Author Topic: Movie-tone bulbs  (Read 1426 times)
Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Movie-tone bulbs « on: July 09, 2014, 11:27:27 AM » Author: Larry
I think these are a modern bulb, but never seen these type of bulbs before. :D

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:15:06 PM by Larry » Logged

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's GE Power Groove

jrmcferren

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Movie-tone bulbs « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 07:52:17 PM » Author: jrmcferren
From what I can gather these lamps are used in the production of movies as the color temperatures match the two different color temperatures used in the film industry. Motion picture color film is balanced to either 3200K tungsten lamps or 5500K for natural daylight with the ability to switch between the two as needed (with film speed loss) with filters.

In order to match the fluorescent lamps properly to the film they need to also be balanced to whatever film (or film/filter combination) is being used so the lights show up as white on film. Standard halophosphor fluorescent lamps for example will show up with a green hue on film which is completely unacceptable.

Even in the rare case that black and white reversal film is being used the 5500K lamps may have an advantage as Kodak's Tri-X 200 Reversal motion picture film is a bit more sensitive to light balanced in the 5500K range.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Movie-tone bulbs « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 05:59:22 AM » Author: Silverliner
I have some Movie-Tone 3200K lamps, and I wish i could find 5500K ones lol.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies