Author Topic: Any UK members ever heard of their place names being mispronounced by Americans?  (Read 726 times)
CoolBeans

View Posts
View Gallery

Say no to generic EXIT signs

UCgS0pNTqygf9BJruCGNd_yA
Re: Any UK members ever heard of their place names being mispronounced by Americans? « Reply #15 on: May 08, 2024, 12:10:50 AM » Author: CoolBeans
There are towns in Illinois which totally butcher the name of their overseas counterparts, Cairo Illinois is one of those towns. One word I refuse to mispronounce by emphasizing the letter L is solder. There is a youtuber gaining in popularity that sells a sticker of a fish wearing a top hat and jacket while holding a soldering iron and it says "Colonel Lincoln the Soldering Salmon".
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Any UK members ever heard of their place names being mispronounced by Americans? « Reply #16 on: May 08, 2024, 07:44:33 AM » Author: rjluna2
Oh, yeah.  I remember reading a book of Abraham Lincoln misspelling the word soldier somewhere.

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any UK members ever heard of their place names being mispronounced by Americans? « Reply #17 on: May 08, 2024, 12:11:29 PM » Author: Rommie
One word I refuse to mispronounce by emphasizing the letter L is solder. There is a youtuber gaining in popularity that sells a sticker of a fish wearing a top hat and jacket while holding a soldering iron and it says "Colonel Lincoln the Soldering Salmon".
Sorry, the word solder has to have the L pronounced, otherwise you're saying 'sodder' which always sounds to me like 'sod her' and makes me think what poor woman are they having a rant about..?  :lol:

Here in the UK it's pronounced 'Soul-der' and woe betide any bloke who says 'sod her' to my face  :P >:( :mrg:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 07:49:51 AM by Rommie » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Any UK members ever heard of their place names being mispronounced by Americans? « Reply #18 on: May 11, 2024, 03:12:22 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
You guys pronounce "aluminum" as "al-oo-min-eeyum." Since when was there another "i?" The periodic table doesn't say so. ???

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any UK members ever heard of their place names being mispronounced by Americans? « Reply #19 on: May 11, 2024, 07:48:28 AM » Author: Rommie
It's spelt with an extra 'i' in this one. Also see here.

Admit it, you lot on that side of the pond can't spell  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Any UK members ever heard of their place names being mispronounced by Americans? « Reply #20 on: May 13, 2024, 12:11:27 AM » Author: Maxim
My name gets butchered all of the time and I live in the States!

It's pronounced 'Max-eem' whilst most people see the 'i' and immediately assume it pronounces as 'um', so in essence I am always called 'Max-um' instead of the "proper" way. I guess this is in part due to the natural spelling / pronunciation of Maxim in the Russian language being 'Максим', the second-to-last letter being an 'e'. Anyways.... :mrg:

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Any UK members ever heard of their place names being mispronounced by Americans? « Reply #21 on: May 13, 2024, 03:19:53 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I'm guilty of doing that to your name, but now I know the correct way to pronounce it.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Any UK members ever heard of their place names being mispronounced by Americans? « Reply #22 on: May 13, 2024, 04:15:43 PM » Author: Maxim
Sammi, you're fine! Pronunciation is different in the UK. ;D

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Any UK members ever heard of their place names being mispronounced by Americans? « Reply #23 on: Today at 01:06:22 AM » Author: AngryHorse
This is an interesting one?, in Cheshire we’d pronounce this as it’s written ‘max-im’ !  ;), good that you have cleared up the proper pronunciation though.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies