Author Topic: London Trip 2022, what will I find?  (Read 2830 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #15 on: December 06, 2021, 06:30:05 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ WWHID.

The cost in excess baggage to get what he did buy home would be far greater than the cost to ship the items.  :poof:

That's if he was allowed to do it in the first place. ???

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #16 on: December 06, 2021, 06:46:35 PM » Author: joseph_125
I've managed to bring back stuff like HID lamps, small fluorescent lamps, misc ballasts, small fluorescent battens and incandescent lamps on international trips but I usually travel light and I brought a large suitcase so I had the room to. Just gotta pay attention to the max size of the suitcase you can bring and the max weight allowed. The few times I did it, I didn't really have to pay anything extra as I managed to fit everything within the 2 checked bags, 50lb each allowance.

My main concern was with breakage but I managed to bring most of that back with minimal breakage. Larger items like luminaires, longer fluorescent lamps and larger HID lamps would probably be more of an issue.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #17 on: December 06, 2021, 06:52:41 PM » Author: Rommie
The problem I see here is that it's a school trip, visiting central London, which isn't big on electrical/lighting stores.

We don't have stuff like discharge lamps and ballasts on retail sale here, we don't have places like Restore. So where are you going to find this stuff, never mind transport it back home..?

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #18 on: December 06, 2021, 07:13:16 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, I suppose it's going to be hard to get some free time to go hunting for lighting equipment if he's on a school trip. It'd sure raise a few eyebrows that's for sure.
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #19 on: December 06, 2021, 07:38:24 PM » Author: Econolite03
I thought those were replaced?
There’s still a small group of SRPs left in portions of the parking lot, along with some rare SOX acorn post tops.

Now on Linktree

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #20 on: December 06, 2021, 07:55:10 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I see, hopefully they remain.

@joseph_125, Yea there's probably zero chance of me bringing back anything lighting related, except for photos.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #21 on: December 06, 2021, 10:34:30 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Some things to bring home on an international trip via plane would include catching maintenance crews in the act of performing LED conversions and asking if anything could be saved or small roadkilled street lantern components. Personally, if I go on an international trip via plane, I would rather bring something lighting related back home rather than nothing. On my first trip to London, I brought home a B22 ceiling mount lampholder and a LED B22 bulb as a travel souvenir. While I looked at the installation instructions for my ceiling mount B22 lampholder, the wiring seemed rather complicated because I was not used to seeing multiple wires dedicated for certain functions such as "switch" wires and "loop" terminals. I was simply used to installing fixtures by matching the live wires, neutral wires, and "earth" wires. For me, buying something lighting related gave me a somewhat better understanding of the lighting systems used in Europe.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 10:44:35 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #22 on: December 08, 2021, 04:26:21 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I see, hopefully they remain.

@joseph_125, Yea there's probably zero chance of me bringing back anything lighting related, except for photos.

In some cases, North American members inexperienced with European lighting would think it is dangerous to operate European lighting in North America.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #23 on: December 08, 2021, 05:00:44 AM » Author: Rommie
On what do you base this assumption..? I'm curious  :wndr:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #24 on: December 08, 2021, 05:34:12 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Some North American members would often say to NEVER run European HID lamps on North American ballasts because they have NO ANSI code.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #25 on: December 08, 2021, 05:45:14 PM » Author: joseph_125
I'm curious where you got this impression of this from too. Especially since you just made a wide sweeping statement that implies all of us say something like that.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #26 on: December 08, 2021, 06:19:10 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I had this assumption because I have often seen many North American members tell other people to only operate HID lamps on the correct ballasts by matching up the ANSI codes.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: London Trip 2022, what will I find? « Reply #27 on: December 08, 2021, 06:36:37 PM » Author: Rommie
Ok people, can we get this topic back on track, please..? It is supposed to be about what Cree will see on his forthcoming London trip.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies