Author Topic: Black Light Identification  (Read 1704 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Black Light Identification « on: July 09, 2016, 03:10:15 PM » Author: wattMaster
How do you identify the phosphor used in Black Lights?
The package/etch for the tubes doesn't help, and are there any ways to specifically know what is used on the Philips black light F15T8s?

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Black Light Identification « Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 03:16:28 PM » Author: Solanaceae
There're the BLB lamps (the deep purple ones; they used to be made with woods glass, now it's an enamel coat over the glass) and then the uv phosphor ones used in bug zappers and also some rock fluorescent analyses.
Also the clear ones (not really black lites) used in germ bulbs.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 03:19:25 PM by Solanaceae » Logged

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Black Light Identification « Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 03:32:04 PM » Author: wattMaster
There're the BLB lamps (the deep purple ones; they used to be made with woods glass, now it's an enamel coat over the glass) and then the uv phosphor ones used in bug zappers and also some rock fluorescent analyses.
No, I'm talking about BLB, there are several phosphors used in those, and I want to know how to identify the phosphors used in them.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 03:45:02 PM by wattMaster » Logged

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: Black Light Identification « Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 04:01:37 PM » Author: RCM442
No, I'm talking about BLB, there are several phosphors used in those, and I want to know how to identify the phosphors used in them.

I'm pretty sure they are all the same phosphor

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Black Light Identification « Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 04:04:05 PM » Author: wattMaster

I'm pretty sure they are all the same phosphor
There's at least two of them, with different compositions, I think.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Black Light Identification « Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 04:38:18 PM » Author: Medved
I know about at least two general types of UV fluorescent phosphors:
One type generates just the long wave UVA and is used in BL and BLB (the BLB has an extra filter blocking all the visible coming directly from the mercury discharge itself).
Then are the tanning bed types, generating shorter wave UVB as well.

And within each category, the actual compositions may vary among evolution and manufacturers as well.
I would guess an accurate spectral analysis may tell way more, similar as with the visible. Maybe with the BLB it would require to peel off some of the filter coat (in the recent years, the fluorescents do not use a real Woods glass, but actually just a common glass and the filter is then in the form of lacquer applied onto the tube; one of the reasons is the difficulty to work with the way more fragile Woods glass, it's cost and recently the fact the composition of the Woods glass does not meet the ROHS directive)

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Black Light Identification « Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 05:28:23 PM » Author: Ash
Diffract the light with a prism and project on a Fluorescent screen ?
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Black Light Identification « Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 05:29:34 PM » Author: wattMaster
Diffract the light with a prism and project on a Fluorescent screen ?
Problem is, all of the spectrometers we can affordably use are not accurate enough to identify the phosphor.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies