Author Topic: What kind of cell phone do you use?  (Read 81816 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #135 on: September 03, 2017, 10:44:11 AM » Author: Rommie
Ah cool you run Linux? What type? I'm experimenting with my old HP desktop. ;D ;)

Here, it's Fedora, currently v25 although considering upgrading to 26.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #136 on: September 03, 2017, 05:32:59 PM » Author: Ash
Gentoo Linux over here

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #137 on: September 03, 2017, 11:43:48 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I run Sparky Linux (Debian)

https://sparkylinux.org

I also have ubuntu on dual boot just incase i screw up something with my main OS so far i have not really used it.

and on another partition i have Puppylinux which is i think based on slackware.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 11:46:29 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #138 on: September 04, 2017, 08:55:51 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
Thanks for the ideas everyone, I know what to do with my old HP desktop now to give it a new lease of life. ;D
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #139 on: September 05, 2017, 01:40:36 AM » Author: Lodge
Thanks for the ideas everyone, I know what to do with my old HP desktop now to give it a new lease of life. ;D

Even a laptop with a 233MHz will run Linux and it'll seem like a new computer, Linux isn't bloated like windows...
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #140 on: September 05, 2017, 03:18:36 AM » Author: Ash
You could, but not use any of the biggest desktops, and web browsing would be limited as some websites are bloated on JS and at the same time require JS to function

Linux becomes capable of running the latest and greatest stuff well on something like a Pentium 4 (of which i have loads too, as i collect PCs also) with ~2G RAM
Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #141 on: September 05, 2017, 08:40:41 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
I think the desktop would run Linux very well since it's from 2009-10 and has a Core 2 Duo CPU and 6GB RAM (originally 2GB) as well as a 1TB hard disk (Used to be 250GB).
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #142 on: September 05, 2017, 09:48:42 PM » Author: Lodge
I think the desktop would run Linux very well since it's from 2009-10 and has a Core 2 Duo CPU and 6GB RAM (originally 2GB) as well as a 1TB hard disk (Used to be 250GB).

I have it running on an old I wanna say 1989 or 1999 Dell CPi (originally it had Windows 95 on it then NT) it's a 266 MHz Pentium II running older GM diagnostic software for the cars with an ALDL or ODB I plug (pre 1995 stuff) because the older adapter I built doesn't work right on the USB to RS-232 interface in a new laptop but the old RS-232 ports don't have any issues as you can adjust the timing to non-standard rates, yes GM used non-standard data rates and timings they did this so you have to buy there handheld scanner, that and a Dell CPi laptop is worth less then the usb to 232 adapter, really the laptop was a quarter the cost ($5 vs $20) So you should have no problem at all with your unit, I just wish the laptop had a TFT screen and not an active matrix screen..

And then when you have it running and put new life into an old computer you'll do interesting things with them and like my laptop I'm not to worried if something happens to it in garage like I would be with my new laptop it's just another tool to use dirty fingers who cares it's just a tool and you can wipe it clean with the shop rag and it's good to go, your not watching netflicks on it in the house where you need it to be clean and if someone swipes it will they be in for suprise when they fire it and find out what it won't so for them like go on the internet or play video games, most people just look at it and there eyes roll and they walk away, ya I leave it on the roof while I'm working on the car it hasn't gone missing yet.. 
Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #143 on: September 06, 2017, 09:04:02 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
I'm happy to move away from Windows for certain things since I want a change and don't want to support Apple. I've never owned an Apple product and never will. As for phones I recently upgraded to a Galaxy S7.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #144 on: September 07, 2017, 11:00:38 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I have an old LG smartphone that's starting to fall apart..

--------------
Quote from: HomeBrewLamps
I also have ubuntu on dual boot just incase i screw up something with my main OS so far i have not really used it.
and on another partition i have Puppylinux which is i think based on slackware.
I have a Ubuntu setup as well
I had Slackware (if I remember right) a good number of years ago on an old 486.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #145 on: September 08, 2017, 04:10:05 AM » Author: Ash
And then when you have it running and put new life into an old computer you'll do interesting things with them and like my laptop I'm not to worried if something happens to it in garage like I would be with my new laptop it's just another tool to use dirty fingers who cares it's just a tool and you can wipe it clean with the shop rag and it's good to go, your not watching netflicks on it in the house where you need it to be clean and if someone swipes it will they be in for suprise when they fire it and find out what it won't so for them like go on the internet or play video games, most people just look at it and there eyes roll and they walk away, ya I leave it on the roof while I'm working on the car it hasn't gone missing yet.. 
I have a few Thinkpads in the ~T40..T61 / X31..X61 series that i picked from trash at my workplace. Repaired them with parts from each other and some from Ebay, and they are my main use laptops

Being the proper old Thinkpads they are hands down the best laptops ever

Being old nobody really cares about them, so i dont have to worry about them being stolen or so

I am long time in Gentoo, for the last 13 years or so. Used Arch too for a few years, but at some point Arch started getting progressively worse with every new release. I finally dropped it when they switched to systemd as their init system. Gentoo is currently one of the very few Linux systems that can be kept clean from systemd
Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #146 on: September 10, 2017, 08:36:54 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
I think when I use Linux I'll start with Ubuntu and experiment with different types afterwards, see what works best for me. Any issues with any drivers or anything with Linux?
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #147 on: September 10, 2017, 11:15:05 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I had issues with the internet driver for Linux mint, but not ubuntu

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #148 on: September 11, 2017, 01:11:22 AM » Author: Ash
The drivers break down to

- open drivers that dont have controversy around them

- open drivers made by reverse engineering the Windows drivers, containing proprietary firmware hacked out of Windows drivers, violating patents and such

- proprietary drivers

All Linux systems ship the open drivers

Linux systems like Ubuntu tend to not ship the hacked ones by default, and sometimes make them harder to install than necessary, for example by not including the repoository in the enabled repositories. Systems like Gentoo sometimes ship them and sometimes dont, but they dont put obstacles for installing them. Some systems (maybe Mint is one of them ?) do ship them by default

Proprietary drivers most of the time dont ship with the systems, for 2 reasons :

- They tend to break the system during upgrades at a later time

- The licenses of some of them are worded so, including them with the Linux system and making copies of it counts as piracy. But the user downloading them for every computer separately does not

But then again some systems dont care and do ship them included (maybe Mint)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: What kind of cell phone do you use? « Reply #149 on: November 29, 2017, 12:42:25 PM » Author: CEB1993
I have an old iPhone 6 that I have had for three years.  It's been a good phone and has even survived a drop into the swimming pool with no damage.  I am looking into an iPhone 7 for Christmas.  The only thing I don't like about the iPhones now is that they do not have a headphone jack anymore.  At least I know of good Bluetooth headphones by Philips.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies