Author Topic: What style of yard blaster is this, it's my favorite shape!  (Read 2813 times)
MikeT1982

View Posts
View Gallery

What style of yard blaster is this, it's my favorite shape! « on: August 23, 2012, 06:20:16 PM » Author: MikeT1982
Hey guys this is my favorite style yardblaster.  Even though the one died down my back road, it was not this style but rather the one with the cone style ballast housing.  There is one of these in my area and it is at a restaurant and burns 24/7 and is suuuuuper dim/ blue green!! With a clear bulb! Exactly the way I like them.  I wonder if I could obtain it somehow, maybe buy a new one from lowes with those big cfl inside and offer to swap for a fresh fixture with energy saving compact fluorescent! It's a family owned restaurant so maybe they'd be up for this! I couldn't get picture to load so here is the link guys to a sketch of this style, im curious if it's a special style!  Thanks!!

Oh I forgot to add, it's even at reachable height without a ladder!!

http://www.sa-ida.org/Security%20light-pole%20mv.JPG
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:22:00 PM by MikeT1982 » Logged
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What style of yard blaster is this, it's my favorite shape! « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 02:15:37 PM » Author: joseph_125
IIRC, they were made under the Regent and Handyman Electric names in the 80s and 90s. They sometimes pop up on eBay from time to time too.

Here's a picture of a NOS one:
MikeT1982

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What style of yard blaster is this, it's my favorite shape! « Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 02:44:25 AM » Author: MikeT1982
Thank you very much!  That is it!  With the 45 degree bulb :-). There is the one by the restaurant as well as one I have very good memories of as a child, it was at my best freinds house on a pole in the yard, with a twist timer switch.  We would have sleepovers and sneak out, twist it to 30 min maximum and play in the yard or what not causing micheif.  It had a noisy ballast and would take many strikes and humming to start.  It had a clear bulb :-). I even loved lighting at that age so I would love to start it when it was 20 degrees out and it was covered in snow as it would buzz and carry on and finally start, it is still there!  I think the house is abandoned but I want to park my car and walk up and twist the knob but don't want to get caught.  He and his parents  moved out in 2002, my memories are from 1989-92ish when I was about 8 yrs old :-) I now live about 10 min away much closer than when younger, up over the mountain :-) if I get the guts up to park and try firing it up I will video it. That'd be something if it still ran!  Oh, on a lighter side of things it was around that time when my dad would take me to the local lighting supply store in town because he knew I loved lighting (around 10 yrs old) and I saved up my allowance for a year to buy a Phillips minisox wall pack in fall of 1993. Being it was so expensive the lighting guy talked me into buying a 35 watt Electripak HPS wall pack fixture instead! The guys would give me hid lighting catalogs to have i wish so badly indidnt throw them out as ingot older. I put a cut off lamp cord on it to light it up in my room, then in 2000 when my fmy moved I had my dad put it up on the side of their house, finally around 2009 the oem generic bulb died and we got a Sylvania Lumalux bulb for it.  Then in 2010 my parents more and I moved and dad uninstalled it for me and the wall pack now lives on the rear garage peak of my wife and I house!  I use it at night to grill and relax outside with (she works 3rds I work 2nds) and its still going strong, the Lumalux bulb is much smoother white yellow than original generic bulb :-) I still hope some day to own a Phillips Minisox 18 watt LPS wall pack or one of these Handyman mercury lamps though!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 02:59:34 AM by MikeT1982 » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies