Author Topic: Old MV Tunnel Lights  (Read 1197 times)
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Old MV Tunnel Lights « on: September 03, 2022, 07:45:15 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I'm probably just stabbing in the dark with this one. Back in the early 80's back when I lived in Connecticut , I remember seeing MV tunnel lights unlike anything I remember . I got a decent look at one while we were sitting in stopped traffic in the tunnel . The fixtures were 400w MV with clear BT-37 lamps in various states of disrepair . What caught my attention was the fact that these lights didn't have a conventional socket . The lamps were mounted horizontally with spring clips retaining both the BT end and the base with another spring to contact the center contact of the base . Non of these had any form of refractor left that I remember and quite a few either didn't work or had missing lamps .

Has anyone ever seen or heard of such a thing or is my memory just playing games with me .

I believe the tunnel I remember is what's now called the "heroes tunnel" on the Wilbur Cross Parkway The current lighting appears to still be 180w SOX as of January of 2022 !  :lps: https://goo.gl/maps/SKihc52JLu77trHP8
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 03:07:35 PM by wide-lite 1000 » Logged

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Milwaukeeman2003

View Posts
View Gallery

Series circuit LPS!

Re: Old MV Tunnel Lights « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 12:18:16 PM » Author: Milwaukeeman2003
They were still there as of August 2023!

Screw the 120 lumen per watt mandate.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old MV Tunnel Lights « Reply #2 on: April 28, 2024, 03:15:21 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I don't know the status but I read that's there's been discussion of renovating the tunnel for a few years now.  I wish I could find photos of the original MV lighting ! It was nothing like I've ever seen before !

Maxim

View Posts
View Gallery

Stop replacing fixtures that can be retrofitted.

Re: Old MV Tunnel Lights « Reply #3 on: April 28, 2024, 09:43:07 PM » Author: Maxim
Funny you mention this tunnel, Tim!  ;D I traversed through this very sad-looking SOX installation just last June.

My parents go through this area year and have for many years now, so I'll ask them.  :bulbman:

Collector of all kinds of lamps, gear, and fixtures.
My favorite lighting technologies at the moment are incandescent and mercury vapor, and my favorite Big 3 lighting brand of the late 20th century is GTE Sylvania.

About that Westinghouse Lifeguard disease, I think I've caught it. Thanks Eric! 8)

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Old MV Tunnel Lights « Reply #4 on: April 28, 2024, 09:53:54 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Last time I was thru that tunnel , the sad looking lighting was the MV system ! Back then I lived near Westport CT .

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies