock the doors.

As a pedestrian, when I see reverse lights on, I stop because I think they’re going to back into me! Only for me to realize their engine isn’t even running!

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Automotive Reverse Lights « Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 07:04:41 AM » Author: Rommie
Yeah that annoys me as well, my car does it and of course the reverse parking sensors activate as well, so when you're loading shopping in the back it's bleeping at you all the time..!  >:(

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Automotive Reverse Lights « Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 05:33:48 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Truth be told my car is angled up towards the rear windshield, seeing out there is bad and I don't have a backup camera. The reverse lights are thus mostly useless for me. Fortunately my year of back in parking at my high school has made me a master of using my mirrors and doing the old prop your arm behind the passenger seat and looking back trick. 8)

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Automotive Reverse Lights « Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 09:37:39 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 AH , General Motors and their wonderful battery killer ideas!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Automotive Reverse Lights « Reply #7 on: May 01, 2024, 03:28:53 AM » Author: Medved
What I don't understand is the fact that rear foglamps aren't required in the US (not sure about Canada). They're mandatory here and the original owner of my car had to have one fitted.

To be honest, I do not see that much use for them. Yes, they may help to make the car visible for a bit longer distance, but already with regular tail light that is already far beyond the general visibility in a given fog, so it only makes "drivers" to feel like they can see further than they really can see and consequently drive insanely fast for the condition, smashing into something that does not have lights, like pedestrians and so on.
And where they are really counterproductive is at dark: There they just create a red wall blocking any remaining bits of visibility ahead of the car in front of you that has them on.

But what I do see as a problem is, the "daylight running lights" do not turn the tail lights with them. Consequence is, many drivers forget to turn the main headlights on (mainly in brightly lit cities, or generally because even just the DRL are providing quite sufficient front illumination for slower speeds) and so many cars then drive at night without any tail lights on.
And along the fact that headlights do not have any signal light on the dash whatsoever, it is becoming a problem in the rain - mainly with automatic headlights you have no idea if the main headlights did turn ON or did not. If the tail lights were on also with the DRL, neither of these problems would be problem at all, as if the visibility is good for the driver (that is for his personal judgement and exact conditions), for others it does not matter at all, whether the car has main headlights, or just DRL on at the front... And it would not require anything more complex nor sophisticated in the car automation...
The argument "It is to save power/gas/CO2 emission" is really a BS, with the tail lights consuming barely 2..3W with the LEDs (or even the 10..20W with older incandescents makes no difference at all)

No more selfballasted c***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Automotive Reverse Lights « Reply #8 on: May 01, 2024, 03:33:18 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Reversing vehicle’s here are beginning to annoy me!  :lol:, first of all it started with commercial trucks with a reverse bleeper, fine, then the new ones sounded like a seagull being repeatedly stood on!, “haaark-haaark-haaark”! 🤣🤣🤣, now the new thing, (also being fitted to every delivery van it seems today), is some irritating posh British bloke, accompanied by a loud beep!, “BEEEEEP, Stand well clear, vehicle reversing……….BEEEEEP, Stand well clear, vehicle reversing….”!, I hate that!  ::)

Some guy at work has it on his van, and I’m sure he puts it in reverse, then sits there on his phone just to annoy people before he get out of the space!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Automotive Reverse Lights « Reply #9 on: May 01, 2024, 04:49:04 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 The new "seagull" reverse alarms are referred as "white noise" alarms . They're supposed to be more easily identified than the old "BEEP , BEEP , BEEP" which some people tend to just drown out and ignore . I found a video of the talking version on YouTube...I'd be looking for a hammer !!!!

@ MedVed : I actually agree with you about both the rear fog lights and the DRLs . I've found them a bit blinding on some cars depending on where the factory installed them . Some cars have them low in the bumper while some have them in with the taillight cluster. The low ones aren't near as bad . As for the DRLs , it couldn't cost much extra to install a light sensor with some form of warning light in the dash or just make automatic lamps standard equipment ! My 2003 Mercury has automatic lights which also turn on whenever you activate the wipers . Lights on when the wipers are on is actually a law in some states here .

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Automotive Reverse Lights « Reply #10 on: May 02, 2024, 01:35:34 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Very interesting information!, I’ve always associated white noise with a sound that can cancel other sounds?, which makes total sense for a reverse alarm.

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Automotive Reverse Lights « Reply #11 on: May 02, 2024, 01:57:17 AM » Author: Medved
The beeping was nonsense measure from the start, once you have more than one piece of equipment with it, or moving more often than once a day and when you can not immediately stop what you are doing and looking for it, it gets completely nonfunctional (just because you can not locate the beeping source by hearing only), it just remain super annoying and so caused loss of focus of all people around (so making the safety level actually worse on the site).
Shameful is, this limitation had to be known from the getgo (effects of similar sounds were studied way before WW2), yet still regulators pushed it through as a claimed "safety measure". It just allowed the "We did our part, we can not be responsible for people not paying attention" excuses...

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Automotive Reverse Lights « Reply #12 on: May 02, 2024, 07:02:45 AM » Author: Rommie
Heh. The worst one we've heard was on a Greggs delivery van. It was in a queue of traffic for a T junction and signalling to turn left. Along with the flashing indicators was a stentorian voice announcing at 10 second intervals - 

"WARNING..! This Greggs vehicle is turning left..! WARNING..! This Greggs vehicle is turning left..! WARNING..! This Greggs vehicle is turning left..!"

AAAAARRRGGGHHHHH..!!!!!  :curse: :curse: :curse:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Automotive Reverse Lights « Reply #13 on: May 02, 2024, 07:20:04 AM » Author: AngryHorse
 :lol:  :lol:, what happened also to the rising and falling quick beep they use to have on bin wagons?

Welcome to OBLIVION

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Automotive Reverse Lights « Reply #14 on: May 02, 2024, 07:21:42 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ Rommie: i AIN'T 'AVING IT.!! WHERE'S ME 'AMMER.?! :mrg:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies