Author Topic: G4T5/OF Lamps  (Read 1374 times)
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

G4T5/OF Lamps « on: April 09, 2014, 10:38:21 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I looked around on eLight bulbs and found that they sell a Sylvania G4T5/OF, which means "ozone free." I know ozone's bad for you, but does that also mean you can be around the lamp and you won't get a skin condition? I'll be buying a lamp anyway, to show people how fluorescents work in my 4 watt strip light. I guess I'll have to wear sunglasses and stuff.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: G4T5/OF Lamps « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 01:27:39 AM » Author: themaritimegirl
Interesting find. A did a little searching on here, and it appears ozone-free lamps simply do not emit the region of UVC light that produces ozone. However, it still emits the rest of the germicidal lamp spectrum, and is therefore hazardous.

Easiest way, I think, to be able to run it safely would be to get or fabricate a glass or plastic tube just long enough that you can slip it over the lamp, and have the lamp in the fixture. Or, a glass or plastic container-shaped thing that you could cover the entire fixture with. Either way, you would have one cool decoration!

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: G4T5/OF Lamps « Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 05:01:38 AM » Author: dor123
This lamp is still dangerous to eyes and skin. Operate it only in enclosed fixture with a glass that block UV radiation.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Lampwizard

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: G4T5/OF Lamps « Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 02:17:31 PM » Author: Lampwizard
There are two dominant (equally) dangerous UVC lines in the emission spectrum of a mercury lamp: 185nm and 254nm. The 185nm radiation does not only kill germs but also produces harmful ozone out of oxygen: 3x O2 > 2x O3. The 254nm radiation does not lead to ozone production but does kill germs. The germicidal lamp you have has special glass that filters out the 185nm radiation, hence the designation "ozone free". But this lamp is still dangerous to your eyes and skin.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-vapor_lamp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet_germicidal_irradiation
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 02:21:40 PM by Lampwizard » Logged

Philips colour 27: best fluorescent tube colour.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies