Author Topic: VHO and HO Fluorescents, their physical differences from Standard Output.  (Read 2746 times)
MikeT1982

View Posts
View Gallery

VHO and HO Fluorescents, their physical differences from Standard Output. « on: February 25, 2012, 04:28:36 AM » Author: MikeT1982
Hello!  I have always been curious to this.  Back in the saltwater reef keeping world, I would see shops running VHO Flourescent tubes, which flickered often and were very hot but did not appear drastically brighter to me...yet were 110watt vs 40 watt for the 48"  T12's!  I only could afford a home built 4 bulb 40 watt NO t12 hood myself.  I understand that the current flow in these VHO is greater, is this correct?  What physical traits of the lamp (glass, electrodes, gas fill, phosphors) differ between NO, HO, and VHO? And lastly, I remember later on in my years of saltwater, "power compacts" came along as replacements for metal halide.  They were U or H shaped single pin tubes rated 96 watts and 32" long with a plug at one end....what category do these fall into, they were intense!!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:32:06 AM by MikeT1982 » Logged
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: VHO and HO Fluorescents, their physical differences from Standard Output. « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 06:05:07 AM » Author: dor123
The HO and the VHO fluorescents have higher current per unit length, and this is the reason why they are brighter than standard output lamps.
The T12 HO have argon gas like the regular T12. However the Philips F96T12 HO ALTO aren't brighter than a standard output T12.
GE Powergroove are T17 VHO lamps and also have argon buffer gas like the T12 HO, but ithey are of the non-circular cross-section design.
The T12 VHO have argon-neon penning mixture as a buffer gas.
All three lamps have electrodes that contains anode wires or plates. In the T12 VHO, this is very necessary, as the neon is particularly destructive toward lamp electrodes, and in all cases, the anode wires/plates takes some of the load away from the electrodes.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

MikeT1982

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: VHO and HO Fluorescents, their physical differences from Standard Output. « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 05:44:56 PM » Author: MikeT1982
Thanks a ton for the info! 
LowPressureSodiumSOX
Re: VHO and HO Fluorescents, their physical differences from Standard Output. « Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:43:54 PM » Author: LowPressureSodiumSOX
How about T5HO tubes?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: VHO and HO Fluorescents, their physical differences from Standard Output. « Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 06:18:21 AM » Author: dor123
T5 HO have the same electrodes as the T5 HE, but the long electrode that forms the cold spot in the lamp, is i think longer in a T5 HO than in a T5 HE.
No anode wires or plates are in use in the T5 HO.
In both HE and HO T5s, the shorter electrode have a fence ahead of it, to aid the mercury to condense at the side of the longer electrode.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: VHO and HO Fluorescents, their physical differences from Standard Output. « Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 03:15:04 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I have some 4' T12 VHO's (both aquarium & normal type) and can say they are significantly brighter than NO (maybe I should do a pic sometime)
The VHO's also weigh more than a NO lamp (thicker glass)

Lamp current is as follows:
VHO = 1500ma
HO = 800ma
NO = 425ma

--------
Some HO T5's have the thing with one long/one short electrode as dor123 mentions, others have both the same.
I don't know the current of HO vs NO for T5 as I've never seen it posted anywhere.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: VHO and HO Fluorescents, their physical differences from Standard Output. « Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 03:43:25 PM » Author: dor123
Some HO T5's have the thing with one long/one short electrode as dor123 mentions, others have both the same.
I don't know the current of HO vs NO for T5 as I've never seen it posted anywhere.
xmaslightguy: the T5 HO and HE that have electrodes of the same lengths as the T8 and the regular T12, are the cheapee chinese ones, that their electrodes are built exactly like the short T5s.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: VHO and HO Fluorescents, their physical differences from Standard Output. « Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 04:00:49 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
^ maybe thats what it is..
Looking at the T5 HO's that I've got - the china made ones do have both electrodes the same, the Germany made ones have one long/one short...

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies