Author Topic: Ballast codes of MHs, HPSs, LPSs. and Mercury.  (Read 17726 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Ballast codes of MHs, HPSs, LPSs. and Mercury. « Reply #15 on: November 27, 2020, 08:12:13 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Memorizing lamp voltages and currents would be difficult for anyone, so I'm sure Europeans rely on the etch or packaging sold with the lamp.

I did revise the ansi code table to include some of the old and obsolete mercury vapor lamps as well as the old and obsolete ANSI codes.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast codes of MHs, HPSs, LPSs. and Mercury. « Reply #16 on: November 27, 2020, 08:31:38 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
32w M-100 PSMH  : https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=12766&pos=10&pid=189303

And don't forget all of the crazy Venture PSMH wattages : http://hid.venturelighting.com/LampsHTMLDocuments/ups_selection.html

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast codes of MHs, HPSs, LPSs. and Mercury. « Reply #17 on: November 28, 2020, 07:03:23 AM » Author: Rommie
Memorizing lamp voltages and currents would be difficult for anyone, so I'm sure Europeans rely on the etch or packaging sold with the lamp.
Nothing on the lamp packaging says what ballast it requires, sadly. Which is why I like the ANSI system.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Ballast codes of MHs, HPSs, LPSs. and Mercury. « Reply #18 on: November 28, 2020, 01:49:06 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
One of the problems that I can see with the ANSI code system for American HID lamps is that it leads us here to think that any lamp used on a mismatched ANSI code ballast will ALWAYS burn out instantly even though a certain pair of lamp types has similar voltage and current such as 150w M102 metal halide and 150w S56 high pressure sodium. I saw this type of thinking when I saw one member who had a 150w M102 pulse start metal halide wall pack and thought that 150w S56 high pressure sodium lamps will damage it.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast codes of MHs, HPSs, LPSs. and Mercury. « Reply #19 on: November 28, 2020, 03:35:44 PM » Author: Medved
One of the problems that I can see with the ANSI code system for American HID lamps is that it leads us here to think that any lamp used on a mismatched ANSI code ballast will ALWAYS burn out instantly even though a certain pair of lamp types has similar voltage and current such as 150w M102 metal halide and 150w S56 high pressure sodium. I saw this type of thinking when I saw one member who had a 150w M102 pulse start metal halide wall pack and thought that 150w S56 high pressure sodium lamps will damage it.

Well, very often a different ballast load curve shape even with equal nominal voltage and current does mean performance degradation.
The matching ANSI code just mean not only the basic rated voltages or currents match, but as well the load shape, current crest factor, eventually extra protection features (because e.g. MH can rectify very significantly at EOL and xo damage the ballast, even causing fire, so require the ballast to be equipped by a thermal cutout), or e.g. ignitor delay timers (inhibiting pulsing for some time when the lamp does not ignite within few seconds of pulsing, and restart the ignition pulses after few minutes, so the lamp has cooled off; so the lamp isn't worn off by cold electrode sparking when cooling down during hot restarting; these timers needs to match the lamp thermal inertia if to be effective).
Not speaking about higher efficacy lower power lamp variants, designed to replace the higher wattage original (so a lamp may be just 320W rated, but designed to operate on a 400W ballast; so even when the rated power wont match, the ANSI code will and so guarantees the compatibility).

Yes, sometimes some lamp may be able to operate on other ballast, but it is not guaranteed it will really perform as intended.

No more selfballasted c***

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Ballast codes of MHs, HPSs, LPSs. and Mercury. « Reply #20 on: November 28, 2020, 04:49:59 PM » Author: lights*plus
What Medved mentions are good & valid points. This is why I'll rarely mix-match lamps with ballasts. I will, however, mix ceramic with quartz type MH ballasts when I can't use dedicated C- or M-type ballasts for my CMH lamps. They're as close as they can get but do it occasionally. Because today I can afford HPS & mercury ballasts, I never mix these types of lamps for anything other than what's required. Both HPS and MV have become (now in 2020) too precious to risk their premature failure.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast codes of MHs, HPSs, LPSs. and Mercury. « Reply #21 on: November 28, 2020, 04:54:44 PM » Author: Rommie
I wasn't aware there were dedicated ballasts for quartz or ceramic MH lamps, not over here at any rate. I do know that some of the same wattage run at different currents, for example I have some 250W lamps that run at 2.13A and some that are 3.0A and it's easy to get them mixed up, as packaging rarely if ever quotes the lamp current. Which is why I'm a fan of the ANSI system, it at least gets you somewhere close to the mark, even if not exactly.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Ballast codes of MHs, HPSs, LPSs. and Mercury. « Reply #22 on: January 16, 2021, 03:10:19 AM » Author: lights*plus
Revisiting this thread to clarify for myself this ballast https://www.ebay.com/itm/114430311314.

Says M175 ANSI ballast is for 22w lamp.
HidGuy86

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast codes of MHs, HPSs, LPSs. and Mercury. « Reply #23 on: February 12, 2021, 12:50:59 AM » Author: HidGuy86
ansi m156 is 20 watt mh :emh:
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies