Author Topic: A Modern Oddity  (Read 4640 times)
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: A Modern Oddity « Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 10:53:54 PM » Author: nicksfans
Yeah, I guess you could take a photo but I'm not sure how much it'll help.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A Modern Oddity « Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 11:08:03 PM » Author: wattMaster
Here's the photos.
I had to crop one of them to make it fit.
Here's a small wonder: I could actually take a photo of the afterglow on IS!
But only on the highest speed setting.
The afterglow normally looks green, But the camera picks it up as an Evil Blue Glow.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: A Modern Oddity « Reply #17 on: May 20, 2016, 11:11:31 PM » Author: nicksfans
Hmm, I'm actually seeing a little bit of what look like yellow stripes in the first photo. If you have access to a magnetic F40T12 fixture, you may be able to light one of the F32T8s in it just for a brief test. That way you could see the stripes more easily.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:13:57 PM by nicksfans » Logged

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A Modern Oddity « Reply #18 on: May 20, 2016, 11:18:45 PM » Author: wattMaster
Hmm, I'm actually seeing a little bit of what look like yellow stripes in the first photo. If you have access to a magnetic F40T12 fixture, you may be able to light one of the F32T8s in it just for a brief test. That way you could see the stripes more easily.
Nope. Nobody nearby has access to one of those. Except in Cocoa beach. The condominiums there have a few. But no way is my high end camera going there.
The ideal solution is to retrofit my shop lite with a brand new magnetic ballast.
Also, I just thought that maybe my green "off" afterglow is just an illusion, And it is really just blue, Not green.
The local assisted living has some crazy flicker in their elevator, I will have to schedule an inspection.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:21:08 PM by wattMaster » Logged

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: A Modern Oddity « Reply #19 on: May 20, 2016, 11:20:33 PM » Author: nicksfans
I'm not sure how the afterglow colors work or how they can be used to identify the phosphor type. I've always used the camera method or the CD method.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A Modern Oddity « Reply #20 on: May 20, 2016, 11:22:13 PM » Author: wattMaster
Could you provide a link to a magnetic or equivalent ballast?
I have to go to bed now. See you in the morning.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:25:25 PM by wattMaster » Logged

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: A Modern Oddity « Reply #21 on: May 20, 2016, 11:27:57 PM » Author: nicksfans
Sadly, magnetic ballasts for F32T8s are hard to find. Also, if you want to keep the current fixture, you will most likely need to replace the lampholders as fixtures that come instant start from the factory usually use shunted lampholders, which will only work with instant start.

I did find some single-lamp magnetic F32T8 ballasts here and here. You could find a cheap single-lamp F40T12 striplight and convert it to F32T8 using one of these ballasts.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A Modern Oddity « Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 08:11:28 AM » Author: wattMaster
Sadly, magnetic ballasts for F32T8s are hard to find. Also, if you want to keep the current fixture, you will most likely need to replace the lampholders as fixtures that come instant start from the factory usually use shunted lampholders, which will only work with instant start.

I did find some single-lamp magnetic F32T8 ballasts here and here. You could find a cheap single-lamp F40T12 striplight and convert it to F32T8 using one of these ballasts.
I'm up. I can't afford those right now. What would we do if by the time I can get them they are sold out?
I don't know where to find magnetic ballasts to test my FL Tubes. Any ideas?
Also, quick rule, No ebay.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:13:38 AM by wattMaster » Logged

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: A Modern Oddity « Reply #23 on: May 21, 2016, 08:19:49 AM » Author: nicksfans
See if you can find a single-lamp F40T12 rapid-start strip at a ReStore. I've seen them for like $5 before. The F30-F40 NPF RS ballasts in those will usually run F32T8s if you run your hand down the lamp to get it to start. ReStores are a good place to get magnetic fluorescent ballasts/fixtures, as are curbs on trash days and certain recycling centers.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A Modern Oddity « Reply #24 on: May 21, 2016, 08:24:41 AM » Author: wattMaster
See if you can find a single-lamp F40T12 rapid-start strip at a ReStore. I've seen them for like $5 before. The F30-F40 NPF RS ballasts in those will usually run F32T8s if you run your hand down the lamp to get it to start. ReStores are a good place to get magnetic fluorescent ballasts/fixtures, as are curbs on trash days and certain recycling centers.
Nope. Our ReStore only sells NOS bulbs.
Any "At Home" ideas? Could you make an induction circuit?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 08:20:58 PM by wattMaster » Logged

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: A Modern Oddity « Reply #25 on: May 21, 2016, 08:29:13 AM » Author: nicksfans
I have never looked into making my own ballast, so I couldn't really advise you on how to do it. The only suggestions I have at this point are a) keep an eye out on trash days and at recycling centers that take fluorescent stuff (and will let you keep it), and b) buy a fixture/ballast off of someone here.

If you are interested, I will send you a single-lamp magnetic F30-F40 RS NPF ballast for the cost of shipping. I have no use for it and don't expect to anytime soon.

I have to go for a while. I will be back this afternoon.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: A Modern Oddity « Reply #26 on: May 21, 2016, 08:30:16 AM » Author: wattMaster
I have never looked into making my own ballast, so I couldn't really advise you on how to do it. The only suggestions I have at this point are a) keep an eye out on trash days and at recycling centers that take fluorescent stuff (and will let you keep it), and b) buy a fixture/ballast off of someone here.

If you are interested, I will send you a single-lamp magnetic F30-F40 RS NPF ballast for the cost of shipping. I have no use for it and don't expect to anytime soon.
No, Thanks.
I will have to keep an eye out.
Something you could make with it is a homemade fixture or a portable bulb tester.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:33:46 AM by wattMaster » Logged

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies